Home Buying in Fargo>Question Details

Navin, Home Buyer in Fargo, ND

I'm looking into buying a home in the recent future in North Dakota. What are the home qualities I should check out before buying?

Asked by Navin, Fargo, ND Mon Apr 29, 2013

Answers

5
First look at the area just like any town you might move into. Also even if you don't have kids look at the schools. I don't but I still bought a place a half block from a school. I always think resale!! look at area, where I live in Fargo we have full grown trees and a can walk to the store. I don't have tons of traffic and my streets are quite. I also live outside flood zone. Yes if I lived in the flood zone I could get a good deal but I don't have the time to deal with sump pumps. I also have lived through enough of them to know I don't want to do it ever again. In Fargo if you have 3 bedrooms houses are flying off the market. You MUST have off street parking (no matter what part of town you live) and since this is North Dakota a garage is great but you can live without if you have an engin block heater and can plug in your car or truck. Houses on the more heavly traveled streets like 10th st and University don't move as fast so you could get a great deal but resale could be a little harder. In Fargo it's all about if you want to be in the North with it's older homes and tree lined streets or the South with it's Newer homes and well little trees and faster pace life style. I live in the north I'm not far from Downtown and the University so I get both layed back life style of the tree lined streets but the night life of the downtown buy just going about a mile.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Check out the flood zone areas. You will pay extra for flood insurance.
Hi Navin,

An important thing to watch out for in our particular area would be the basement of a house. Our soil type, combined with the moisture we get and our freeze cycle in the winter, can be very damaging to foundations. Keep an eye out for moisture, as that can be a signal for problems, and bowed or cracked foundation walls. It's also very common to brace older basements with steel I-beams to block further movement of foundation walls.

I hope that's helpful!

Good luck with your home search!
Hi Navin,

I always check to see who built the home, what it sold for originally, evaluate the selling prices of similar homes, and be certain it is the best home available for the money. I am an Exclusive Buyers Broker. That means I only work with home BUYERS so I have no conflicts of interest - no sellers that I have an allegiance to. We make sure our clients learn all they need to know about the area and the home buying process.
Where in ND are you planning to move to?

Dan Deutsch, EBA
Fargo Homes Buyer Agency
701-306-6632
Navin,

I would speak with a few local real estate experts. Some generic qualities include (potential future value, schools, amenities, etc.)
I would go ahead and get preapproved with a mortgage banker. I am available nights/weekends, and lend in all 50 states if you would like to give me a call or email.

Warm Regards,

Josh Marks
773.303.0033
Jmarks@wintrustmortgage.com
JoshMarksMortgage.com