Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Lauryn Elle, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

I'm absolutely terrified of snakes but Charlotte is my dream place to live.Though I do want to find the safest neighborhood from snakes in

Asked by Lauryn Elle, Denver, CO Thu Jun 7, 2012

Good afternoon, Lauryn:
I grew up in CA with a science teacher who had kids bring field snakes into his classroom to observe for a few days or week, then let them go again. I was always pretty good a finding snakes. But in Charlotte, and even camping in the mountains with the Boy Scouts, I have not seen very many at all. I was a little concerned that there would be poisonous snakes, but the only ones we've seen are in the children's museum and zoos. There are a lot of great places to live in the Charlotte area. I suggest you a house you really like and don't let "snake fear" drive the decision. If you appreciate an answer, please give "thumbs up". For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a "best answer" click.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 7, 2012
Thank You!
Flag Thu Jun 7, 2012
Lauryn Elle,

Highland Creek is a great subdivision. At one time, it was the best selling neighborhood in Charlotte. People are friendly, lots to do, and the houses are affordable. As regards the issue of snakes, I suggest that you pick an interior lot away from the ponds and woods.

As a Charlotte native, I think that I have seen one water moccasin on our family farm which was many years ago. You are far more likely to encounter a copperhead than a water moccasin. Black snakes can bite you; however, I have come across many of those on our farm and never been bitten. These snakes move quickly away from you.

There are some companies that will remove any kind of wild animal in your yard here. Critter
Control is one of those companies. Cats will often scare away snakes. You can contact me personally with any other questions.

Robin Faison, broker

Your question caught the attention of me as well as many other people. I moved here form Connecticut 8 years ago and in my research there was some concern about poisonous snakes. I only enjoying viewing snakes in the zoos behind the glass walls...Anywhere else and I am running faster than the wind.

In my time here in Charlotte I have not encountered one snake (except at the zoo). In fact, I have been camoing a few times and have not encountered any there either or during any of the many hikes I take through the woods and the mountains.

I think just about anywhere in Charlotte you go you should be okay in regards to the potential of snakes. I have talked to a lot of native charlotte people who laugh when I tell them I was afraid of snakes and a few have mentioned to me they have never even seen a snake either....

Dave diCecco
This question caught my attention because I too, like many others hate snakes! I do believe the more urban you go then you will be less likely to run into them. Although, I live out in Union County on a wooded lot etc...and rarely see them. Now...I know they are there but I just watch out for them.

I grew up in NY and truthfully we had more snakes in our yards up there then I see here. Probably why I don't like them.

You can do like I do and save your hiking and really woodsy type activities when it is cold and they are not out. Then I am all brave hiking in the woods. LOL

Really don't let the fear of snake keep you from Charlotte. Unless you move to Ireland you will have snakes where ever you live.
LOL! I hear you. To me the only good snake is a dead snake. I have lived here for almost 30 years now. There are very few poisonous snakes in this area. There are copperheads (which could pop up anywhere) and water moccasins (mostly near areas such as a lake or large pond). We have king snakes that many farmers purposely put around their homes to eat the copperhead snakes. Those are considered "good" snakes but they still give me the creeps.

All of that aside, there just aren't that many snake incidents in the urbanized areas around Charlotte. You don't hear of frequent snake bites within the city. I grew up in the midwest (St. Louis County) and we saw snakes frequently - especially dead on the roadways. You just don't see that around this area. I believe you will be safer here than you are hiking the mountains of Colorado.

Charlotte is a lovely place to call home and I am sure that your fear of snakes can be managed if you choose the right property in a good location. I wish you all the best in your great adventure. If there is anything I can do to assist you in your exploration, please feel free to give me a call.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267 (cell)
Hi Lauryn!

Truly a question I've never heard. Anyhow, it seems that communities that are newer/new construction that have smaller lots and no wooded yards are the way to go for you. In the suburbs around here, if you get into wooded lots, etc. that's where you run in to snakes, etc. If you're really looking to stay away from that, you're best with a planned unit development where they cleared the lots and planted a few trees/shrubbery.

Contact me directly if you'd like help finding a place!

John Siddons
Hi Lauryn,

I will have to say I have never had to think about this question before, but I agree with Lexie. You will want to stay away from neighborhoods with ponds or that are in densely wooded areas. I would also look to new construction that has smaller lot sizes (less yard to worry about). As always the more urban you go, the less you will have to worry. I do not think a snake has ever made up an elevator, so high rises would be good.
In regards to Highland Creek I would say that would be an average risk of snakes, not that I have any expertise to say that, but it is your typical neighborhood with threes, shrubbery, and backyards. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or call!

Michael Laine
cell- 704-619-3971
Highland Creek... has snakes. It is just going to depend on which house you purchase. You just don't want to be near a lot of the woods... (which there are a lot in Highland Creek) or near a lot of over grown ground cover. But a normal yard.. with normal trees... normal... moisture, no stacks of cut wood, in any neighborhood and you are not going to have a "snake problem". Snakes are looking for food, so don't be breeding mice... you should be fine.
In the seven years I've lived in Charlotte, I've only run into snakes three times and they were the garden variety. I'm very active outdoors and I don't feel threatened by them. Fortunately, the snakes are more afraid of you and they will feel you coming before you see them and scurry away to a safer spot. They'd rather avoid you than be stepped on!

Warm regards,

Belinda Agosto, CDPE, CIAS
Hines & Associates Realty LLC
Direct/Text: 704.200.8823

http://www.CharlotteHomeConnect.com (Where you go to search for ALL homes including Foreclosures, REOs and Short Sales)

http://www.CharlotteForeclosureRescue.com (Where you go if you're in Trouble with the Bank!)

http://www.HUDHomeAdvisor.com (Where you go to find out more about HUD's $100 Down Program on Government Foreclosures!)
Thank you very much.I just want to ask one more question though I know I shouldn't worry.Do you consider Highland Creek to be a fairly safe place?
I think you will be safe if you live in one of the high rise condos uptown! No snakes there...

All kidding aside, I don't think you will have a huge problem with snakes. I would avoid yards or neighbors yards that have a lot of ivy... or close ground cover. You also will want to stay away from damp areas.. such as near a creek or pond. There are tons of homes that you won't have any problem with snakes.