Home Buying in Lebanon>Question Details

Wayne Happ, Other/Just Looking in Califon, NJ

I'm making an offer for a house for the very first time. House Buying newbie. I've been informed that I'll

Asked by Wayne Happ, Califon, NJ Wed Nov 28, 2007

need a realestate attorney if it gets to a sale.

I have no idea what this costs. What would be the going rate for this in North New jersey?

Answers

7
Hi Wayne,
Congrats! I work mostly in Morris County and the attorneys that I have worked with charge anywhere from 750-1000. You might want to ask what the filing fees are and if they charge extra to review the title work. These are both areas that padding of fees can occur. You should not be charged extra to review title and the filing fees is based on how many pages the deed is. Thoses are the answers you want to hear from your attorney. Good Luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2007
Hi Wayne,
I am a Realtor in the Clinton area. There are many area attorneys that are available and some I could recommend. The prices quoted are accurate, 700-900. There are some questions you should ask when interviewing, will there be additional fees if the deal doesn't go through, will you be speaking to the attorney or the assistant, and many more. Are you working with a Realtor? If so, ask him/her to help you in the process. If not, I'll be happy to help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2007
Yes..I agree. I am in South Jersey and our rates fall just about the same. 700-900. An attorney is a great idea, however it is your choice if you have one or not. I suggest it, because you are new to the buying market. Good luck!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2007
Hi Wayne,

Congratulations on making yur first offer. I'm sure the adrenaline is flowing. Typical fees are $700-$1200, with $900 being quite typical, providing there aren't a lot of complications.

Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly!
Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2007
The state of NJ does not require an attorney, but it is STRONGLY suggested. Rates vary from attorney to attorney. I suggest asking your realtor for a recommendation.
Your attorney costs should run you on average about $950. Keep in mind of your other closing costs, which will be your appraisal, mortgage application fee, pre-paid ins for 1 year, a qtr of taxes, title work, survey and home inspection. all of this could be between 2-3% of your purchase price. If you would like to know more just contact me anytime. Good luck, I am always excited to help first time home buyers.
Web Reference: http://www.agentjustin.com
The previous responses are all accurate. If you believe your agent is working in your best interest, ask for some referrals. If not, ask someone you trust. You do want an attorney that does a good amount of real estate law. Feel free to contact me for more information. I don't make money for referrals, just my inspections. Speaking of which, make sure you hire a good one. They must be impartial to the sale to properly serve you.

Rafi Footerman
Mid Jersey Inspections
732-906-4100
NJ Home Inspection Lic. #076900