Home Buying in Johnstown>Question Details

Mav, Other/Just Looking in 15902

I'm looking for a property in Johnstown PA and I need some advice from a local!!

Asked by Mav, 15902 Tue Aug 23, 2011

What areas are nice to live in and what areas should I avoid? I know Westmont and Richland are very nice but they're also a little out of my price range. Also what is the difference in the 'wards?' 7th ward, 8th ward, etc. Thanks!

Answers

4
Jim Socks’ answer
If you are locating to Johnstown than hopefully you are retired, since you won't find any job locally that will allow you to live a decent life. You will find yourself having to commute to DC/VA or Pittsburgh in order to find any employment that pays over $40K.
Currently NDIC is shut down and with other companies like CTC reducing their labor force weekly, the abundance of homes on the market will continue to increase. We have had a home for sale there for over 2 years and keep dropping the price. The homes in the area were overpriced by the realtors 10 years ago and people moving there for jobs foolishly paid the overpriced amounts. Fortunately the taxes have been low there so keeping the house there while enjoying our new life in North Carolina (better weather, LOTS More jobs, better homes for the $$, and low taxes). However as another poster suggested, the county and city are desperately trying to find ways to keep the corrupt politicians employed, thus raising property and school taxes is their justification.
The town will soon be a nice ghost town or retirement community, so just be patient and you can pick up Westmot and Richland priced homes for that of Moxham or Westend pricing. Likewise if you are looking for area to live in the current mid-range, def consider Southmont, Westmont, Richland, Giestown, Lorain, Oakland, and parts of Ferndale. Avoid Moxham, Westend, and any part of the city itself as there is very high crime rate, low-income housing (where most of the drugs and prostitution happen). Though it appears part of Richland might also become infested with low-income housing as friends still living there inform me that a company is trying to put in more "projects" now in Richland area.
Good luck, but as I stated you would better consider other areas of the country that are now in such a rapid downward spiral.

You can give me a call at 814-244-4281. And I can try & help you out. But we cannot steer buyers to one neighborhood or another.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Shannan Yarnick-Louder
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 23, 2011
I have a house for sale in Johnstown. It is in a very nice section of the West End. The taxes aren't bad at all but it is in Johnstown School District. The only reason I am selling is because we have outgrown the home. Southmont is a nice area as well as Upper Yoder.
The neighboorhood are nice but the economy is going downhill. The property taxes are being raised, the school district is Ok. The average taxes for Westmont and Richland are 5000 a year.