Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

Arnold Lalan…, Home Buyer in Lyndhurst, NJ

I'm a first time homebuyer and looking for some good lenders...anybody have any good advice?

Asked by Arnold Lalande, Lyndhurst, NJ Tue May 12, 2009

Answers

12
Hi Arnold,

Look at the credible mortgage companies and be wary of the "brokers". Even in this market where people are watching everything....We still have the - YEAH! I CAN GET YOU A MORTGAGE RIGHT NOW AT 3% NO MONEY DOWN, 30 YEARS AND NO FEE'S - mortgage type guys out there, I've seen it all.

I work with a great guy at Wells Fargo Mortgage, he is smart and is sure to give an accurate answer on what you can truly afford. It takes a lot to get a referral out of me and I only work with people that expect quality and give quality in return. That being said.

Tom Foley
Wells Fargo Mortgage
Office: 565-4814

Thomas.foley@wellsfargo.com

You can go right to his site.. enter information and he will contact you directly with your options:

http://www.wfhm.com/thomas-foley
Robin is right - taking the second to note the original date of the question makes good sense - at this point Arnold is long gone, like enjoying his purchase. Heaven knows we've all done it, and when an old question is answered, it jumps back up to the top of the pool, as if a new post.

I've discussed this with Trulia asking whether old questions should be archived so they are not accessible, but they feel that the content may still be of interest to new consumers - so if any of you are reading, "YES" I have several terrific mortgage pros I can recommend to you- if you need one, send me an emai or call.

Best.
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
It's amazing that even after John's answer Renee and Nathan still haven't picked up on the fact that this question was asked over a year ago. Newbies sometimes take time to realize that the date the question was first posted should be considered. Some questions might be timeless, but to me there is no point in answering something like this, without really giving good information, just because Trulia asks you if you want to answer similar questions in your area. Wake up!
Van Dyk Mortgage Service 609-492-1511

Hello Arnold,

I came across your question and just wanted to reach out to you.

My best advice to you is to rely on your buyer agent to assist you with every aspect of the home buying process. A buyer agent is there to protect only your best interests. There is so much to know when buying your first home and can become overwhelming.

You want a mortgage consultant who will have time for you, can meet with you, will explain everything to you and will show up at your settlement. Many lenders do not attend settlement and in my opinion that is just not good customer service. That is the most important day and they should be there with you for support and to explain what you are signing.

If you have any questions, I'd love to talk with you and answer all of them.

I am licensed in both PA and New Jersey.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office Ask for Renee
http://www.reneeporsia.com
Hi Arnold!

What did you end up doing? Did you use any of the recomended mortgage people?
I know this thread is over a year old and just celebrated its "One year on Trulia birthday" and I was curious of the outcome !

Let us know!
You can shop for the lowest mortgage rates in nj at http://www.sjrates.com
Web Reference: http://www.sjrates.com
Arnold,

My best advice to you in today's market is to shop, shop, shop! And to keep in mind that when shopping for a mortgage provider within a short period if time (not sure what the acceptable time frame is in NJ these days) that credit companies will only charge your credit history with "one hit" for mortgage credit shoppers.

Most realtors will recommend that you deal directly with a bank, rather than a mortgage broker.

My recommendation is Dawn Benedickson, 732.259.6077. She'll tell you straight up just by asking questions if she can help (and not waste your time just to get a sale).

Love and Peace,
Francesca, Realtor, ePro
Web Reference: http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Arnold
I have been a mortgage lender for about 15 years and most of my business comes through past clients (about 60 percent) and realtors, so you know people are happy with what i do. Email me with any questions you have. (or you can call) Are you looking in Lyndhurst?
Ruth Bonapace
ruthbonapace@gmail.com
201 741 5269
Arnold:
Banks are scary right now...open one day closed the next. I've also seen some bait and switch tactics from national banks that I would never recommend again. That being said, I would contact a local credit union like Affinity Federal Credit Union. They do not work on commission like most lenders and will work within your means to find a loan that is best for your personal situation. A local New Jersey bank like Hudson City Savings is also very solvent and continually offers great rates and programs. Good luck to you.

Camille Miller
Broker/Owner
Just Jersey Properties
Arnold:
Congratulations on your decision to buy a home! There are so many things going in your favor right now as a first-time buyer! Great rates! First-time Home Buyer's Tax Credit! Fantastic supply of homes to choose from! Motivated sellers! Reduced home prices! Great Lending Programs available!

My suggestion regarding a lender is this ... find someone that listens, will spend time with you and answer questions, has experience and expertise, and is referred to you by someone you trust, whether it be trulia.com, another internet contact, or a personal contact. Now more than ever, you need a strong advocate at your side.

A good place to start may be an attorney or realtor you know and trust. Other professionals such as your insurance person and etc. are great sources for qualified lender names.

I hope this provides you with some helpful hints to move forward with your purchase. Just remember, if you wish to utilize the First-Time Home Buyer's Tax Credit, you must close on a home before the end of November 2009. I'd hate for you to miss out on this great opportunity, if at all possible to gain from its benefits.

Gene Mundt, Professional Mortgage Banker
Chicago Bancorp
Web Reference: http://www.genemundt.com
You can go to your bank and apply for a mortgage. You can also use brand name mortgage companies, such as Coldwell Banker Mortgage.