Home Buying in Queensbury>Question Details

Tleombruno, Home Buyer in Queensbury, NY

I looked at a house for sale by owner and made an offer he did not take. Realtor has it now. I want to make another offer do I have to use realtor

Asked by Tleombruno, Queensbury, NY Sat Mar 10, 2012

Answers

9
The Seller is now being represented by a Realtor. all offers will go through this Realtor.

You may want to get a Realtor who will be representing your interests...or you can submit your offer to the Realtor that is representing the Seller's interests.
No, you are not required to use a Realtor, representation is a choice not a requirement. I needed eye surgery last week, I went to a doctor, there is no law that says I couldn’t do it myself but I chose not to. I also buy insurance, I could self-insure but choose not to. Do you cut your own hair? That last example might be a toss up, a lot of people cut their own hair. If you do not do something as simple as cutting your own hair, why would you even think about doing something as complicated as buying a home without representation? Your hair will grow back, train wrecks in real estate not so much, I hope the info in the link below causes you to pause before risking it alone, good luck,
Looks like your getting some conflicting advice here.

If the seller put you on a protected buyer list, or if the agent does not have the exclusive right to sell, you could avoid the agent and work directly with the seller.

If you are not a protected buyer and the agent has an exclusive right to sell, then yes you need to work through an agent. I'd recommend getting an agent to negotiate for you, rather than working directly with the listing agent.

FYI, a protected buyer is someone who the seller has told the listing agent they are excluding from the listing contract.
If you would like, I would be happy to represent you as your Realtor and submit your offer to the seller via their realtor. Keep in mind that any commissions paid to your Realtor will be paid out of the proceeds of the sale. Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Allen Van Hoff
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
avanhoff@kw.com
518-441-2640

Representing Buyers Sellers and Investors from the Adirondacks to the Capiital District!
answer is no, you do not have to use a realtor
It depends. If the owner has an "Exclusive Right to Sell" (the most common form of listing) with the agent, then the answer is "probably yes". Once in a while there are exclusions written into these contracts that allow the seller to sell directly to someone else. If he has an "Exclusive Agency" or an "Open" listing, then the answer is different. You may then deal directly with the seller and not involve the agent.
Depends on the listing agreement the owner has with the realtor. Out here if the realtor has an exclusive agency sale and listing agreement with the owner then they can sell directly to a buyer who didn't learn about the property through the realtor. If the realtor has an exclusive sale and listing agreement with the owner then they will have to pay the realtor the commission that they agreed to. You can also use your own realtor and it usually won't cost you anything. If you get your own realtor they will be working for you to get you the best deal possible and if you use the realtor that the home owner is using they are required to do their best for you however the home owner hired them and they are required to do their best for them as well. Your own realtor will only care about you.
yes, bring your own agent to work on a fare price.
Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
Yes, The real estate agent has a listing contract with that seller. If the seller had the agent put in the contract that you were excluded from the listing, that he had already showed it to your himself it would be different. Contact the agent, tell them your story.

Good Luck,
Christine