Phong, Home Buyer in Modesto, CA

I'm a veteran and pre approve for a VA loan, but been so difficult because it seems like sellers don't want to deal with va loan. what can i do?

Asked by Phong, Modesto, CA Sun Nov 4, 2012

Answers

16
As some have already answered this question, when buying VA patience is the name of the game. Many times sellers as well as other agents would rather sell a property other than to a VA buyer because there are certain fees that the Vet can not pay for so those fees are passed on to the seller. The property also must meet rigid VA requirements. Again, sellers would rather sell to someone who is using a non VA type of loan. Being a Vet myself, I work hard to assist other Vets in purchasing a home guiding them through the difficulties facing them. For more information you can contact me or visit my website: http://www.mcgrathaguirre.com
I have personally closed several VA loans in the Modesto area over the last 90 days and find it most challenging when the 'other' agents simply do not understand the VA process.

I have found that VA has many benefits and for those that qualify, its a great program. I would first question a real estate agent before beginning the process...ask questions such as:
1. How many homes have you sold over the last 6 months?
2. How many VA loans have you closed over the last 12 months.
3. Do you have any personal references that I can contact?

Then take it a step further and ask your lender the following questions:
1. Are you experienced in VA financing?
2. How long have you been a lender?
2. How many VA loans have you funded in the last 12 months?
3. What kind of guidance can you give me as a veteran?

Of course by contacting me...I can help with all of this, but don't simply assume that all agents know how to help Veterans in finding and negotiating a sale or that all lenders can do a good job on a VA loan!!!

As a follow up to this question, many times it isn't so much the home seller that doesn't but I believe it is their agent. Cash closes faster and conventional loans appear stronger. The Vet gets left behind. If the property is in great shape there should be no problem. However, many properties really don't meet VA or FHA standards and both buyer and agent shouldn't expect the seller to spend money to bring it up to par when it can be sold in its current condition to the cash or conventional buyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
I agree and that is a real shame. As it has been stated before, you need a Realtor who goes the extra mile. Myself, I generally look to both knocking on doors in my client's choice of neighborhoods and I look to the MLS for properties that expired or withdrawn unsold sending letters that I have a vet client looking to purchase and if they are still interested in selling perhaps we could work something out
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 6, 2013
For USDA Loans you have to know your areas Modesto is not USDA territory Call Me Molly Mooney it mush be rural
Give me a call veterans loan are fantastic if you know what your doing Molly Mooney 209 809-5365
By the way VA loans can be closed in 30 days you just need to have your ducks in a row I have always found them great to work with Molly Mooney MollyRE@msn.com
First of all the house has to meet VA qualfication they are a little harder than the fha loan but Iv done you can also do a VA no no call me 209 809-5365 we need to talk did you get your cert. or email me at MollyRE@msn.com
Hi Phong,

Getting an offer accepted for a VA loan can be challenging but it is not impossible. Keep in mind that what the seller of the property is looking for is the most return and the easiest, shortest escrow.

VA loans have special requirements, the borrower cannot pay for certain fees and these charges get passed on the seller etc.

The key here is to find traditional sales, or programs that look at owner occupied offers first... it will take time but it will happen.

Marivel Romero
REALTOR (R) Hablo Espanol

ZipRealty, Inc.
Licensed in CA, #01871830
marivel.romero@ziprealty.com
Toll Free: 1.800 CALL ZIP x8718
Cell: 209.606.7891
Fax: 866.921.3861
My Profile: http://www.ziprealty.com/agent/maromero
I am also a veteran,
This market can be very difficult in getting a VA offer accepted but clearly is happening. We just closed 2 VA clients before the end of the year but I can definitely see your frustration. First of all check with lender to see if you have another option for financing, (ie: FHA, Conventional or assistance programs). You may find there could be other options that could be more favorable. Agents or seller's are reluctant to accept VA because they are fearful and don't understand how they work or they may wish to accept something in easier terms. It all is determined how your offer is presented to seller and agent. VA does have more requirements as the appraisal is more scrutinizing and time frames are a little longer but the right agent and right lender can definitely get you a house within a reasonable amount of time.
Hope this helps.

Tim Spencer
(209)345-1023 Mobile
Broker Associate
PMZ Real Estate
www. redefiningrealestate.us
Part of your problem may be the fact that a VA loan requires that a home be in good shape to pass the VA apprisal. You need to have an agent who is familiar with the requirements of a VA loan when your looking at homes. If the listing agent is not sure the home will pass this could be a problem. I know there is a site for you to use the biggest question right now is do you have you certification from the VA not just a pre-approval. with that in hand it all falls on the house. For futher information email me at MollyRE@msn.com. What is the amount you pre-qual for what part of the part does that put you in as far as price.
It's true, I'm afraid. When there are multiple offers, buyers with the VA loan fall to the bottom of the seller's preference.

What you can do, even if you don't technically have to is:

1) Put a sizable earnest money deposit down. You can get it back at the close of escrow. But it shows the seller that you are a serious buyer.

2) If possible, bid a little higher...if the top price is 200K, then bid 201K or 202K. Sellers will often go for the highest price.

3. Have your Realtor find out what terms are most agreeable to the seller, and do everything you can to meet THEIR needs.

Good luck. You will get a deal eventually so please keep trying.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Hi Phong,

First of all, thank you for your service. I appreciate your sacrafice in helping to defend this great nation.

Thanks for your question. Choices are at times limited with regard to VA offers, becuase of the condition of available homes or competition. It's important that you work with somebody that will closely work with you to refine and narrow down the homes in which there is an opportunity for you.

It is possible to find you a home, as I have help several Veterens in this market this year.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again,

Rocky

Rocky G.H. Hawrysz
Prudential California Realty
(209) 444-6610 Direct
(209) 433-2000 Fax
rocky@prucalifornia.com
http://www.TeamHawrysz.com
License No. 01468373
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Karen uses the same solutions I have found to be successful. Without a proactive approach, VA and FHA backed buyers simply are NOT competitive buyers due to the encumbrances associated with these purchase types.

For an agent to invest in this highly targeted and resource intense process, a home buyer WILL need to express their commitment to the agent and the process. This should not be a difficult decision, after all, the cards are truly stacked against you in the existing environment.

Give Karen a call.
No, don't use that Contact button.
No, don't use Trulia email.
Go old school, pick up the phone and give Karen a call, if you are serious.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
Phong, in today's market I admit it would be difficult especially for the lack of inventory and the conditions that comes witha VA loan. Most homes will not pay for any repairs and seller/banks would rather take a cash offer and worry about appraisal and repair conditions. You and your realtor need to stay aggressive and not give up. Also check with your lender if it is possible to qualify for a convventional loan as an option. Good luck and don't give up, there is a home waiting for you when the time and place are right.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012
You're right. It is difficult in this current Sellers Market for those using VA and FHA financing. What you need is a Realtor that is willing to go out and knock on doors to find a home for you. You need to find an exclusive listing that will be sold to just you so that you don't have to compete against 20 other buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 4, 2012