Home Buying in Hilliard>Question Details

Angela, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

I'm buying a new build, so I don't need an realtor. Our sales rep has been helping us make decisions, but

Asked by Angela, Columbus, OH Mon Sep 15, 2008

one question we keep swaying on is my husband likes the idea of a loft, but I think the 4th bedroom would be better. Our sales rep doesn't seem to want to get in the middle of it.. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Answers

10
Ouch! That sales rep represents the builder NOT YOU!! You absolutely need buyer representation in a new build, often times even more so than in an existing home purchase. Now, it sounds like what you have on your hands is a personal debate and one that any agent would be wise not to 'get involved in' either. BUT, speaking from a market value standpoint only, a 4th bedroom always carries more value than a loft. If you go with the loft, be certain it is positioned and structured in such a way that you are able to finish it into a 4th bedroom in the future need be.
No, you don't NEED a Realtor. You don't need one when buying a pre-existing home either.

However, as you can see from the answers below, the solution to your question partly weighs on personal preferences and partly on the value of the home based on your choice of a loft or a bedroom.

A Realtor could tell you whether, and to what extent, a fourth bedroom would add value to the home. A Realtor might also tell you what other homes in the community typically have. And a Realtor wouldn't be quite so reluctant, in many cases, to express an opinion.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
You do and this ? is very old?

TJ
Angela,as a certified new home specialist,when Im showing home with a loft,its a 3br w/loft the listing agent will almost always try to say its a 4th br or loft could be 4th br etc.. I would just go w/true 4th unless you guys plan on being there for long time.And just because its a new build, having a Realtor doesnt effect the price at all,so why not have a realtor involved to point out benefits?good luck.

Regards;

TJ
Web Reference: http://tjroberts.remax.com
I know that you are building for yourselves, but lives and situations change and someday you will probably be selling your home. The 4th bedroom is definitely a better choice for resale. Buyers often consider looking at homes based on the number of bedrooms and baths, among other criteria. In fact, some buyers will only look at 4 bedroom homes, but those who want 3 bedrooms will also consider those with four.

Maybe you can design the bedroom with solid french doors that close, so that it can be used as a "bonus room" or "den/office" as well as a fourth bedroom. A builder may be able to help you with an attractive diagonal door option that would work. Just make sure it has a closet -- even a small one -- because without it a Realtor can't describe it as a bedroom when it comes time to resell.

In your case it is probably too late, since you have worked with the builder up to this point, but a Realtor costs buyers nothing and can actually help to get extras from the builder. For example, I know that one local builder will give a washer and dryer to every one of my customers. Another includes certain kitchen upgrades. Without a Realtor, a buyer will not know these things, because they are not offered by the builders upfront. Realtors know which builders have better reputations, which ones work better with buyers, and even which salespeople are the most knowledgeable. Even if none of these things work out, a Realtor can assist you with building decisions that will help protect your real estate investment for your future.

Cheri Ireland, Realtor
Michael Saunders & Company
Venice, Florida
Angela, it really depends on the purpose of the loft. If you're going to use it for a tv room, is it located in such a place (away from the master bedroom) in which noise wouldn't be a factor? Do you entertain often enough that an extra bedroom would be utilized, or will it simply be a dust collector?
While a loft is appealing, think about the use. If you're aware of other buyers that have taken the loft option, you might see if contact is possible, and see how (if) they're using it (or, not- could be good info for you).
Good luck in your new home!
Web Reference: http://optionsrealty.com
Angela:

It does not surprise me to see that the builder sales rep did not offer their opinion as to which option would offer better resale value for you. The sales rep is there to sell homes for the builder and for as much profit as possible.

The fourth bedroom is a much better option for you when it comes to resale value. I work with buyers on a daily basis and have heard many comment that a loft is a wasted space and would prefer to have the extra bedroom.

Did you know that you can hire an agent to assist you with choosing the right options when you build a home at no cost to you? An agent can counsel you on choosing the right lot, the appropriate finishes for your market and neighborhood and troubleshoot any issues that arise in the building process.

Best of luck with your new home,

Brittany Simonelli, Realtor
Revealty
Buy. Sell. Understand.
614.940.3067
bsimonelli@revealty.com
Why do your husband want the loft? And why do you think the 4th bedroom would be better? Personally, for me, it would depend on what the rest of the house looks like and how I'm going to use the space.

Is your sales rep representing the builder?
Is the sales rep a licensed real estate agent or broker or a Realtor?

If the answer is yes to either of the above questions, then I know who is representing the builder. My question is: who is representing you?
Better for what? If you are buying for your own use and pleasure- the layout and bedroom count that suits your lifestyle will determine what is best for you. Statistic are revealing that people are downsizing [most people] having the 4th bedroom may not be a huge benefit.

If the property is located in a neighborhood that attracts large families with young children- perhaps having a 4th bedroom would be better for resale purposes in the future.

Buy what YOU like- you will be living in the property.
How do you plan on using the space? That should be the question you ask yourself. By the way, even though the sales rep has been helping you make decisions, remember the sales rep represents the builder. There is no one protecting your interests. For future reference, Buyers should always have representation on typically the largest purchase of their lives. It doesn't save a buyer money by not having a Agent, the Seller's agent just gets paid twice as much. That is negotiated between the Seller and Agent before a buyer ever enters the picture. Best wishes in your home purchase, and remember everything and I mean everything should be in writing.
Web Reference: http://JenBowman.com