Home Buying in Crown Heights>Question Details

Lisamarie409, Home Buyer in

I'm looking to buy a FHA approved condo in BK. I am a first time homebuyer and am looking for recommendations for a mortgage broker.

Asked by Lisamarie409, Tue Jan 24, 2012

Answers

8
Trevor Curran’s answer
Dear Lisamarie,

In the event you are still shopping around for mortgage professionals, here is some advice on how you can make the best selection.

The SAFE Act of 2008 or Secure and Fair Enforcement put in place new regulations for the Licensing or Registration of mortgage professionals. A National Mortgage Licensing System was created to provide a clearinghouse for Mortgage Loan Originators and guidelines for their Licensing or Registration.

1. ALL Loan Officers working for Mortgage Bankers and mortgage brokers must be Licensed under the SAFE Act of 2008. The National Mortgage Licensing System oversees our licensing and education. Our licenses can be found for verification at http://www.nmlsconsumeraccess.com You can verify if a Loan Officer is Licensed AND Authorized to do business in your State. Just because a Loan Officer is Licensed does not mean she can do business in your State. Look at the bottom of the NMLS profile page and you will see the individual State authorizations for that Loan Officer. You can also click on "Employment History" to get a sense of the experience level of the L.O. You definitely want to do this (see #4 below)

2. L.O.'s who work for regular, depository, banks are not Licensed; they are Registered. You can verify the same information on the same website: Authorized in your State and Employment history. The registration process is carried out by the bank that employs the Loan Officer.

3. ALL OF US Mortgage Professionals, whether Licensed or Registered are required to include our NMLS License number in (and I quote) "ALL communications except internal company communications." Therefore, beware of Loan Officers who betray their disrespect for this important regulation by failing to include their NMLS number when they respond to you.

4. Experience will work best for you, so you definitely want to check the employment history on the NMLS website to see your Loan Officer has 10-15 years minimum experience in the mortgage business.

5. Local Mortgage Bankers, or Direct Lenders, are the place where you'll find the highest quality of service and accuracy for your mortgage needs. Mortgage Bankers are also Licensed with New York State Dept. of Financial Services and with NMLS

Definitions:
A Mortgage Banker is a Direct Lender and is typically a Non-Depository Institution (no deposits, no CD's, no credit cards or auto loans: just Mortgages Done well!).

A Mortgage Broker works on behalf of the client to locate a Lender (whether that's a Mortgage Banker or regular bank) who will approve the client's loan appllication at good terms.

A regular bank is a Depository Institution offering a wide array of banking services including, but not limited to mortgage loans.

Trevor Curran
Hello Lisa Marie,

I suggest to look into smaller credit unions, small local banks, mortgage companies and large banks - their competitiveness changes from day to day. Don't let them run your credit, though.
Have it run once, find out your 3 scores - and let the prospective lenders know what it is when getting a quote. When it comes to closing costs - request GFEs from the lenders, and compare APR of each program (if note rate is the same, the lower APR means less expensive costs).

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Expert
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@google.com
Hi Lisa,

You are doing the right thing by shopping around for the best rates. You can call my contact, Rob Flowers at:

Continental Home Loans

Cell: 917.584.9292

Email: rflower@ccmtg.com

Tell him Judith referred you from Fillmore Fort Greene. I can also assist you with some great condos in the area.
Larry Aboudi (917) 696-2360
Alex Narod Cross River 201 808 7147
Mike Franco HSBC 9176044320

Jack Menashe
917.797.0215
http://www.SHERestates.com
Hi Lisamarie,

I am licensed NY Loan Officer and I would be glad to assist you with your FHA mortgage. Please feel free to contact me directly at 347-462-4210 or via email at rguercio@equityloans.com .

Best of Luck!

Rocco Guercio
Sr. Mortgage Specialist
Equity Loans, LLC
Direct: 347-462-4210
Dear Lisamarie409:

You need to have your mortgage banker check and make sure that which ever condo you are buying is on the FHA approved list. If it is not on the FHA approved list it will be harder or impossible for the bank to give a mortgage on that particular condo.

I have several mortgage bankers I work with in Brooklyn who can help you. If you like, contact me and I can give you their contact information. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
Id be more than happy to assist you! My name is Ed Groussman with Home Savings of America. I can be reached at 347-903-5626 or egroussman@myhsoa.com

Ed
Here is a very knowledgeable guy. Best of luck on your purchase!
Lawrence Weinstein
Private Mortgage Banker
NMLSR ID 21242
DE Capital Mortgage, LLC | 205 E 42nd St, FL 6 | New York, NY 10017
MAC M6651-061
Phone (212) 692-8361| Cell (516)236-7486| Fax (866) 972-2675
An Affiliate Of Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
lawrence.weinstein@decapitalmortgage.com

Warmest regards,

Zita Alvarez Lo
Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker
Bus 212-350-2825
Cell 917-656-8112
Fax 646-497-3968
zlo@elliman.com

PRUDENTIAL DOUGLAS ELLIMAN
205 East 42nd Street, 6th floor
New York, NY 10017