Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

DB, Home Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'm a buyer in a short sale. Is there a website I can go to in order to find out who the seller's lender is?

Asked by DB, Fort Lauderdale, FL Mon Jul 15, 2013

Answers

5
Your agent should have all this information. It is very important to know before making the determination to enter into a short sale.

It make a huge difference in who the lender is, how many liens are on the property, who the final investor is. All of this information should be obtained to determine the chances of a successful short sale. I'm sure your agent has this information readily available for you.

Marcy Spieker
RE/MAX Metro Realty
I think the answers below pretty well cover it, but keep in mind that the original lender might not be the current lender, and there also might be a mortgage insurance company in the mix. Those will not necessarily be of public record.
If you're working with an agent, ask them to get a copy of the title report for the property. The title report will provide a lot of detail about any liens or actions recorded against the property. As mentioned below, you could also check with the county recorder's office or county tax assessor. The information should be available to the public. Good luck.
In our county it is a public record and our county tax assessor site has the records.
Obtain a copy of the preliminary title report from title company, ask your broker to run the realist and look under mortgage history (assuming you have a broker to work with) or simply ask the negotiator. Private lenders are a bit difficult to ascertain. Best of luck and hang in there.