Beaver1582, Renter in Summit, NJ

I'm looking for suggestions on where to move in NY or NJ that is 1 hour or less by train to NYC. I need a place with good schools &

Asked by Beaver1582, Summit, NJ Thu Mar 28, 2013

walkability. I'm looking for a town that has strong schools, walkability, restaurants, some shopping, looking for buying a home that will have property taxes under $9,000. Moving from a city in NC that is family friendly, walkable, lots of restaurants and shopping all with much lower property taxes. In order to move up and be by family need to find someplace that can have this to please the financial minded hubby.

Answers

13
Have you moved to New Jersey yet or are you still in North Carolina? If you're still looking, consider Little Silver in Monmouth County. The median home price is a little under $570,000 and the schools are excellent. What grades are your children in? The NJ Department of Education has an excellent web site called the "New Jersey School Performance Report": http://education.state.nj.us/pr/nav.php?c=25. If you have high-school age children, you also should be familiar with New Jersey's DFG (District Factor Group) classification system.

Immediately next door from Little Silver is Red Bank and Shrewsbury. Red Bank has a great downtown with lots of excellent restaurants and shopping, and Shrewsbury has a great little shopping mall called "The Grove".

You can take the train (NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line) into NYC from either Little Silver or Red Bank.

Hope this helps!

Leonard “Len” Dunikoski, GRI
REALTOR® Associate
Diane Turton Realtors – Rumson Office
8 West River Road
Rumson, NJ 07760

(732) 239-0739 (cell) (732) 530-6686 (office)

ldunikoski@dianeturton.com
Well Maplewood and South Orange will have all that except the taxes
The other towns that would meet with these requirements are Montclair,Summit, Madison, Morristown and Chatham.
While the taxes are a bitter pill to bear, you are paying for proximity for the city (28 minutes for Maplewood)
There are more restaurants in Summit, Montclair and Morristown that the other towns and the home prices are higher

What price point are you looking at?
South Orange would meet the criteria except for perhaps the $9000 tax limit. Could be close if you purchase a condo. It's a very walkable town with many restaurants.
You might want to rent a home for a yr. Many around the areas mentioned -- South Orange, Summit, Montclair, Glen Ridge.
Bloomfield, NJ Brookedale area (close to a wonderful park) shares borders with Upper Montclair (great restaurants and stores. Family friendly, walkablility to major grocery -- the most family friendly neighborhood -- hard to find 4 bedroom the homes are at most 2,000 square feet and lots about 0.25 acres. The most fun. Schools, public elementary (Oakview or Brookedale only) close to great pre-k's thru K and many affordable private schools for pre-k - 12th. Very close to train into NYC and two different Bus Co. stops are within walking (1 -2 blocks) or drive and drop off for NJTransit. again Brookedale section. Taxes are going to be around 10k to 14K. Little Falls and Ceder Grove areas are nice but a bit of a commute.
If real estate taxes under 9k is a big factor than Madison and Florham Park would be two great towns to start your search. Madison has a great downtown with a direct train to the city and very highly rated schools.
You might want to consider towns in Central Jersey, at the beach:
Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Manasquan. Prices will range from $500K to $11MM.
The schools are small and excellent, taxes are low and the train ride is just about an hour, maybe a bit longer depending on the time of year.
Towns are family friendly and very safe, too. Most are one square mile and everyone pretty much knows everyone else! Plus, you can walk or ride your bike to the beach! Life is good!
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
Sounds too far...living at the beach didn't sound like a priority. A little self-serving?
Flag Mon Apr 29, 2013
Hi Beaver,
With the combo requirement (9K tax, good schools, 1 hour to NYC) in mind, I would recommend the following towns: Summit, Chatham, New Providence, Livingston.
....but than again, it will depend on your price range as well.

Best of luck,
Armin Lusinyants
(917) 626-9420
A lot certainly depends on your price range and number of bedrooms, baths, how updated the home is, etc. Glen Ridge and Verona in Essex county have great schools and some homes are close to the shopping area with walkability. Lowest taxes would be smaller homes needing renovation.

In Bergen county, you may want to check out Fairlawn, Teaneck, Paramus, Waldwick, and Wyckoff. Again older homes that may need some modernization, will be the ones with lower taxes. There are 2 train lines into NYC, bus lines and an easy drive.

Mercure Volt
Elite Realtors of NJ
973-818-8506

http://www.yourHometownSearch.com
North Jersey has 4 train lines that lead into New York City, follow the routes and you probably will have a very difficult time hitting $9000 a year taxes because this is Northern New Jersey. I would recommend morris county and maybe Passaic. More details are needed of course, visit my website and look at the New Jersey Transit lines, I'd be happy to set up a consultation.
Web Reference: http://FindNJHouse.com
Hi Beaver - and welcome to NJ (almost!)

Well, to start with - knowing your price range would be helpful - number of bedrooms/baths, etc.

The taxes "under $9000" may or may not work, depending on the town, but without knowing your price range, I really can't say.

Lots of towns to choose from such as:
Millburn/Short Hills (but need at least $650,000++ as an entry price range), Maplewood, S. Orange, W Orange, Chatham, Madison, Summit............all offer the Midtown Direct train to Manhattan (no changing trains in Newark).

Livingston offers a direct bus into the city, or a local jitney service to the direct train, and would have more variety in price ranges....and possibly slightly lower taxes as compared to, say W. Orange or Maplewood.

Please feel free to reach out to me as I would be happy to help guide you and offer some suggestions. I have lived and worked in this area my entire life, so I can really help you pinpoint your options.

My website has a number of links with town information you might find useful!

Debbie Rose
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com

www. DebbieRoseSells.com
So. Orange & Maplewood are both an easy 30-min. commute to NYC via the mid-town direct train. Parts of West Orange are also serviced by a jitney to the So. Orange train. All 3 towns easily meet your criteria. I'll be happy to assist with your home search!
there are several towns along the midtown direct train line that offer good schools, walkability, family friendly and with good restaurants. Maplewood, Millburn, Summit and Chatham come to mind immediately. happy to answer any questions you may have. George Walsh, Keller Williams Realty, 201 953 4134 (cell)
Web Reference: http://www.gwalsh.com