Home Buying in New York>Question Details

heyitsnay, Home Seller in New York, NY

I'm listing my home in 6 months and I want to bring in a home staging co. My agent says it’s not needed and they can handle. Can they really?

Asked by heyitsnay, New York, NY Tue Jan 22, 2013

Response from real estate agents/ brokers perferred.

Answers

15
Hello. It is truly up to you. However, your Agent probably gave you the answer that was for your best interest. If your home truly does not need to be staged, do not spend unnecessary money to stage it. However, if there are a few improvements and rooms that staging would help your home show its best, I do not see any harm in doing so.

Again, remember that staging your home is great, but not always necessary. If you have the financial resources to do so, and it makes "business sense"--meaning you will get a return on the investment, of having your home staged--then go for it!

The more appealing your home when on the market, the better! Just remember to look at staging your home as an investment.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
(631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/ISellNY
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 24, 2013
Heyitsnay,
It is hard to answer this question without actually seeing your home. Usually it's the other way around, i.e. the agent wants to stage the property and the seller doesn't. Staging can be anything from decluttering to storing much of your possessions and bringing in rented modern furniture. Sometimes a few simple shifts of existing things, and a little removal of a few things is fine. Sometimes even just some fresh neutral paint is all you need. It really depends on what you have there now. The look to go for is streamlined and sleek, clean surfaces, avoid chunkly large pieces of furniture.

Good luck on your sale.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
Depending on the condition of the unit, the agent may be correct. Oftentimes simple cosmetics such as fresh paint, removing/replacing any old carpeting, polishing wood floors, removing/rearranging bulky furniture, depersonalizing, etc.; may do the trick; also make sure that the property is always sparkling clean, neat, clean, clutter free, easily accessible for all showings, is priced on target, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
I have an agent who is superior at staging and together we handle for our clients. It is possible that your agent has those same skills.

Why not ask your agent to produce photos of other homes your agent has staged and you be the judge.

Staging works.

gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
718-928-9580
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 22, 2013
What i think your agent means is that the staging is important but they have the ability to do it and you do not need to pay a staging company.
Probably what you should do is look at your agents previous staging and decide if it satisfies you.

One of the hardest types of properties to sell is vacant homes. It doesn't matter how well the walls are painted or how clean the kitchen is, these properties just have an inherent “coldness” to them. The key to staging a home is to make it look lived in and give the buyer a vision of what living in that home will be like to them
I would stage if I were you this way your home will stand out more and will receive more offers therefore could turn into a bidding war. Staging is well worh it. I would advice you to do so if I was your agent. If you need a new agent give me a call or email me. I'll get you top dollar.
For my 2 cents they sure can handle it, if you'll allow them. A large part of staging is removing clutter and personal effects like self/family photos and pictures/awards. If your place has good size, it becomes important to show the floor space. In short, you need to de-personalize the space so a buyer can envision their life there, not yours. If there is no furniture there, renting some may be an option. This allows a suggestion of what may work in the space.

Sure, there are people who make a career out of staging. IMO, I just don't think it's rocket science and not difficult to get done. I'm sure other will disagree. Good luck.
In general people are very visual, and staging does help a lot to get across an attractive picture to buyers of how their future home may look and how they may want to decorate the apartment after they buy it. Virtual staging could be a good idea too - it makes on-line pictures look great!

To decide whether your apartment needs to be staged or not, one would have to know your apartment better, if it is furnished or empty, if it is cluttered, if any cosmetic renovations (quick and inexpensive) may make it look more fresh and desirable.

It would be useful to analyse feedback your agent have received from people who visited your apartment during these 6 month - what were they saying, what impression it makes without a staging and what impression you would like to achieve?

Sometimes, having some nice artistic objects around, paintings, flowers, some bright tasteful and happy color accents (like a nice table cloths, a big vase, or an accent rug) can change a way a space feels by setting up a brighter mood.
Hi, if the home will be vacant and empty then staging can be a good idea, especially for online pictures. If not then you most likely don't have to spend the money to stage it. Other factors will determine whether its really necessary such as location, condition, and amount of competition. If you trust your agent then go with their direction.

Chris
Dear Heyitsnay,

It's wonderful that you realize that staging does sell a home. Yet some homes may not need staging depending on its condition.

Your agent may feel that your home does not need staging. It may need a few little touches like a coat of paint and getting rid of clutter whichhe or she can advise you on. On the other hand, it may need some staging.

If you'd like to send me some photos I'd be happy to take a peek and give you my professional opinion at no charge to see if you need staging or not.

Ross Ellis
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Member of Real Estate Board of New York
212.317.7828 direct
770 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10065
rellis@halstead.com
To add to the other responses. An agent may have the speciality/experience in doing this look at some of their prior listing. I do not feel that it is necessary but the decision is up to you. Once a property is declutterd and priced correctly it should sell.

Hello, if you will give me to list your home, I will stage it at no charge-$0
Thanks.
I agree with your agent, why spend the money and eat into your profit. Many agents can guide their seller with decluttering and rearranging the home for free. Unless your home price is high end, it's not necessary. Just make sure it's priced right, clean and easy to show. Good luck.

Janet Nation, CBR
Sailing Home Realty
Direct: 646-321-9649
Office: 516-377-4760
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
http://www.jnationproperties.com
You have one shot at getting the photo's right. Better to get the house staged properly. The Staging companies I use will come in and do a full evaluation and submit a list to optimize the property to sell. If you would like any information please feel free to contact me.

Depending on the condition of the apartment, staging could be helpful. However these days, one can also virtually stage apartments so potential buyers can see through pictures the possible layout of the furniture etc.... Not all real estate companies offer this alternative. If you require help or advise, please feel free to call or email me directly.

Good luck with selling your apartment.

My best
Anoop Punjabi
City Connections Realty
Email: apunjabi@ccrny.com