Shellywhen, Home Buyer in Old Fourth Ward, Atl...

I'm considering buying in the Fourth Ward. I know the area's transitioning,but it seems like it has potential.

Asked by Shellywhen, Old Fourth Ward, Atlanta, GA Tue Jun 30, 2009

Opinions?

Answers

7
Hank Miller - Broker/Appraiser’s answer
This question is three years old - did the transition occur yet? Or should we check back in about anothe 25 years? I'll check next time I'm in there doing foreclosure appraisals....

Hank
Shelly -

Drop me an email when that "transition" occurs...I've been appraising frauds and flips in there since '93. Until something serious is done about the fraud so common in the city, the 4th and so many of the other "transitional" and "up and coming" areas of Atlanta will be mired in the mud. It's so bad that in many neighborhoods I can't even find close to reliable data. Yet and still I see "sales" for 200K-300K that end up with foreclosure appraisals of 10K-20K....and no one is held to task.

I'd be real careful with any of these "transitioning" areas.

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 30, 2009
It does have potential, but it sill has a long way to go. You need to do a lot of research before buying into that area. There are certainly good investments in the area, but there are plenty of bad ones too. Grant Park is an area that is further along in the "transitioning" process, but with any area in "transition" there are still spots that you want to stay away from.
Many areas in Atlanta are being called "transitional", when they really have a long way to go. Lucky for you, Old Fouth Ward is actually transitioning upwards! The best clue to look for are new developments, like the 2 expensive apartment buildings that AMLI have developed, where the 2 bedrooms go for up to $1600 a month (they have granite, stainless, etc) This brings young professionals to the area, which is a great step to a tranistion. Also, Old Fourth Ward has recently opened a wonderful park that backs up to Ralph McGill. Areas like these help the area transition, so I would say this is a great place to buy low and ride the wave up! If I can help you in any way, please let me know!
-Samantha
I have lived in the o4w for two years and I love it! I live with my husband and my daughter, and we have had no problems. I do suggest getting involved in the neighborhood association. We have met lots of our neighbors, and it really helps to feel like you are helping the neighborhood transition.
I think there's great potential in Old Fourth Ward. My opinion is that intown living will continue to be desirable because of the close proximity to work, tons of festivals and events. A lot of people are getting tired of the long commutes from the suburbs. I think it's a cool area. By the way, I have an amazing old Victorian home listed in Old Fourth Ward.

Jen Bowman, Associate Broker, e-PRO
Success Realty
404-456-5024
Web Reference: http://www.JenBowman.com
Old Fourth Ward is a transitional area but it also is one of those with the energy in the air of good transition. The good deals that can be had, the quality of life and the proximity of location to downtown Atlanta is making it more and more popular. There is a lot of good inventory to look at there. I would be more than glad to pull up what is available in the area and send to you to look at.

David McEachern
Keller Williams Realty Chattahoochee North
404-406-0638
http://www.dmceachern.com