Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Todd Griffith, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I'm looking to buy a home, but not exactly sure where in the Atlanta metro area I want to settle. Is it possible to find a Buyer's Agent?

Asked by Todd Griffith, Atlanta, GA Mon May 14, 2012

Answers

19
Most everyone could help you relocate, Todd. Determining where you want to live will likely be decided by what your daily commute needs are going to be. Metro Atlanta is an local land line call about sixty miles wide and seventy miles long comprising many communities of all types and identities. Traffic during rush hour should definitely be considered. Please call, text or email if we might help further. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.georgiamls.com/agentsite/index.cfm?SiteID=HAMMONDJOHNM

http://www.chapmanhallprofessionals.com

http://www.SellsRealty.org
Web Reference: http://www.city-data.com/
Michael Hammond gets a thumbs up - good answer.

Is it possible to find a buyer's agent? Of course it's possible - there are 25,000 or so licensed real estate agents in metro Atlanta. Most of us are Realtors, which means that we subscribe to a national code of ethics, and that we are financially invested to be a part of our respective state and local boards of Realtors.

So, lets run the number at 20,000 Realtors - out of those, about 4000 of us will complete more than 4 transactions this year. The National Association of Realtors stated in their most recent report that the average Realtor only participates in 4 transactions per year - that's down from 6 a few years back.

Really.

The top 2000 are likely to be running their agency businesses like a business, and many of us offer buyer representation services.

If you email me, I'll send you my guidebook to buying in Georgia, along with some Georgia Association of Realtors pamphlets entitled "Protect yourslef when buying a home in Georgia" and "The ABCs of agency."

Just make an informed decision and interview for talent - depending on where you want to live, a local specialist with specific knowhow in the zip codes and neighborhoods that you want to live in will help to make your purchasing experience a winning experience.
Hello Todd--
When I was a little kid we would sit on the dock at my grandparents' lake house and toss little pieces of bread into the water. This was an endlessly entertaining pasttime... for every little bit of bread, thirty little fish would immediately appear--- and the fastest one would grab that piece of bread and hightail it out of there.

Is it possible to find a buyers' agent? Oh yes!

An query like yours is a really good peice of bread.
:)

All of the answers below have good points and excellent information for you. I just have one more bit of advice: Talk to at least 2 or 3 of the agents who have responded, then choose the one who seems to work with your personality. While you are searching for your home, you will spend many many hours with your agent. If the person you choose is someone you would enjoy, all the better for you! Might as well make it fun....

:)

Sherrie Crow
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
404-790-8184
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 15, 2012
Hi Mr. Griffith, just had a few other thoughts, what is your approximate timeline to buy?

When are you available to meet this week?

Thank You!

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton
Keller Williams
C/404 234 9418
beppyswalton@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2012
Hi Todd,

I see you have alot of attention from The Real Estate Agent side- Any indication where your financing will come from??

I'm a strong Lender in the Atlanta Georgia Area. Let me know if and how I can help...

David Karamitros
Residential Lending Sales Manager
Brand Mortgage Group
404-513-4110
dkaramitros@brandmortgage.com
Most likely the easiest thing you will do this year! LOL Interview at least 3 so you can get an idea of what to expect!
Hey Todd... OBVIOUSLY there are a LOT of Buyer Agents who would be delighted to help you. We would love to do so as well if you want to consider living in North Fulton or anywhere in Cobb or Cherokee counties which is where we have lived ourselves and our primary area of focus.

When you do what you love, as we do, people love what you do. And we do not require any retainer from buyer clients nor any commission paid to us by them.

You can go to http://www.FiveBestHomeDeals.info and give us your criteria or contact us at the phone or email below

Bob & Jan Watson
404-932-7305
WatsonTeam@Gmail.com
do your research. Trulia is a great place to look becaue you can see references and the interaction that the agent has in the community. Buyers agents are a dime a dozen, good buyers agents, not so much. find someone who is personable and genuinely cares about you and your situation and not lining their pockets with money. Sounds harsh, but it is true. The best agents are the ones you can see and have great referral bases. Just because an agent does a lot of business, does not make them a good agent. Just my two cents worth. :O)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
I am a Buyers Agent and would like to assist you...
Todd,

Sorry for any duplication in this answer, I have not read the previous answers and really can't blame you if you have not either and if you don't make it to my answer.

You are about to make a big decision that you should not rush in to. I've lived in many different countries and cities and here's my advice:

- get a short term rental, 6 months to 1 year... if you find that perfect place before the termination of the lease, most sellers will gladly buy-out your lease
- speak to a lender now... you should be able to test the waters with a mortgage lender without having your credit pulled so you have an understanding of what you can afford, this is an important and necessary step, don't waste your time looking for a house or condo that you can't afford
- decide what is important to you... the commute, the location, green space, the traffic, the parking, walkability to restaurants and entertainment, public transportation, safety
- while renting, DO NOT STAY AT HOME, use all of your spare time to get to know this city. Atlanta has so many different faces and neighborhoods. So, go shopping in one of Gwinnett county's malls, go eat in Douglasville's Cajun restaurant, go sit a while at Marietta square, spend a few hours in a Smyrna coffee shop, take in a show at The Fox and eat at Baronda, and spend an evening in Little Five Points.... get to know Atlanta and the various scenes
- once you've found that perfect place, don't just wait for closing. During the first couple of weeks, you'll probably have a period of time to get out of the deal for any reason... use that time to make sure you've made the right decision. Visit the neighborhood at morning, noon, night and on weekends. Drive the commute (morning and afternoon) and meet your potential neighbors
- use a realtor who has sold at least a home a month for the last few years... writing contracts and working deals helps hone talents

Atlanta is a great place to live... I've lived in Canada, Trinidad, Miami and Tennessee and Atlanta is where I have decided to hang my hat for more than 20 years.

So, now the obligatory sales pitch. If you want to work with someone who has lived in and around the city for 20+ years, is available to you 24/7 and will keep you motivated.... you can call, text or e-mail me
Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
tony@muffleyhomes.com
Muffley & Associates
Hi Todd, I would be happy to help you figure out where you would like to settle in the Atlanta area. I have lived in different parts of the Atlanta area for 28 years so I know it well. I am an Accredited Buyer's Representative and REALTOR®. I've completed specialized training delivering the best in buyer-representation services. I have an established rack record with proven experience in representing the concerns of home buyers. Please let me know how I may help you.

Best wishes,

Catherine Norton
Solid Source Realty, Inc.
404-580-3199
isoldahome@bellsouth.net
Todd,

Welcome to Atlanta. Your question has inspired some great answers. Having lived and worked in and around Metro Atlanta in several aspects of the real estate industry, I have a pretty good handle on where to find what you need. The most helpful thing you can do before choosing a buyer's agent is to start thinking about what is important to you. Living close to work to minimize your commute time is important, but schools, lifestyle,neighborhood, housing type, recreation, dining, and cultural attractions are a few things you should consider too. Before I moved here over 20 years ago, a friend from Peachtree City told me "Atlanta is what you want it to be". He could not have been more correct.

I can help you find your Atlanta.

Happy hunting!
Todd when hiring an agent ask the following questions to ensure that you hire a qualified agent:

How long have you been in residential real estate sales? Is it your full-time job? While experience is no guarantee of skill, real estate — like many other professions — is mostly learned on the job.

What designations do you hold? Designations such as GRI and CRS — which require that agents take additional, specialized real estate training — are held by only about one-quarter of real estate practitioners.

How many homes did you and your real estate brokerage sell last year? By asking this question, you’ll get a good idea of how much experience the practitioner has.

How many days did it take you to sell the average home? How did that compare to the overall market? The realtor you interview should have these facts on hand, and be able to present market statistics from the local MLS to provide a comparison.

How close to the initial asking prices of the homes you sold were the final sale prices? This is one indication of how skilled the realtor is at pricing homes and marketing to suitable buyers. Of course, other factors also may be at play, including an exceptionally hot or cool real estate market.

What types of specific marketing systems and approaches will you use to sell my home? You don’t want someone who’s going to put a For Sale sign in the yard and hope for the best. Look for someone who has aggressive and innovative approaches, and knows how to market your property competitively on the Internet. Buyers today want information fast, so it’s important that your realtor is responsive.

Will you represent me exclusively, or will you represent both the buyer and the seller in the transaction? While it’s usually legal to represent both parties in a transaction, it’s important to understand where the practitioner’s obligations lie. Your realtor should explain his or her agency relationship to you and describe the rights of each party.

Can you recommend service providers who can help me obtain a mortgage, make home repairs, and help with other things I need done? Because realtors are immersed in the industry, they’re wonderful resources as you seek lenders, home improvement companies, and other home service providers. Practitioners should generally recommend more than one provider and let you know if they have any special relationship with or receive compensation from any of the providers.

What type of support and supervision does your brokerage office provide to you? Having resources such as in-house support staff, access to a real estate attorney, and assistance with technology can help an agent sell your home.

What's your business philosophy? While there's no right answer to this question, the response will help you assess what’s important to the agent and determine how closely the agent’s goals and business emphasis mesh with your own.

How will you keep me informed about the progress of my transaction? How frequently? Again, this is not a question with a correct answer, but it reflects your desires. Do you want updates twice a week or do you not want to be bothered unless there’s a hot prospect? Do you prefer phone, e-mail, or a personal visit?

Could you please give me the names and phone numbers of your three most recent clients? Ask recent clients if they would work with this realtor again. Find out whether they were pleased with the communication style, follow-up, and work ethic of the real estate agent.

On a side note: Lee I am surprised to hear the number of transactions is only 4 per year for a "good" realtor. Are you sure that is not per month, instead of per year?
Finding a buyers agent is easy, find a really good one won't be quite as easy, you'll need to interview a few as there are consdierably more bad agents working than there are really good ones. This isn't specific to Atlanta, this is the case everywhere and always has been.

I've attached a link below to one of the most widley read blogs I've posted here on Trulia on how to find a great agent, check it out I think you'll find it helpful.

Good Luck and Happy House Hunting.
Todd,

We specialize in neighborhoods mostly inside the I285 perimeter. We'll meet with you to learn your needs and desires, then setup searches to provide candidate homes for your review. Once you drive some of these neighborhoods, we'll be able to narrow your geography, and we'll laser focus on a few areas to tour. A sample list of areas is shown below, to help you get acquainted with the area. I look forward to your call.

Rick

Adair Park
Adams Park
Alpharetta
Ansley Park
Atlanta
Avondale Estates
Benteen
Berkeley Park
Boulevard Heights
Brookhaven
Buckhead
Buckhead
Candler-McAfee
Candler Park
Capitol View
Capitol View Manor
Cascade Heights
Castleberry Hill
Chamblee
Chosewood
Cobb
College Park
Decatur
DeKalb
Downtown
Doraville
Druid Hills
Dunwoody
East Atlanta
East Lake
East Point
Fairlie Poplar
Fulton
Georgia Tech
Grant Park
Hapeville
Home Park
Howell Station
Inman Park
Kirkwood
Lake Claire
Lenox Park
Martin Luther King
Mechanicsville
Oakhurst
Oakland City
Old 4th Ward
Old Fourth Ward
Ormewood Park
Peoplestown
Pittsburgh
Poncey Highland
Pine Valley
Reynoldstown
Roswell
Sandy Springs
Summerhill
Sweet Auburn
Sylvan Hills
Venetian Hills
Vine City
Vinings
Virginia Highland
West End
West Side
Whittier Mill
Woodland Hills
Hello Todd

My name is Latisha Thompson I work for PalmerHouse Property Realty company, which have office all over the Metro Atlanta Area, Iam a buyers agent, I have experience in the Metro Atlanta Area, Depends on what your buying power is, it determine where you live, you know living in the city is more expensive then living outside the Metro Atlanta Areas. please give me a call if you need assist 404-914-6977.

Make sure you get qualify with loan officer, so you know who much house you can buy.
Todd,
My name is Erica Gal and I am with Toco Hill Realty. We are a boutique real estate agency that specializes in the metro Atlanta area. I would love the opportunity to help you!
My cell phone is: 404-520-9296, email: egal@tocohillrealty.com. Please contact me at your convenience.
Hi Todd,

I am a Buyer's Agent and would be honored to help you in your search for a new home. With just a few questions, we can get you headed in the right direction in your home search. I am familiar with many different parts of the Atlanta Metro area and work with Buyer's all over. I work with a team of 80+ agents and will network with those agents to find out the answers to any questions that you may have. Please contact me at the email or phone number below, if you are interested in working together.

Best Wishes,

Michele Goddard
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
micheleatkw@gmail.com
678-521-3803
Hi Mr. Griffith, thank you for your inquiry. I would be pleased to assist you, please email and/or call the contact info below. I work w/a lot of homebuyers thruout the metro Atlanta area.

I look forward to your reply and to helping you!

Again, Thank You.

Sincerely

Elizabeth 'Beppy' Walton
Keller Williams
C/404 234 9418
beppyswalton@gmail.com