aici, Renter in 49612

I'm looking to stop renting and buy a home for my kids and myself. My credit is not looking good, how do I start getting this fixed?

Asked by aici, 49612 Mon Apr 7, 2014

Answers

13
Good for you for seeking help! Mortgage rates go up for those with low FICO scores (see below), so you definitely want to get your credit in check. I agree with others about obtaining a free credit report so you know where you stand, and hiring a great company to repair major damages, but I might also suggest not opening up any other lines of credit - this can negatively affect your score.

All the best to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 8, 2014
I would start by getting a current credit report. You have a legal right to a free credit report once a year. Go online and order one. Then you can review what your issues are and go from there.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 8, 2014
You can work with a lender who can help fix your credit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 8, 2014
The answer depends on what's wrong. If you have a bankruptcy or a foreclosure that is much harder to work around then a few missed payments 5 years back.

Have a lender pull your credit and identify the worst items effecting your score and then hire a reputable credit repair company to help you get it all fixed up.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 7, 2014
Who would be a reputable company to work with? (thank you for the reply)
Flag Mon Apr 7, 2014
Contact Kelly Price, 773-501-6653, kprice@wintrustmortgage.com

She can run your credit, identify the issues and give you a game plan to work towards improving your credit. Then when you're ready I'll be waiting for you with open arms! :0)

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 7, 2014
aici,
Congratulations on taking the first step. Fixing credit depends on what is/was wrong with it, but the basic steps are to pay bills on time or early. Use, but do not abuse credit. This means only buy on credit what you can pay cash for. When you get stretched out financially, you get stressed out personally and things go down hill. Keep your balances low. If you have collections, pay off any recent ones, but not older ones until instructed by your mortgage lender. Do not close any accounts, but if you feel tempted to shop for what you can't afford take the cards out of your wallet and put them away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 7, 2014
Aici,
One last thought. Saving money, even just a little every week adds up and can protect you from emergencies that cause you to go back into debt. Eliminating as much debt as possible will better position you to qualify for a mortgage.
Flag Mon Apr 7, 2014
Hi Aici,

It's good that you've considered purchasing a home. It could actually be cheaper to buy rather than rent. Even if your credit isn't that great as I do have a mortgage product that assist people with purchasing property in specific areas. There's also down payment assistance money available for Illinois & Indiana that provides $6,000, $7,500, $10,000 and $15,000. You can couple several down payment programs together which makes for a larger down payment. The downpayment programs have some restrictions so please call me to discuss them in detail.

Shaunta Gray
Coldwell Banker Residential
773-766-2841
If you are still in the market to purchase, please know I can provide financing options with credit scores down to 550. 550 - 580 scores require 10% down and 580+ require 3.5% down. If you are a veteran, you can purchase with 0 down. Feel free to contact me for more info.
Larry Bernstein
Cell: (847) 815 - 8229
Em: lbernstein@afncorp.com
Web: http://larrybernstein.afncorp.com

Thank you.
Hire a credit repair company? Talk to a lender and tell them you want to get preapproved. They will pull your credit and determine what you need to take care of on it to bump up your scores. It's not rocket science for them.

My brother is a lender and can help you get your credit fixed for FREE.
As many have shared here, find a LOCAL lender that is willing to help you work through your credit issues. Start saving money, there are several blogs online that can give you tips about how to think about spending money differently. Google Save More Money. You can have more money in 2 ways. Earn More or Spend Less. Write down where every penny of your money goes, and look at that to cut out the things you really don't need.

http://about.me/paul.cionczyk
Have a lender pull your credit and identify the worst items effecting your score and then hire a reputable credit repair company to help you work on getting it fixed. In most cases, it will take time...but it's worth the effort.
I would contact a lender to get some advice.
work with a lender by the name of Jim Strong as he will help you with your credit situation and get you financed when you are ready. (read my blog about where I had a lender help someone with bad credit) Please contact me (Jeff.Nobleza@BairdWarner.com) when you are ready to talk about looking at homes.

Jim Strong
Loan Officer
American Portfolio Mortgage Corp.
Office 708-290-3151
Fax 708-529-3415
Cell 708-299-1804
5165 W. 111th St Alsip IL 60803
E-mail jstrong@goapmc.com
NMLS # 230202 IL License # 031:0007342
IN License # 175656