Joe, Home Buyer in Campus Commons, Sacr...

I'm considering a condo in Campus Commons, what are the downsides to living there, downtown comute.

Asked by Joe, Campus Commons, Sacramento, CA Thu Oct 11, 2007

Answers

5
Sarah Campbell’s answer
Good advice so far.... :)

I myself live off American River Dr and commute to my office in East Sac each day...it's really a great drive because you can mix it up and go over the J Street bridge or take Howe or Watt to the Freeway...it's just nice to have options during heavy commute times...

Campus Commons is a beautiful area and it's very well maintained...you are close to everything..tons of restaurants, shopping, etc...the only downside to Campus Commons is basically the downside of 'condo' living.....which has mostly to do with HOA dues...they are very very high in this area and with 12+ different associations it ranges from $250-$500+/month...the great news about condo living though is that you (in most cases) aren't responsible for a lot of the exterior mainteance (roof, exterior of home, grounds etc.) like you would be with a home...plus, you always know your neighbors homes will be kept looking good (on the outside at least) and that's a HUGE factor when you go to sell...that is one of the main reasons this area is so strong, holds its value and is so 'desireable'...it may cost a little more to purchase here vs some other condo areas, but in terms of selling, you will be a way better position down the road than areas where the HOA's aren't as strong...

Good luck on your search!

Sarah Campbell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2007
Campus Commons is a great collection of different condo communities. Where downtown will you be commuting? From Campus Commons, you can shoot directly down Fair Oaks Blvd to J Street, and be downtown during rush hour in 10-15 minutes.

There are not many downsides. The only real downside is the HOA dues in Campus Commons can be almost $400/month depending on which community you buy in. On the low side, HOA dues will be just over $200/month. These are meticulously maintained complexes with many mature, long term residents. My office lists many many properties in Campus Commons, and I tour many of them...In my opinion, you really can not go wrong there!

On another note, there is another condo community nearby called East Ranch - basically at the corner of American River Drive and Munroe in Sierra Oaks. Very nice, high end units there as well with a similar feel to Campus Commons. If you have not explored those as an option, ask your agent to show you. An agent in my office was telling me today about a new listing she has coming up there in the next week.

Please feel free to email me with more questions...my office is less than a mile from both Campus Commons and East Ranch...
Web Reference: http://www.erinattardi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 11, 2007
Erin Stumpf, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
Close to the river, downtown, the university, restaurants and shopping. Lots of greenery. I don't see much downside to living there at Campus commons. Because it is so desirable, the cost of living there is probably higher than say Woodside or Fulton Square - condos that are further north.

I think you might find the cost per square foot cheaper at Fulton Square or Woodside. But the commute to downtown is two to ten minutes longer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2007
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
THE COMMUNITY: Campus Commons is a Planned Unit Development (PUD) of approximately 1,160 single family attached and detached homes, located at the southwest quadrant of Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue in the Heart of Sacramento. Residents and their guests enjoy all the amenities of this master-planned community including beautiful Clubhouse facilities, Landscaped common areas, Miles of paved walkways, Swimming pools, Tennis courts, Spa and Fitness Rooms, plus easy access to the wonderful American River Parkway, Jedediah Smith Memorial Bicycle Trail, the Guy West Bridge, and California State University, Sacramento (CSUS).
THE BUILDERS: Prior to development, the Campus Commons property was widely known as the Horst Hop Ranch. It was planned & developed by a local Sacramento partnership including Bob Hurst, R.J. McClatchy, J.J. McClatchy, Gordon Jack, Jack Matranga, and Henry Moss. R. C. Powell Developments and Teichert Land Co. became involved in the development in the early 1970's. Robert C. Powell built Villages 3 & 10, the Garden Homes in Village 4, and all the homes in the Nepenthe Association. Kimmel Construction built the homes in Village 5 (St. Charles Place). Home construction was completed in 1979.
HI Joe, Campus Commons is a great little area with a short commute to downtown Sacramento. In terms of downsides, paying Home owners dues are always the catch with any condo. Depending on your budget, and desire a single family house will give you more privacy than a condo but that is up to you. Have you tried your commute from Campus Commons to your job? I usually have my Buyers give it whirl just so there are no surprises. No matter what your decision...I wish you the best and enjoy your new home or condo!