Home Buying in Santa Monica>Question Details

Newb, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I'm interested in placing an offer on a property but the seller's agent won't pick up her phone or call my agent back. What should I do?

Asked by Newb, Los Angeles, CA Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

22
Dear Newb,

It has been my experience( when this has happened), that a property either has an accepted offer, or has so many offers that the listing broker sometimes "loses interest" in additional offers.
When it comes to distressed property, it's not unusual for a broker to have literally many dozens of offers to go through.
If it were my client, I would try one last ditch effort at either going personally to the listing agent's office or contacting the broker of that office to get an answer. But, most likely the property is sold.
Have you tried reaching the agent via mail or any other viable way? In the meantime keep searching for homes,you might get a better one.
I am also a home owner and looking for the home for sale in Edmonton.I have also faced some problems with agents and they also won't pickup up his or her phone .Using the agents is one of the benefits of having an agent assist you in the search and purchase of a home. They will do everything they can to ensure good communication with the seller's representatives.And i my opinion you should contact to the agent whom i contacted.
Rocko
With Regards..
May be she is busy lets give her the benefit of the doubt ,call me please I can help you ,may be she has many offers ,,,don't be disappointed there is help .HENA MARTIN (BROKER)760-251-2868
It is a common problem. Most listing agents are self -important jerks. They don't feel they need to work. They want people to chase and beg them. I hate listing agents.
Dear Newb~

Feel free to call or text me and I will gladly get you a quick response.

With appreciation~

Kevin Krakower
Teles Prooperties

310-493-9895
kevin.krakower@telesproperties.com
good evening newb,

although it doesn't feel good that the listing agent isn't returning phone calls i wouldn't waste time with any assumptions as to why but take your best foot forward and take action for what you can control. meet with your agent and write a solid offer and have your agent personally deliver it to the brokers office. once delivered, it has to be shown to the seller. i hope it works out.

best,

robbie sikora
310.710.5214
Gibson International

If you are working with an experienced buyer's agent, follow their advice.

If you do not have faith in your buyer's agent, interview many of the fine realtors on this board, and choose one that you feel comfortable working with.

Douglas Lagos
Realtor®, Certified HAFA Specialist (CHS)
DRE# 01921046
Coldwell Banker Residential - Brentwood
Tel. (310) 463-8088 http://www.douglaslagos.com
If you are really interested in placing an offer then...Place the offer. She'll pick up the phone then.
What is your agent's advice? Consult with her first. If you still need help, or need assistance, call me directly.

Elizabeth Sorgen
310-469-0500
Many agents communicate only through emails for documentation purposes.
You should move to the next property where the listing agent does pick up the phone or returns your call... even if you have no chance to buy it, they should at least give the courtesy to return calls...

On the other hand, as a listing agent I take dozens of calls from buyer's agents that are asking for questions already answered in the listing in the MLS... some of these agent even say they do not have access to the MLS... why would I return their calls or do their job for them? In that case I do not return their calls...

If she is the owner of the company then most likely she is the broker, as is the case with me. Hard to say why - some agents are just bad or lazy, and she may also be bombarded with interest and cavalier about getting back to you. You can look her up at dre.ca.gov and see who is the broker of record.
There are so many agents that won't return the phone calls, emails and text messages. I even leave messages that I'm a buyer just to try to find out if the properties are still available - no responses. A lot of agents have their own investors that they sell all their distressed listings to and they're not interested in more clients to work with or cooperate with other agents on their listings. Good luck.
This is unfortunate. It is the Agent's responsibilty to ensure that the Seller's best interests are being represented, and that means making the property available and securing offers.
It is a very "hot" market right now and things are literally moving very quickly. Is this a local agent? Maybe your Agent can call or visit the Listing Agent's office manager to make sure that you are not left out of the competition. Maybe there is an explanation and any good manager should want to ensure that business is done according to the highest ethical standards. As well, if that does not help, I would suggest that you write your offer with your Agent, and that you then go directy to the Seller. Let them know that you have written an offer with your Agent and for some reason i has been difficult to reach the Listing Agent, but that you would like very much to be considered
Good luck! In this market, you want to be respectful of the lines of communication but also aggressive enough to be at the table.
Since you already have an agent - it is best you work with your agent direct. Unfortunately there are some unprofessional agents/behavior that I come across every day in Real estate business, however don't this small problems discourage you from purchasing your property.

Good luck with your purchase!
Welcome to the world of Los Angeles real estate. The one thing you should not do is handle this yourself. If you call the listing agent they will think that you are unrepresented and the one thing you do not want to do is have the listing agent represent you, especially since it would appear that they are already acting unprofessionally. Your agent is the only one who should be handling this, but there is obviously something going on that is making the listing agent uncooperative. If it is a short sale there is a chance that the agent is trying to stop a foreclosure, which is often the case. Unfortunately, this is a common experience for us Realtors® trying to set up showings and make offers, and in a hot sellers' market like this, buyers do not have a lot of recourse.
Web Reference: http://www.homejane.com
That is one of the benefits of having an agent assist you in the search and purchase of a home. They will do everything they can to ensure good communication with the seller's representatives. If you ever need assistance or information, feel free to call me, I would be delighted to help.

Guy Reid
Engel & Voelkers
310 699 2601
guy.reid@evusa.com
Write the offer subject to buyer inspection. Deliver it and see what happens.

Best….

Jodi Summers
The SoCal Investment Real Estate Group
Sotheby’s International Realty
310. 392.1211
jodi@jodisummers.com
http://www.SantaMonicaPropertyBlog.com
License # - 01343854
**
The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give your gift away.
—David Viscott
Call me and I would love to help you. I both live and work here in Santa Monica.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-923-2334
http://www.HeatherPaulOnline.com
It says she's the owner of her real estate company. How do I find out who her broker is?
Call her Broker. Find out the office she works with and all the office - ask to speak with the broker. It would also help if you had an agent who was doing this for you.