Vicky, Home Buyer in

I'm considering buying a nice home in Manhasset Hills, NY.

Asked by Vicky, Mon Mar 17, 2008

But the adjacent high school's yard is directly behind the house's back yard. Does having a schoolyard adjacent to the home have a negative effect on its home value? Do you suggest I wait for another similar home which is further away from the school?

Gail Gladstone’s answer
I used to live in Manhasst Hills. The feeling about being adjacent to a school yard is personal. I have always felt that the closer to a school I was located...the safer I felt. What are your hesitations? The other good reason I would like being adjacent to a park or a school is that I know nothing else will go up on that close neighbor...and the school yard gives an optical feeling of having a larger property.

I say...go for it!
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 17, 2008
I showed the house you are speaking of. In my opinion, the noise from the football field should not be a factor for that property, mainly because the field is elevated, which will send the noise over the house.
Hu Vicky, How are you? I would like to introduce myself, my name is Shirley Abraham-George, I am a Lic. Real Estate Associate Broker. I have been practicing Real Estate for the past 17 years. I was rasied in the Herricks School District. The Herricks High School is located on 100 Shelter Rock Road, New Hyde Park, NY 11040. I also have listed and sold many homes in the area. If you are considering purchasing a home adjacent to a school, you need to weigh your options, Its terriffic if you have school aged children, Typically it does have a negative effect on the home value, its called an external obscelesence. If you are still looking to purchase a home in Manahasset Hills, or in The Herricks School District, please let me know if I can be of assistance. I can be reached at (516)712-9262 or check out my website at
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 14, 2009
Is this a trick question to see if the real estate agents are familiar with homes in Manhasset Hills? There are NO high schools located in that area.. You may under the impression that the Denton Elementary School on Denton Ave. is a high school. The local high school, called Herricks High is located in Searingtown. If you are really interested in looking for a home in Manhasset Hills, please call me, Beth Blume, at Coldwell Banker, 516 621-4336 as I live in the area and am very familiar with all it has to offer.
if you like to see another house you can visit our website.
Web Reference:
Vicky< when you buying you need to think soon or later you will going to sell it, that kind of location allways going to limitate the number of buyers who are willing to look or make an offer.
Depends if there is noise from the school yard and it will bother you or not.