Janice Chiang, Both Buyer and Seller in East Flushing, Queens,...

I'm looking to buy a 1 family but why is ranch and cape style more expansive than colonial?

Asked by Janice Chiang, East Flushing, Queens, NY Sat Mar 6, 2010

Answers

5
The structural changes as far as the layout from a ranch to a cape are a little more EXPENSIVE.
Ranches have a larger footprint for the basement and this costs more to build. For the same square footage it is cheaper to have two stories than a ranch.
Agree, the dimensions of the lot will also weigh heavily into an equation to expand. But generally, ranch homes are simple layouts that can be taken up to expand. Capes suggest the addition of dormers. Colonials have their second floor in place, perhaps this is why your agent is suggesting that the smaller alternatives have greater possibilities for expansion. But if you are factoring the ability to expand into any decision, make sure you undertand the limitations/possibilites. Talk to the town's building department before you buy.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Find success at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
It's not necessarily the style that makes a home more expensive--many factors come into play--location, property size, condition of the house-- repairs, extensive or cosmetic, does it have a grarage, etc. When looking to buy, you need to be aware of recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, after reviewing the data a determination can be made as far as a to a fair offer. Your agent can best help you. If you need assistance feel free to contact me.

Anna
Hi Janice:
I just checked the MLS. Your profile says E. Flushing. If you are looking in Flushing, there are currently 266 residential listings in Flushing with prices ranging from $389,000 all the way up to $1,880,000! Capes range from $525,000 to $735,000 (8 listings); Colonials range from $424,000 to $1,700,000 (over 130 listings); and ranches range from $529,000 to $819,000 (8 listings - with some mischaracterized). The prices seem to range all over the place. Much will depend on the size, condition and location of the individual property. If you're not currently working with a realtor, please feel free to contact me if I can be of service to you. Good luck in your search!

Ralph Windschuh
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Associate Broker
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com