Home Buying in Georgetown>Question Details

Megan, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

I'm looking for a loft in the sodo Georgetown area. Would like a real loft not a?

Asked by Megan, Seattle, WA Thu Apr 3, 2008

Answers

7
I went to the broker's open that I mentioned in my answer below. They weren't really lofts, but zero lot line town homes. Very cool and ultra-modern, but not a true loft. I'm waiting for a forward thinking developer to buy up some of the cool old buildings in Georgetown and renovate them into true lofts, but so far there isn't really anything.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 2, 2008
I just got an invitation to a broker's open event for new lofts in Georgetown. I didn't see a web site on the email, but it will be next Thursday. If you can wait next week, I can let you know what I find out. Looks like the prices start in the $300s.

There were some cool lofts built with zero lot lines, but they are all sold. Definitely Georgetown will be the next "IT" place. It's Belltown 10 years ago.
What's your price range? How much space do you need?
I too, am a fan of the loft lifestyle- my husband and I live in a loft in Belltown and have a loft in the Pearl District in Portland as well.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any lofts come up in the Georgetown area, and just a handful over the years in the Sodo area... If your heart is not set on those two neighborhoods, you can find several unique loft properties in Pioneer Square, near the Pike Place Market, and in Belltown.
Best of luck to you in your search!
I have worked in Georgetown forever as I used to sell marble and granite. Most of the old warehouses are being converted to office space as commercial real estate can garner more money than can residential real estate. However, there are still quite a few homes that have not been converted to commercial still available in Georgetown.

There is new construction that can be converted to look old, but I suspect that that is not what you are looking for. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Most of the classic lofts you will find will be in SODO and also Pioneer Square. I love lofts with their exposed ceiling beams and tall walls. Loft living is a unique lifestyle and one I have often envied. A lot of the lofts that went in throughout SODO were done for a large part of the art community and the layouts can be quite creative. There are some newer construction loft like places a little further North here and there, but it is difficult to find features like exposed 100 yr old bricks, etc.

Georgetown, on the other hand, is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Seattle - I love all of the house there and all the different local hangouts -

Megan,

Sorry to tell you, a quick sweep of the MLS doesn't show any lofts or even 1 bedrooms in the Georgetown Sodo area. Are there any other neighborhoods that might work for you?