Home Buying in Bucktown>Question Details

David Beaver, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I'm looking to build a SF home in Bucktown, who should I go to for plans? Also, how would recommend finding a

Asked by David Beaver, Chicago, IL Sat Feb 9, 2008

competent builder?

Answers

11
Have you seen any new homes in the neighborhood that you like? Drop the owner a note or ask the agent who built it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2008
two words for you- Angie's List. I am buyer agent that uses contractors from the List for my own properties and so do my clients. Even if you get a name elsewhwere, chances are they have been reviewed here. I think its $20 or something to join but you get independant reviews of all types of help. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2008
ask for referrals from people you know Interview at least 4, call all their references,check the BBB for any compalints and you might also check the Building Dept to see if there are anycomplaints
Oh! I wouldn't want to overlook the Mangan Brothers. They have truly done some of the finest work in the city. They go above and beyond in attention to detail. I was very impressed with their work in Roscoe Village. Can't say enough about them. Really top notch.
I have inspected thousands of homes in Chicago over the last dozen years. I have seen the best and, more commonly, the worst. There are some who have a big presence and good reputation that are really over-priced. One of them has the same name as a famous American inventor. There are only a very small handful of builders that I would recommend to family or friends. One of the best I've seen is Paul Peterson. His website is http://www.paulpetersoninc.com

John Krenger has built some cutting edge green homes in Bucktown. His site is http://www.krenger.com

If I think of any others I'll re-post. Best of luck!
Hi David,
Dream Town Builders takes care of both plans and construction for you. Since we work in the city so much, we have a number of single family home designs specifically tailored to fit Chicago city lots and maximize the space available (this includes great walk-out basements that add lots of natural light to the lower level). We can always alter the plans to fit your needs, or start from scratch if you’d prefer something totally custom. We’ll secure permits, check zoning, provide all labor, and even introduce ourselves to your neighbors so they feel comfortable with our presence while construction is going on.

Check out the link below to see more about the company and how we can help you.
Hi David. My name is Michael Berke and I have been a home builder for 20 years. My company, Berke Homes, has been building and developing premier properties and homes since 1957. Please go to our website at http://www.berkehomes.net. There is a section on custom homes that will interest you. Also feel free to give me a call for more details on the custom home building process. I have lived in Bucktown for the last 11 years and know the market very well.
Web Reference: http://www.berkehomes.net
I live and work in Bucktown and there are several choices depending upon your budget, design requirements and if there are other factors such as environmental design options (green), interior finishes, contemporarty/traditional etc etc

I know several of the top builders in the area and could recommend both the GC and an architect depending as I said on your requirements and budget. Specialty professionals who match most closely with these two factors are your best bet in getting a successful development/home to completion (oh and it helps to tell the alderman what you;'re up to too-grease the wheel so to speak).
David,

A number of reputable Chicago Real Estate Brokerages market new construction in the area you're considering in addition to surrounding neighborhoods. Within such Brokerages are Realtors that are experienced with identifying land opportunities and evaluating suitable projects for developers that are marketable and profitable. Through such Realtors you should be able to get recommendations for competent Architects and Developers who are experienced at undertaking the construction of a home on your behalf from drawing up plans, submitting for permits to construction of your home.

Many custom home builders would be happy to G.C a project for you as they make some money without assuming any risk. In return, you get the home you want. A win-win scenario if you have the land and budget to see it through.

Good luck, Ken.
Web Reference: http://www.KDRchicago.com
David, do you have a budget in mind, do you have the land/lot? do you have financing in place? what is motivating you to build new? what is you favorite type/style of home? Stacey makes a great suggestion, also go window shopping at new construction homes already built and ask who the designer was - less expensive to use or modify existing plans then start from new.
Finding a compent builder can be a real challenge! I would recommend NOT just picking a name out of the phone book! Ask around, a builder with a good reputation will be well known by the public. Make sure that you get at least three bids ( the cheepest is not always the best). Do your homework and check that there contractor license is active and clean, make sure that there bond is in place, and that they have workmans comp. for there employees, and carry general liability insurance. For plans I would use a local architect. They know the local codes and requirements, and most have engeneers that they can recommend. A little reasearch goes a long way!