Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Ctr, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

I'm looking at a condo that was a condo conversion and there is a uneven part in the living room floor. It's kind of like a little hump.

Asked by Ctr, San Diego, CA Sun May 6, 2012

It's not the foundation because this unit is above the parking garage. I think it is a plumbing piping probably causing this. Is this something to worry about? We asked the listing agent and she asked the seller and he said it could be a pipe but he doesn't know. Just wondering if this is something I should worry about. There is carpet flooring in there now. But I want to put down laminate and I'm thinking it might look strange because of this little uneven section.

Answers

9
I did a home inspection here in San Diego with exactly the same issue. Is your home in University Heights by chance? Maybe it's the same development. In my case, the home was on the ground floor with the parking garage directly below. Half of the living room was over the parking garage, and the other half was on a concrete slab. Where the two sections met, in the middle of the floor there was unevenness. It was determined during my inspection that this was most likely due to settling at the ledger where the floor joists over the parking garage below indexed into the edge of the concrete wall. Perhaps you have the same configuration.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 6, 2012
I'd be grabbing Darin. He's certainly in the loop. If you wish to explore any other properties please feel free to contact us. We're a one stop, turnkey family owned and operated real estate brokerage, general contractor rehab, remodel, rebuild or new build contractor, architectural, engineering, landscape and interior design company with over 100 years of combined real estate and development experience in San Diego.

onthelevel@cox.net 760 815-6977

http://www.sandiegorealestatetoday.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
Cory, it's a large section, it's kind of like a "speed bump", maybe 3 feet long and 1 foot wide in the right corner of the living room (it's not in the middle so that is good). There is also a closet in that corner with closet doors, and you can see how the sliding tracks on the closet doors go up and then down over this speed bump.

I think I can live with it visually as I really like the unit. But I have to be able to explain it to whomever I sell to down the road and I want to make sure I'm clear on what it is.
Hi Darin, that sounds very much like it. This is a condo in the Normal Heights 92116 area of San Diego. The condo has gated parking underneath the units, so the cieling of the underground parking is the floor of my unit. I think 100% of my unit floor is above the parking area (I don't think any of it is on the slab but not 100% sure). When I went down in the underground parking area and looked up about where the floor of my unit would be, I saw uneven undulation in the ceiling possible where pipes were? I'm wondeing if all the ground floor units in this condo complex have this little "speed bump" in their floors?

Thanks all for your answers. I just want to make sure this isn't a structural defect and is just part of the building. What I'm surprised about is why the seller (who bought this directly from the condo converter), does not know more about what this defect is. The seller must have noticed it when he bought it and asked the condo converted about it? There's no way you can miss it. This is a short sale so the seller has moved out and wiped his hands of the property.
It sounds like you have 2 questions. 1) Should you worry about it? and 2) Will it look strange if I put Laminate flooring?

1) You are already concerned. So discuss the options with your Realtor, The owner may allow the carpet to be moved for an inspection so long as it is pulled back. If there is access in the garage area there might be some indication, Ask for building plans? These are just some examples. You should feel good about the home so don't be shy about it.

2) More than likely if you can feel the bump or see it with carpet then you will see it more with laminate. There are ways to float ( level ) the floor but that can be tricky depending on the hieght and location. You can always take pictures and go to a flooring store and ask in advance.

Best of Luck
Mike Frankfather
Prudentil California Realty
This is something you'd have to have a professional look at, and your inspector will just tell you to have it looked into further. Because it's under the carpet and not accessible, the inspector will probably not be able to give you any definitive information on it. The bump could be from several things as stated below, including a bad flooring install from a previous homeowner. The worst case scenario is it's structurally related, but it's hard to tell without looking directly at the section. Is it a large section or just one small noticeable bump?
I would have some concerns and have the home inspector address that issue. What does your agent recommend?
Condo conversions were not built to the same standards as regular condos. That does not mean that they are bad or structurally unsound just different standards.
Without seeing it in person it's hard to say, but older buildings often have things like this due to settling. The listing agent's GUESS sounds like an odd reason to me - get a good home inspection to figure it out.

Also, spend the extra money and get real wood floors. They are SO much nicer and if you shop around you can probably get a good floor person to install for around $9 or $10 per square foot.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
A home inspection would certainly find the answer to your question. If you notic eit, any potential buyer you go to sell to will notice it. You need to address what is caused it , if it poses any problems structerly and can it be fixed.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com