Chris Grimm, Home Buyer in Cave Creek, AZ

I'm looking to buy my first house. What are some good questions to ask potential Realtors during my initial interview. Dont say google it please.

Asked by Chris Grimm, Cave Creek, AZ Tue Aug 9, 2011

Honestly I've seen such great answers by actual agents here I thought I would post on here to see what I get back. I'm all for using google but this site lets you know you're getting an answer from someone in the business and not just someone with too much freetime on their hands.

Answers

15
Once you have a few that you like call each one of them and see if they answer their phone. You would be supprised on how many will go to a voice mail.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 17, 2011
Rather than being concerned about interview questions with a Realtor, express what you want out of the relationship and experience - and what your wants/needs are in relationship to the house you're looking for. You'll find out more about whether or not you have a good fit by having an informal, relaxed conversation about your needs, and listening for cues to tell you if it's a good fit. For example, discuss the various neighborhoods that you'd consider, and tell them why you want to be there. Then listen for what they say about that. Do they seem stubbornly focused on one particular area that they want to steer you towards? Or are they open and helpful about keeping your options open during the early stages? Do they answer your questions in a straightforward, frank manner, or are they continually hedging? Discuss various loan options, and the pros/cons of different ways to go with financing. While your Realtor may not be doing your loan (preferably), they should be well informed and able to discuss financing options intelligently. Do you feel rushed and pigeonholed, or do you truly feel you are being heard, and a customized approach that fits your needs is being developed?

Finally, once you have a good feel (or not) for an agent, ask for at least five references of recent buyers that would be willing to talk with you. Anyone can do a great job when the going is easy - what you want to know is: How does this agent do with problem solving and conflict resolution? Will they protect you, or throw you under the bus for a commission? That's not something you're going to find out from the agent themselves.

Good luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 11, 2011
Chris, I'm not much of a "list" person, but here are a few ways we characterize buyers:

1. Owner occupant or investor?
2. Motivation - do they really want to buy or do they just want to look around at things?
3. Time frame?
4. Financing?

So it may be worthwhile to find out if the agent you're talking to works with buyers like you!

To my mind, the essentials are that the agent is a good personality fit, has the time to work for you, and the knowledge and expertise to get the keys into your hands. I know the economy's tough and a lot of agents have gone to work other jobs, but a buyer's agent just really needs to keep up on the inventory, and that's tough to do when you're back in the lab or whatever it is that they're doing.

It will help if you come prepared for the meetings with a sense of what your objectives are - price range, type of property, suitable locations. It's also good if all of the decision makers attend all of the meetings - if you have a spouse or partner or parent or adult children that are going to have a vote, then it's essential for them to be involved every step of the way - there's nothing like seeing fifteen or twenty houses without the spouse, then bringing the spouse in to the see the "best one," and have them say, "gee, it's nice and all, but it's hard for me to choose when it's the only one I've seen!"

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 11, 2011
With the right realtor you shouldn't have to ask many questions at all. It is our job to find you the perfect home and we can only do this by asking the right questions. The biggest indication that your realtor is doing their job correctly, especially with first time home buyers, is by the number of homes they come up with in their search. For Instance, if you tell your realtor what you want in a home and he comes back with 324 homes that match your search criteria, this is a sign that they did not ask the right questions to get you thinking about what it is you really want in a home. Asking the right questions as a realtor saves an enormouse amount of time in the long run. We should typically be able to narrow it down for you to no more than 30 homes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 11, 2011
I would want to know how well the agent knows the area. Have they sold other homes in the area. Agents that live/work in a specific area will have valuable anecdotal information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 11, 2011
Interview 2-3 agents...Do they listen to you and do you feel they have a good sense of your wants and needs? Good communication is key! Find out if they are familar with your area, their availability to show you homes, what is expected from each of you in your working relationship. When you find an agent you want to work with, be loyal and stick with that agent. The more time you spend working together, the better experience you will have in finding a home that fits your needs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 11, 2011
1. What is your process for helping people buy homes? Do you have a brochure? Handouts?
2. Do you have a 1st time home buyer presentation?
3. How available are you to me? What are your hours?
4. Is it actually you who helps me or do you have your assistants to do the work for you?
5. Do you have any special designations that help you consult with buyers?
6. How well do you know.... (area you are looking)?
7. Can I get 3 referrals from past clients?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 9, 2011
First and foremost make sure you like each other since you will be spending some time together. Interview two-three agencies and don’t be too concerned as to their locations; sometimes a local broker is no more skilled than one just outside your area. Ask about scheduling around your needs, who will choose the properties to be seen, can you expect updates on new listings and recently sold properties, and how often will communication occur, etc. Ask about current sales in your areas of interest, negotiating strategies, etc. Be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 9, 2011
Some of the things I think are important are

1. Are you a full time Realtor
2. Do they produce at least $5,000,000 in sales every year?
3. Are they top producers, or weekend warriors
4. Edcucation? Do they have a business degree?
5. Do they have business experience outside of Real Real Estate? Do they bring corporate experience to their job or did they fall into Real Estate?
6. Have they been selling Real Estate for at least 5 years? Let the newbies practice on friends and family.
7.Do they live and work in the area? If you are purchasing in Scottsdale or Cave Creek do you want a Realtor that lives and sells in GIlbert?

These are just some of the ideas to get you started.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.

John Forsyth HomeSmart - Elite Group.
602-625-4675
Chris,

Choose a full time agent with experience, one who provides value and most importantly how well do they know the area where you are looking for a home. Ask if they focus on a few areas or do they attempt to work the entire valley. Communication is very important, make sure they listen to your needs and match it with the right homes for you to tour. When you meet them be aware of how they present themselves, are they professional, organized and on time for your appointments.

All the best!

Deborah Griffin, Scottsdale Realtor 

HomeSmart, International

Cell:  480.403.1860

Email:  DeborahinAz@me.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 17, 2011
As you are 'hiring' the agent , the best thing to do is to 'interview' a few to make sure that you are both on the same page (personality fit) and that you are clear on what they can do to meet your needs in the home buying process as it is a very personal thing buying your new home you really want to trust that your realtor is someone you can trust and is listening to you and guiding you towards a successful closing with as little stress as possible while going through the buying process.
warm regards,
Cristine L Masson
Prudential AZ Properties
cristine.masson@pruaz.com
480 748 1120
Ask the Realtor if they are full time or part time agent.
HI Chris
I would work with a Realtor you know is listening to you. Have they uncovered the goals and prepared you for the steps in buying a home. A thorough consultation does not mean they say "sure let's get out and look!" Have they advised you on what to expect in today's market and how to get through the process. Our job is not just to find the home for you but educate you along the way, protect your interests and get the deal you love!
So Ask, 1) What do I need to know about buying a home in today's market? 2) How will you keep me informed? 3) What do I need to do to be prepared so my experience is positive. 4) Are you a full or part time Realtor 5) Have you ever had a complaint? (check public records) 6) How long have you been working in the area/Real Estate, 7) Why do you want to work with me (you the buyer).

The answers you receive will tell you if the Realtor has a plan, is informed, willing to inform you and therefore assure you they are the right choice.

Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams AZ Realty
480-600-6213
The question that should open a discussion for you to make the most informed decision on what Realtor to work with is.....What benefit is there to working with you?
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
I'm going out on a limb here to say that I get asked a lot of questions by potential clients-- many good, many bad, about the number of houses I have helped folks buy and what price conssessions I got for them. But the bottom line is this. If you sit down in the Realtor's office for 30 minutes and you don't feel like they would treat your purchase with the same care they would give to heir own family member, KEEP LOOKING. You should feel that their motivation in NOT money, but rather pride in a great outcome and a friend for life. For the last 2 years, my clients have voted me as one of the top 7% of Realtors in the metropolitan area where I live. I had nothing to do with the survey. That is what a good realtor works for. Find that person.