Denise, Home Buyer in Kalamazoo, MI

I'm interested in searching out a condo but I'd like to now the association fees and expectation's before

Asked by Denise, Kalamazoo, MI Sat Dec 1, 2007

contact. How can I do this? Thank you.

Answers

5
Every condo community is different. In the Kalamazoo area there are association fees ranging from $75/month to $500/month. Some condos only offer the bare bones exterior maintenance, some offer fitness rooms, tennis courts, walking trails and many other types of services. It all depends on what your looking for. I'd be happy to meet with you, discuss what your looking for, and give you some options of what may meet your criteria. Please feel free to contact me at rhouvener@kw.com or (269) 760-4223 if you'd like to discuss this in more detail.
Web Reference: http://RonHouvener.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2007
Preceding comments are correct. The fees are reported in the multiple listing system, so you can review that before you set appointments and determine which ones meet your budget guidelines. Some fees may include water and trash removal. As far as expectations, are you thinking of finding out what the bylaws are? Some associattons have restrictions regarding pets, renting to non owners, etc. You will want to ask for the statements to see the reserves amount when you are ready to make an offer Who manages the units? It looks like Ron below offered to help you with all the details and best of luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2007
Denise.....Your local Realtor can help you with this. There is something called "listing watch" they can sign you up for that will email you a copy of the listing that will include the HOA fees on on each unit. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 1, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Your best bet is to ask your Realtor on each listing. I've found that the vast majority of listings include that information somewhere in the comments.

As some of the other listings noted, many of the associations require a buy-in fee that is usually 1% of the sale price, but that is not always the case, particularly in the lower-priced properties.

Make sure that you understand what those fees cover, as this can be a significant benefit to you as a buyer. Feel free to contact me if you need more information.
Denise:

There are a lot of terrific condos for sale in Kalamazoo and Portage right now and sometimes the association is determined by the size of the condo. Another thing you have to make sure you take a look at is the buy-in fee when you do purchase a condo. Generally I have found that in the Kalamazoo area it is about 1% of the purchase price. Also in Kalamazoo we are beginning to see many plats that the homes are actually site condos and they also have dues and buy-in fees. As always, the location you want to live in is a very important criteria and in this market, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for certian seller concessions. If you need any help with your condo quest, I have lived in Kalamazoo for 40 years and would be honored for the opportunity to help you out. My email address is Mark.Reisterer@coldwellbanker.com and I can also be reached through my website at KalamazooHomeListings.com. I hope to hear from you soon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2007