Home Buying in Oklahoma City>Question Details

Shay, Home Buyer in Oklahoma City, OK

I'm a 1st time homebuyer & have already been preapproved for an FHA loan.

Asked by Shay, Oklahoma City, OK Thu Aug 11, 2011

I have a realtor that was recommended to me but i havent met her face-to-face yet only by telephone & through email. I have been approved for about 3 weeks but yet to see any houses in person just online. Well about a week ago I emailed her my wish list when it comes to houses & the features I would like to have. She sent me a list of homes and I emailed her back the ones I was interested in, but no response. My question is what am I supposed to be looking for in a realtor and what questions should I be asking. Do all realtors communicate through email? Should I schedule a face to face with her?

Answers

17
Shay, I would say many agents today are so focused on finding new clients at all costs, that they often overlook the real day-to-day client relationship from that point. It is really two different businesses, attracting business and actually working with the clients. And honestly because many agents are looking to turn the quickest deal with the least amount of effort, they are either unwilling or unaware of the special needs of first time buyers who deserve the extra time and attention to walk through every step of the process, helping them anticipate every step along the way.

Above all, what I would suggest that you look for in an agent and expect from yourself is open and honest dialogue. This is my first topic of conversation with every new client, though one party or the other often forgets along the way. In my first meeting with new clients, I always ask for them to give me their expectations for the process and for my service to them (from what type of communication they prefer - phone, text, email; how quickly they expect a response to questions; how they have imagined their homebuying or selling process to go - hgtv perfect or something more realistic). Then I share with them my expectations for them (to also be responsive when more info is needed and above all to really feel comfortable enough with me to share EVERYTHING along the way - frustrations, anxieties, anticipations with the process or with me). When both client and agent have a clear understand of each other's expectations, it just makes the whole process more enjoyable & productive.

So, I hate to jump to conclusions and judge the actions of another agent and situation for which I don't have all the details. I just believe that this particular agent may not have gotten things started in the right manner with an open and honest conversation. It is obvious that you have expectations that she is not meeting, and she is probably complete unaware of that fact and of your needs because she never asked. Look for someone who is going to have an honest face-to-face conversation to start the relationship, and I trust that you will have a much better experience.

Gary Caplinger, Verbode
405.694.8562
If you have been pre-approved, and are ready to start looking at homes, you should in my opinion get the ball rolling. Ask to schedule a face to face, and to look at a few places the first weekend, or evening that you are available. If the agent you are dealing with currently is constantly unavailable or non-responsive, you may want to consider the option of moving forward with another agent... Call them to show your motivation to look at homes. Their is currently alot of inventory out there to see, and there is a big difference between looking online and in person. When that face to face meeting happens, be prepared and let the agent know what you like and do not like in some of the online listings that you have seen... this will streamline the process a bit and make it easier for you both...

You should be looking for a realtor that communicates with you based on what is expected...Some of my clients will tell me to txt message them during the day, based on their availability to communicate... But this needs to be discussed so you know what the expectation level is and vice versa... A lot of agents will communicate thru e-mail, but what is most important is how you want to communicate... Find one that is compatible with your communication style... in this modern era, some clients would rather use a smart phone than talk to their agent... So, decide what you are looking for in an agent , what you expect, and are comfortable with... But, I would highly suggest a face to face to see if you are comfortable in person with them, remember, you are planning on spending many hours with them looking at homes, on maybe several afternoon and evenings... Why not do it with someone professional, and that you get along with!
Hi Shay:

If you haven't found the right Realtor for you, one that you "mesh" with and one that you feel comfortable with... I work diligently for my clients and I work for my clients best interest. I'd love the chance to meet with you to see if we are a good match. You can reach me 7 days a week.

Jennifer Henning
REALTOR | GREEN Designee
[p] 405.625.1576
[e] Jenn@JenniferSellsOklahoma.com
Generally, I like to meet face to face with my clients before I even begin the process of searching for their new home. This gives me the opportunity to interview them, ask specific questions and get a general feel for the criteria they are looking for in a home. It also gives them the opportunity to meet me, feel more comfortable and educate them about the process. I can then spend my time seaching with confidence rather than guessing,

TJ Jordan, Keesee and Co.,
Hi Shay,

Absolutely, you should of had a face to face meeting and a property tour scheduled by now. I will be happy to meet with you and show you all the houses you are interested in seeing. Please give me a call and let's set up a meeting. There are some fantastic deals available. You can reach me anytime on my cell.

Bridgett Wells
651-9320
bridgettwells@kw.com
Hi Shay, I would love to have a buyer's consultation with you at my office. Buying a home whether it is your first home or not, is a financial investment. I love working with buyers, and guarantee you can reach me when you need to, my cell phone 405-641-8840 is on 8 am - 8 pm Mon-Sat, Sundays 2 pm - 6 pm. It is
definitely a buyer's market, interest rates are still low at this time. I'll assist you in making a great decision on a home. Call me and let's get started. You may want to interview 2-3 realtors, the choice is yours. Have a great day!
Shay,

I know people like to push Bond Loans but they are not all they are cracked up to be. Various clauses could have you paying back money if you decide to sell within so many years after purchase. If you have the 3.5% down payment, just go straight FHA and you can ask the seller to pay up to 6% of the purchase price towards your closing costs but not all sellers are willing to do so. Make sure you are using a good local lender versus an online one with an 800# and limited hours. You have a lot of people drooling over your potential business. Take a step back and talk to friends and/or family for advice but most of all, take your time and do it right the first time. Owning a home is the best thing most people will ever do financially plus it just plain ole kicks butt!

Good Luck Again!

Russell Benson, Realtor®
Prudential Alliance Realty
You definitely deserve to have your needs met and to be dealt with according to your schedule. If you haven't already met with a Realtor that you have signed a "Buyer Brokerage Agreement" with, please call me at 405-209-4737. I am an agent with Keller Williams Realty. My motto is that YOUR needs are MY priority!! Depending on your situation, there currently is bond money available to help pay your downpayment on your loan.

Is your loan through your lender an FHA loan? If so, you will have to put down at least 3.5%. The bond money will take care of that for you. HOWEVER, if you have the money to put your own downpayment on your loan, you might consider doing that because currently the interest rate on bond money is 5% versus what you can get if you have a qualifying credit score of at least 620 on an FHA loan without bond money. That interest rate as of Wednesday was 4.25%. So, you can save on your monthly payment AND you wouldn't be tied to the restrictions that the bond money will burden you with. You need to know that taking bond money will require you to live in the home for a certain amount of time in order to never have to pay that money back. If you move sooner, you must pay a certain amount of it back.

My point in telling you this is NOT ALL REALTORS ARE CREATED EQUALLY!!! I don't just know how to help you buy a home, I also understand the market and can help you navigate through the muck that some people don't know to tell you about.

Are you needing to sell a home also in order to buy your desired home?

Please call me and we can discuss everything in detail.

Let's go get your home you are wanting before it ends up under contract with a different buyer. I have time to talk to you right now!

Brian Edwards
405-330-2626 (office)
405-209-4737 (cell)
bjedwards@cox.net
Certainly give her the benefit of the doubt because something might have happened or she didn't get your email. If after another attempt she has not contacted you, begin the search for another agent to help you. Choose one that is best able to handle the area you want to purchase in. For example, I work South OKC/Moore & Norman but also specialize in homes on land anywhere. Yes any licensed agent can sell you a home anywhere in the State of Oklahoma but you want one experienced with vast knowledge in the area you are looking in. Make sure you choose someone who has been in the business at least a little while. You will probably receive all kinds of offers here to assist you but do your research and ask a lot of questions!

Russell Benson, Realtor®
Prudential Alliance Realty
Shay

I’m sorry you have had an unpleasant experience with a realtor. I love working with first time buyers and will be very happy to furnish you references. Please feel free to call me at 405-740-0584. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sue Lewis
Gatewood Group Realty
(405) 703-3500
(405) 740-0584
sue.ggr@gmail.com
http://www.GatewoodGroup.biz
Hi Shay!
We at The Ub Home Team specialize in working with first time home buyers. We can assit you in aquiring bond money for your down payment. Then with the seller paying all of your other costs, you get into a home 100% financed. Please visit our web site at http://www.ubhometeam.com and call me immediately at 405-365-6400 so we can go tour some homes today.

Wayne Eubanks
Century 21 Goodyear Green
Your Central Oklahoma Realtor
Call or Text: 405-365-6400
E-mail: wayne@ubhometeam.com
Visit: http://www.ubhometeam.com
Web Reference: http://www.ubhometeam.com
There are plenty of Realtors willing to help you, the way you deserve to be helped. I do use email to communicate but also text message, phone, and face to face. If you would like to explore your options feel free to give me a call at 863-6941. I serve Okc, Norman, Moore, Purcell, and anywhere in between. Chasity Nimsey Metro Brokers of Oklahoma LairdNimsey
Hi Shay:
I for got to tell you I do cover the Metro of Oklahoma City, Midwest city, Choctaw, Edmond, Norman, Yukon, Mustang, Guthrie, Piedmont, Surrey Hills,
I will help you in any price range,

Thank You
John Phillips
Hello Shay:
This is what you get in any industry: If you will send me your contact information I will infact contact you and get all the info on home you wish to see and get them set set so we can view them together, It is great that you are pre-approved, do you down payment assistiance, if so I can guide you with that also: In most cases Shay I can also get the seller to pay your closing cost which normally runs from $3500.00 to about $5000.00, this way you know all you have to put down which is required by the Government is 3.5% unless you are getting a VA loan, Then if you do qualify for down paymnet assistance you can actually buy the home with little or no money out of your pocket:
As far as the emails yes most of us do communicate by email, and a lot of the Realtors now communicate by texting only, I still like to talk with my clients and see them face to face, but if this Realtor has not communicated with you since you sent her a want list you can bet that she will not have your best interest.

Call me and you will have my full attention
John Phillips
ReMax Preferred Properties
405 413 0791
Unfortunately, this is happening all too often throughout the industry. Your realtor of choice must be responsive, knowledgeable, & willing to serve.
Your lender that you are preapproved with should also be in the loop to work towards the best overall solution for you in your home search.
I would be glad to visit with you about your home buying goals.
Karl Mengers 405-834-6356
Web Reference: http://Www.karlmengers.com
No I'm not under any agreement with this realtor yet..I havent even met her. We just talked over the phone and through email
I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your realtor; in short, no not all Realtors work only by email, as well a Realtor should be responsive and there to assist you; there is alot to know about a home purchase. I would be happy to meet with you and discuss further if you are not currently under a Buyers agreement with another Realtor

Feel free to contact me anytime at (405)•640•6621.