Home Buying in Boca Raton>Question Details

DB, Home Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'm in the process of purchasing a property in Boca Raton. Should my realtor discourage me from wanting to call the HOA and ask questions?

Asked by DB, Fort Lauderdale, FL Thu Jul 11, 2013

My realtor has dragged her feet on giving me the phone number to the association even though I'd like to ask them questions about restrictions, what the master policy covers, etc. Is it normal for a realtor to do this???

Answers

19
No. I would rather let my client do the one asking the questions of the HOA, rather than "playing telephone" with me acting as the middleman between client & HOA. Seems like a perfectly reasonable request.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 11, 2013
Once you have an accepted purchase agreement you will be reviewing the association documents. If the seller hasn't signed your offer yet...just HOLD ON :) I suspect you don't have a deal just yet... so you are jumping the GUN ;)
I agree Patricia Prosje.
Please seek legal assistance before you close on the property you have a contract on if you are not going to engage another agent to represent you.

Best wishes Hwkeye05...
It sounds like you do not have much confidence in your realtor espcially with all of your questions you have posted on Trulia. i would suggest obtaining another realtor.

Patricia Prosje PA
A1 Florida Real Estate
I am a Tennessee Real Estate Broker but I would definitely encourage you to contact the HOA to satisfy yourself. Regarding their ByLaws, Fees, Common Areas, Items the HOA covers in the Association Fee.
not unless there is something to hide...
agree!
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013
Calling the HOA is very important for a buyer as you would want to know everything you can about your new home. You also need to contact them regarding filling out your application as they will most likely require this.

http://www.FloridaMoves.com/Joseph.Santini
hwkeye,

One of the very first things you should be doing when entering into a contract for the sale and purchase of real estate is to make immediate contact with the homeowner's association. Not only may there be a formal approval application process that by Florida law can take up to 30 days you will also want to get copies of the community rules and regulation, review budgets, learn about any current or upcoming capital expenditures, etc. It is crucial that you educate yourself about these things during your inspection period so if you see anything you do not like you still have the option to do something about it. Speaking with the property manager can be a very informative discussion and again should be one of the very first things you do when entering into a contract.

Best of luck and if I can offer anything additional please let me know.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com

Don't let your realtor discourage you from calling the HOA.

Tomorrow morning give them a call. Tell them you are planning to buy a home in their community and you want to know all the rules and regulations. These are the rules you will have to live by, and its important for you to know what they are.

Good luck to you.
No it isnt .y all means,call and verify anything you want to know
Hi hwkeye05:

Understanding HOA rules and restrictions is an important part of your due diligence. Yes, your agent should be helping you with this. If you cannot get the info from the agent, I would check with people in the community. You may have to knock on a few doors, but it should not be hard finding someone with the phone numbers. If you want to do this from the comfort of your living room, go to the link below and click on the "Address and Neighbors" link at the top of the page. Put in the address of the condo you plan to buy. You should get information you can use to find someone with HOA contact info.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
info@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
Please get to the bottom of what you need to know before the final signature. Tell you realtor to stop dragging her feet or someone else will get the job done. The HOA should be financially sound and well managed.
AJ Soni
Coldwell Banker
H- Your Realtor may just not be" up" on tracking down
HOA Contact information. Not an excuse- just an explaination.
None- the- less you need this contact Info! You also need
to review the relevant Association " Doc's" in print!
If these are not made available or the Association's copy fees
are excessive the link below may be helpful

http://www.flcondodocs.com

Sad to say, but not all agents are focused on the items that
buyers require- to move forward on properties in
Community Associations! " Doc's" and Current Financials are
"must-reading" ! No matter,-Just make all offers subject to your
review and approval of " same" . If you need further Info,
Contact me directly -Glad to help!

Bob Brubaker Highlight Realty Palm Beach County Fl. 561-876-6649
Realtor and Licensed Community Association Manager
Web Reference: http://pbc-realcam.com
Hi hwkeye05,

I always give the HOA contact information to my clients and I also call the HOA myself because there are always questions. I don't understand why your realtor would do that, but not every realtor works the same way.

Nitza Ramos
East Coast Realty Group
Direct: 954-856-3156
Website: http://www.nrcv.com
No, it is not normal. You should have their phone number, and if you don't, just look them up and call them. Many have websites with TONS of information on the net. Do a Google search and see what you come up with.

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller
Realty Associates
Boca Raton, FL
I am bewildered. But I do not get involved with other realtor's client's.
I am not a fan of HOAs; I've got the scars to prove it!
If you are going to do it; I would tell you to go out there, walk the streets and talk to the residents, your new neighbors, and ask them about living there. I wouldn't believe the HOA if they had one hand on the Bible.
Some HOAs are financially un-sound and mismanaged; something to ask about.
Some HOAs are dictatorial and unreasonable; something else to ask about.
Did the Seller DISCLOSE anything about the HOA? Did the Sellers live there?

Good luck, you're gonna need it!
That is very disheartening to me, you indeed should have access to the Association and all the condo Documents soon after you enter into an agreement with the seller. You may want to seek legal advise before you close if your agent does not receive these documents from the HOA on your behalf and present them to you.
I agree. Although you should want your agent to do this for you and provide you with the information, there is nothing restricting you from calling the association and asking. In fact, part of the "inspection period" when you go under contract is for you to be provided with the by-laws and financials of the association for your review.

On a side note, GENERALLY speaking property managers and those who work for them are not the most helpfull and/or friendly people. Again, not all, but many. It is possible that your agent may be protecting you from those unfriendly people so as to not to give you a bad experience during your purchase.