Home Buying in Chinatown>Question Details

Law, Home Buyer in Chinatown, Los Angeles...

I'm living in Hong Kong. I'd like to buy a 3 bed rooms apartment in L.A. close to Universities as investment. What are the range of price?

Asked by Law, Chinatown, Los Angeles, CA Sat Sep 12, 2009

Grant Linscott’s answer
Hi Law,

It depends what universities you are looking to buy next to. I would recommend around UCLA or on the Westside of Los Angeles and you will be in the $550K range for a 3 bedroom. As you head further east you can find condos in good areas for around $400k or less that may work as well.

I agree with Andrew that having a house may be a good investment for you as well and there are several more affordable options and typically houses appreciate more than condos.

I'm happy to help in your search. I have sold condos and homes all across Los Angeles.

Grant Linscott
323.333.6222 cell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2009
Hi Law,

If you're interested in a condominium strictly as an investment, you may consider single family homes as well. From the Downtown to the beach, the Los Angeles basin proper is some of the most valuable real estate on the west coast. Meanwhile, the only way for the area to grow is to increase density. Single family homes won't be developed here on a mass basis ever again and should be a particularly sought after commodity in the years to come.

Here's a link to a blog that I recently wrote about where to find some of the most affordable homes in the L.A. basin for under $500k.

Here's another link to a good free tool called Market Snapshot that may be useful to you. It will give you this week's housing pricing and conditions including community reports for any neighborhood from L.A. & Orange County to San Bernardino.

Please feel free to contact me through my Trulia Profile or my website posted below if you have more questions. Best of luck.
There are several universities in Los Angeles, and each neighborhood will have its own price range. Most notably, UCLA, in the Westwood area, has condominium style apartments for as little as $500,000 for 3 bedrooms and two baths within 2 miles of the campus. USC has many different types of surrounding neighborhoods, with 3 bedroom condominiums starting around $300,000. There are certainly condominiums for sale in all price ranges. No matter what your range, you can be accommodated. If you would like to schedule a meeting, please contact me directly. If you would like to search the Multiple Listing Service on your own, just send me your email address, and I will arrange it for you via ListingBook. (This is a completely free service that I provide as a service to my clients. This will give you access to the same database that we use in the real estate business and you can access it 24/7 from any computer. It will provide you with up-to-the-minute data on all the properties that are on the market that matter to you.) I am happy to help you in any way that you prefer.
Best of luck,
Debbie Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
Licensed Realtor for 33 years