Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Sdleelee83, Home Buyer in Mission Viejo, CA

I'm a 29 year old army veteran of operation Iraqi freedom. I've been employed here in san diego for the last 7 years and make around 70k

Asked by Sdleelee83, Mission Viejo, CA Sun Nov 10, 2013

gross. I don't have credit cards or as of this month a car loan. I have access to about 15k primary residence withdrawl from my 401k. My current fico score is 646. I am ready to find a home and was curious what I need to get the ball rolling. I'm interested in a home in the country estates area or Ramona. Would a 300k home be in the realm of possibility? Thank you for your time.

Royce Kemp’s answer
Definitely take advantage of your VA benefits for a VA loan, they are *the* best loan programs out there! From all the info you provided you should be well qualified to obtain a loan. Your dollar goes a lot further here in Ramona compared to the rest of San Diego so you can still get a nice place for $300K price point. I just found 4 properties under $300K, and two more under $330K in the Country Estates area. Pickings are slim but it only takes 1 right?

See the listings here: http://www.premierehomesinsd.com/listings/areas/99626/minpri…
It sounds like that you may qualify for a VA loan. This type of loan is specifically exclusive to veterans and has great benefits such as easy credit qualification (score of 560 or above), zero down payment, and competitive rates. I suggest you speak with a lender like myself who would be glad to speak with you to help you get the loan that you need. If you have any further questions or if you would like a loan, feel free to contact me. Good luck! Brian Nguyen Sr. Mortgage Banker Phone: 949.667.2887 brian.nguyen@nafinc.com
We do VA loans all the time and that would be your best deal unless you have more than 20% down.

For mortgage help, call (630) 639-1081 or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states and you can apply online at http://www.myccmtg.com.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (630) 639-1081.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Phone: (630) 639-1081
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
Hey buddy,

Pretty simple, really... You use the VA to do a zero percent down purchase, and keep the 15K in your 401K. We can do VA down to a 620 fico score, so you are good there, and rates are not any worse with a 646 than they would be with an 800. So you are also good there... 300K should be no problem at all. If you want to verify that, I can show you what you would qualify for in about 5 minutes over the phone...

I am also a Marine Corps Veteran of OIF and OEF, so I do a lot of VA lending. There is also a huge benefit should you have at least 10% service connected disability. Give me a call and I can explain...

858-345-4725 or daniel.lehman@wjbradley.com

Sounds like you're an ideal candidate a VA Loan. Contact a reputable local lender and get pre-approved. Once pre-approved, find a reputable local real estate agent to assist you in finding your ideal home.

P.S. Thanks for your service to our country!
Become pre-qualified with Military Home Loans ( see link and info below ). This will let you know just what your purchasing power is and what your options truly are. Ken Bates and Military Home Loans is your best and the first starting place for complete / comprehensive VA loan advice.
Then you can confidently select the home you'll qualify for.
Ken Bates and The Military Home Loans Team
3914 Murphy Canyon Rd, Suite A144
San Diego, CA 92123
NMLS ID#: 253312

Good luck to you! And thank you for your service.
Warm Regards,

Jacques Albrecht GRI

Call & Text: (858) 581-3700

Realty ONE Group
CalBRE Lic. # 01332802

My assistant actually lives in the San Diego Country Estates in Ramona and her Husband is an OIF Vet. They used their VA loan to purchase a home right around $300k. Up in that area, the possibility of finding a home in that price range is much higher than looking down in the main San Diego area (my assistant tried, it was difficult). My assistant is extremely familiar with that area since she has lived there for the past three years, is also familiar with VA since she purchased with that type of loan, and is also a licensed real estate agent. Our lender also works with VA and would be more than happy to help get you started.

Please feel free to contact us for more assistance or if you have any questions on the area. I am sure Angel would be more than happy to give you the scoop on Ramona and answer any questions or show you homes.

Semper Fi & Hooah

Sam Rasoul & Angel Belt
CA BRE# 01192260 / 01842997
858-304-0726 Sam
760-805-4415 Angel's Cell
As a veterans that works with a lot of veterans I hear this question a lot. Of the face of what you told me it sounds like you are in the ballpark. There are currently three homes in Ramona for sale under $300,000. I'll put a link to them in the web reference below. If you plan on using your VA loan benefit I have a contact over at Veterans United that can give you detailed answers about your purchasing power that I can put you in contact with.

J.R. Thrasher
Thank you for your service.
You are an excellent candidate for a VA home loan and single family residence to match your needs in a house.
I will be glad to assist you and provide references from other US Veterans that I have helped over the years.
Happy Veterans Day,
Steve Seper, Broker / Owner
Balboa Park Realty, Lic #01730524

Thank you for your service. Feel free to contact me if you re looking for a great VA lender.

Valerie Wengeler
REALTOR Bre Lic# 01934056
Hello fellow veteran and thank you for your service. With your veteran status, you can qualify for VA home loan - take advantage of this benefit.

For my personal assistance, I can be reached at;

Ricardo V Caccam
BRE# 01169545 NMLS# 241602
(858) 268-4500
email: rvcaccam@att.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
Hey buddy, Its the Marine Corps birthday today, and as a former Marine I want to thank you for your service (before I eat my cake). Not sure what service you were in, but thanks a lot.

One HUGE benefit of military service is the VA loan program. 0% down on a 300K property, no problem. FICO is fine at 646. We can go as low as 620. Interesting thing about VA is that your FICO has very little impact on your interest rate. So, your fico will not really give you any disadvantage over anyone else.

300K is probably fine, but it depends on your OTHER debt. In other words, the amount that you can borrow is based on a "debt to income ratio", or DTI. Here is the formula:

Monthly debt payments (cc's, car, student loans, etc) PLUS prospective home payment (that we can calculate = DEBT. Gross income = INCOME. Debt as a percentage of income is your DEBT to INCOME ratio.

As long as you are under 60% for VA, you should be good to go. There are some other considerations, such as residual income when it comes to VA, but I have a feeling you would be good.

The key in your situation is to get EDUCATED. Understanding the process will give you a much better experience. Going to a bank that will just push paper for you is like going into a warzone without a good understanding of the mission. If you dont have a mission, and an understanding of how to accomplish it, you are in trouble.

I can educate you for free, and if you want to take my advice and go to a different lender that's completely fine. But please make sure that you get educated on the process.

Give me a call and I can have my assistant put together a time that we can talk/meet if you'd like depending on your location. My office is in UTC, but I have satellite offices everywhere, and definitely prefer to meet my clients in person.

At that point, if you DONT have a realtor I can make some recommendations on that as well.

Looking forward to speaking with you. Hope all is well!

Daniel Lehman
WJ Bradley Mortgage Capital, LLC
I just read through the comments, and its funny because Ryan Lamb is on this post, and he is EXACTLY who I would have you call for a real estate agent. He and his company are exceptional when dealing with VA buyers, no matter who you go through with for the financing. Best of luck!
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your service to our great country!

I am a Marine Corps Veteran of OIF and a Mortgage Banker Specializing in VA Home Loans with PrimeLending.

My business is simple... I serve those that have served.

Please feel free to have a look around my website at http://www.VALoansForVets.com or call me direct at 480-538-4980 to discuss your pre qualification.

With gratitude,
Jimmy Vercellino
Hello Sdleelee83,

Like you I am also a Veteran with 11 years of Service in the US Coast Guard. I can help you find a good lender that can qualify you with your current credit score and I can help you buy a home in Ramona with little or no money at all using your VA benefit. I work with many lenders who want to help veterans.

To answer your question is $300k a possibility in San Diego Country Estates in Ramona. I think it is possible. There are actually two single family homes for sale in this price range in this neighborhood. Nice looking homes I might add. If you want I can email them to you.

Also save your $15k call me and I will show you how I bought my home with my VA benefit only having to pay for my inspection and that was it.

Jeffrey A. Vidal
Direct: (619) 734-7306

Search Homes on my website http://www.sdrealesatefirm.com
Good Morning Sdleelee83

Thank you for your Service.

I am a Mortgage Banker here in San Diego. It does appear that you should have no issue qualifying for a VA loan. That said, to confirm that you should speak with a lender who specializes in VA financing. I come to you with 35 plus years of experience.

Please contact me if you would like a free consultation. All information is confidential with no obligation on your part. I can also refer you to a good real estate agent in the area that you desire to live in relative to your purchase.

I have left my contact information below in case you would like to spend a few minutes talking by phone. Although I was raised in Orange County, I am now here in San Diego.

Best of Luck with your search.

Wayne L. Brown
Mortgage Banker
SecurityNational Mortgage Company
Individual NMLS # 343946
Company NMLS # 3116
Direct: 858-997-6300
Email: wayne.brown@securitynational.com
Website: Wayne Brown
Good Morning,

First of all let me say thank you for service, it is appreciated. I am a direct lender who specializes in VA financing and have been doing loans here in San Diego for close to 2 decades. Would you like to come into my office this week to to discuss your options as they pertain to buying a home with your VA entitlement? Regards, Paschal Curtin
Yes. I would be more then happy to get you pre approved for a loan. Also, since you are a veteran you will be eligible for a 0% down VA loan

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

Everything you mention seems to fit together into a picture of an awesome home. Living in Ramona, I believe I can find you the perfect property, for the perfect terms. Shoot me an email, and we can start looking at properties today! I will work diligently to find the perfect home! All of us previous Army types have to stick together!

Cecilia Taylor

Get excited!

Happy early Veterans Day! I am a former Marine, left active duty in 2011, the same year I first used my VA loan benefit. As a veteran I would highly encourage you to use your VA loan benefit, it will give you 100% financing so that you can save your cash and keep your 401k as it is. Over the last 3 years my team and I have closed over 100 VA transactions so we are very familiar with everything you need to know and we can refer you to one of the best VA lenders in San Diego. I would love to assist a fellow veteran in your search! Let me know if I can help. Email: ryan@reefpointrealty.com or feel free to Call/Text 716.997.6504

Look forward to assisting you throughout the entire buying process.

Ryan Lamb
Buyer Specialist / REALTOR®
Reef Point Realty & Construction

716-997-6504 (C)

As Hector stated Thank you For Serving! And yes, first thing is to get you qualified so that we know where are starting point is. We have a preferred Lender San Diego Funding and you can contact Chris at Chris@sdfunding.com or 858*254-4325. I have complete trust in him and it helps that he has an office inside of our office.

In the meantime, I can send you some homes to view and if you like any arrange an appointment.

Barbara Maguire
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
First of all, thank you for your service to our country!!!

It seems like something very possible, your income and assets need to be calculated, but I would guess that a 300k home is realistic. First of all, lets get you pre-approved for house hunting, my preferred lender is Arlene Maldonado from Impac 619-954-4038

Hector R. Gastelum
Allison James Estates & Homes
REALTOR #01382940