Home Buying in Stinson Tower>Question Details

bvikkz, Renter in Albuquerque, NM

I'm looking to buy a house in Albuquerque and I've been told to stay away from the SW side of town due to poor housing quality. Is this accurate?

Asked by bvikkz, Albuquerque, NM Fri Jan 25, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1085802506-656-Cottontail-St-…

Answers

20
simplymarvey’s answer
If you haven't already, take a drive west on I-40 to 98th Street (if that's the area you are looking at). Currently, there is very little out that way, other than houses. You'll need to drive for any major shopping. My daughter was in the home building business and did mention some issues in the SW area. You can always check things like crime stats and other demographics by going to the city data website. Ultimately I purchased in the Taylor Ranch area...and couldn't be happier. Close proximity to major roads and shopping...I refer to the area as a "bedroom community". Check out the area...you may just fall in love with the Northwest area of Albuquerque.
The Westside is over-populated, over-rated, and over-priced-including Taylor Ranch, Coors Boulevard will wear out even a new vehicle, why do you think there's all those car lots-anyway if your intent, buy a 1/2 acre in Rio Rancho, or a modest mansion in Paradise Hills.
Flag Wed May 8, 2013
The South Valley, is a class structured disparaged value hodgepodge of a mess, but If you got in early there were some outstanding deals-and more than likely still are-there are a lot of quaint adobes, and other types of properties, like horse properties-Get this, I'm no expert on the South Valley, but it's always been viewed as a kinda poverty stricken area-but there are real great wealthy properties there, fortunately for the clandestine owners.

The South Valley has come up in recent years, with municipal developments, which of course the vato locos instantly applied their own understanding.

The lucky ones, stayed and reaped appreciation-one still might find a suitable property-for sale by owner.

Adobe acres was the first and last sub-division development attempt at characterizing the Valley-Further South, there is beautiful farm land and estates in what is known as Pajarito-"Little Bird".

Of course the Valley, is along the Rio Grande, and some properties along La Vega road, have the river in their back yard.

Basically, the demand factor is less, than the North Valley, but that never stopped Mcdonald's, except perhaps for the first and only Mcdonald's robbery ever reported in Albuquerque, but it is still there, presumptively.
I have a listing in SW Albuquerque off 98th & Central that you can view to get an idea of the area. It's priced at $89,900. To view property details and all available photos, go to: http://goo.gl/CynSG

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference: http://www.syan.com
I hope you got some great feedback. I am a very experienced Realtor for the West Side of Aluquerque. There are differences in any neighborhood. I will be able to help you through the process of finding what is right for you. I have worked with several clients that were not familar with Albuquerque and they have all been pleased with the homes they have chosen. Please feel free to contact me I would love to work with you.

Melissa Padilla
West USA Realty New Mexico
melissapadilla5@aol.com
505-203-5205
I am buying a home in the Wyoming - Paseo Del Norte area. Try calling our realtor Tracy Highspencer
8300 Carmel Avenue, NE
Suite 302
Albuquerque, NM 87122
phone: 505.934.1646

. He is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. We have been looking for about a year and a half waiting for our home in Tx to sell and he has been very patient and always willing to show us any house we found we wanted to look at

he will be very truthfull and honest about any questions or concerns you would have about homes in the area

He sells homes all over ABQ and surrounding areas \

http://www.century21.com/real-estate-agent/profile/tracy-hig…
Hello, it's Michelle again, I forgot to mention, our home is for sale, MLS # 750384.
I live in the same area, (98th and I-40) like the last lady, for the last ten years, and have LOVED every minute of it! I Have three full baths, huge garden and yard, and all the house I'd ever dream of having! Follow your heart!
My husband and I just bought a house last year and I did not want to live anywhere near the southwest side of town, because I do think the crime is worse in that part of town. I know crime is everywhere but I have never felt really comfortable on that side of town.

Anyway, we wanted to live in the suburbs (which there are plenty of them here) but we didn't want to live that far from central Albuquerque to have access to restaurants, theaters, etc. doctors, etc. There are many affordable suburbs in Rio Rancho and the Northwest side of Albuquerque but the commute doesn't justify it. We settled on a great location and picked a nice suburb right off I-40 freeway and 98th. We love it and feel like we got the best of both worlds with quiet suburb living with quick access to the freeway.

Hope it works out for you!
Neighborhood is about lifestyle. There are good and bad houses in ALL parts of town. If you are a first time home buyer, the most important part of the process is going to be working closely with a Realtor who is both familiar with the areas you like, and honest and knowledgeable about house quality in general. Work with someone you feel you have a good communication style with. There is so much to learn about houses - You want to work with someone who is constantly educating you as you go along, and - when the item in question is outside of their field of expertise, they have good folks to refer you to for an opinion.
Good luck, and most of all, HAVE FUN shopping around!
Do a web search on different builders; There are good and bad builders in Albuquerque. Where you live is a life style choice and only you can determine that.
Im glad to see all the answers provided to you as a resident of the southwest for over 15 yrs and a REALTOR.

I have lived in two homes in the SW built by two different builders and there are definitely differences. I am fortunate because after purchasing my first home, I knew what to look for when buying my second home and helping firsthome buyers I can adivse them on what to look for.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Roberta Robledo
505-261-6417
The property at 656 Cottontail is a Pulte home. Pulte is still in business in Albuquerque and many other states.

The SW quadrant of Albuquerque is too vast an area to generalize about by saying the housing there is poor quality. More homes are probably sold the the SW area that any other quadrant because there is so much new construction there. New construction comes with a warranty and a ten year statute of limitations.

Call me to discuss.
We have some great properties for sale in SW Albuquerque! Please email me exactly what you are looking for and I will be happy to send you some listings! You can email me at: sales@abqhomehelpteam.com. I look forward to assisting you.

I don't think this is true. It depends on the direct area your looking at. I've sold a homes in that area in as little as 4 days and the quality was great. I'm a long time realtor and native of NM. I'm here to help you.

Go to my website at reneefurst.com. I have a full service team that can get you qualified quickly and my closer is the best in the city. I'm happy to meet you on the week-end if the week is too busy for you. Call or email me when your ready to move.

Renee Furst
Equity New Mexico
rfursthome@gmail.com
(505) 459-7891
I don't want to be your Realtor so let me just tell it like it is. Everyone who isn't a Realtor will tell you to stay away from the SW or the SE but, the truth is that some of the oldest and most prestigious areas have a SW address. And it's the same for a SE address. It is absolutely unethical for any Realtor to "steer" you in any direction as far as neighborhoods go. So, you're going to have to do your own research to determine what area is good for you. Price plays a large part in which neighborhoods you can afford, so it would be to your advantage to find a Realtor and get pre-qualified so the question of price can be assessed. From that you will learn what areas you can afford. Good luck.
I understand the concern and it really comes down to type and age of the home and your housing budget. If you have a limited budget and your looking for a newer home, then the SW is the area and as your budget increases so does the areas that your new home may be located in. The SW has had more foreclosures and more bank owned homes than the others areas of Albuquerque and they are priced for owners with a limited budget.. Knowing what you can afford will help in determining what ares may work for you.Let me know if I can help in your search.
A good Realtor by your side can assist you through the good and bad. The goal is to Search through them all (regardless of neighborhood you pick to live in) and then have a throughly home inspection done to help in confirming the choose you have made is right for you.

I'd be glad to help in your home search. Contact me by phone, email or text.

Adam Pehrson
Sandia Peak Realty
Adam@SandiaPeakRealty.com
http://www.SandiaPeakRealty.com
505-401-0496
I agree with CJ. That being said, if you were to give me a chance, I can show you quality homes in just about any part of town. A lot will depend on your budget. My job is to help you weed out the bad and find a property that would work best for you.

Joel Sanchez
sanchezjoel13@gmail.com
505-514-8741

Quality of housing will vary throughout the city. Most important, which areas in Albuquerque are you most interested in?

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference: http://www.Syan.com
Dear Buyer,
Unfortunately you can find poor quality in all parts of town, and the opposite is just as true. The best way to avoid this is to have a thorough home inspection done and do your homework on the builder and the the builders reputation. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

CJ CIDDIO
505-280-5555