Home Buying in Nonamtum>Question Details

Sum, Home Buyer in Nonamtum, Newton, MA

I'm looking for a duplex so I can live in half and rent out the other half. How is this classified in searches?

Asked by Sum, Nonamtum, Newton, MA Sat Apr 7, 2012

Answers

8
Thank you everyone for your answers. We've just begun looking. This is very helpful.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 10, 2012
I would agree that Multi-Family will narrow down your search on Trulia and in MLS. Two-family would be the classification or duplex and sometimes an agent will advertise it in other ways if they feel it can be a condo conversion. I work for Hammond Residential in the MetroWest area and would be glad to help you with your search if you may be looking outside of the Newton market. It would be helpful for you to talk with a mortgage professional to understand the qualifications of a multi-family loan and obtain a pre-approval letter. I would be glad to recommend some if you aren't working with someone already.

Let me know if I can be of help,

Lynne Hagopian
LHagopian@hammondre.com
508 648-0393
I think you are looking for multi family properties and there are quite a few on the market in Newton. Here is a link to them all:
http://goo.gl/JEZDt

Hope that helps!
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
Best of luck with your search. It is listed in MLS as a 2-family or duplex or mult-family. Some agents may list it as a single family as well if they think it could easily converted to a single family. Make sure to contact a Mortgage person so you understand what the banks require for financing a owner occupied 2-family. The mortgage limit amounts are higher which is good.

We have a great mortgage person that handles mulit families if you need any help. I personally own 2 myself and am happy to answer any other questions you may have.
"Multi Family" on MLS, Trulia and Zillow. Let me know if you need any help in your search!
What the others said ... and Some times called a "Multi-family".
That would be classified as a two-family for searches.
This is typically classified as a 2 family or duplex in the MLS.