Home Buying in Deerfield>Question Details

livesoncastl…, Other/Just Looking in Deerfield, IL

I live next to a Deerfield house that has been vacant for more than 30 years. It is boarded up and hard to see from the street due to the abundance

Asked by livesoncastlewood, Deerfield, IL Sat Oct 9, 2010

of buckthorn. The village says that no laws or codes are being violated and they can do nothing. My question is, How much is the value of my property being effected by this vacant property next door?

The propery next door will have a serious impact. Not only will it cause some potential buyers to rule out your home before they've even had a chance to consider it, it will also impact the price a buyer is willing to pay. We have seen in the past the effect a neighboring home that has not been maintained can have on the perception of potential buyers as to what life will be like with their neighbors. We would urge you to contant the municipalities where the property is located to see if there is not something that can be done to remedy the situation before getting ready to put your home on the market.
It can definitely affect your value. What you describe is called "blight". If you complain to your local housing/zoning authority, most cities and counties will notice the owner and require repairs to make the property safe and comply with the local laws within a certain amount of time. If the owner does not comply and the house is is very poor condition, the city will actually demolish the house at owner expense. You need to file a complaint. Most cities/counties will protect your identity from the owner, but that is the best way to protect your property values from being affected by an eyesore.
The owners live in a neighboring town (Highland Park and have refused to sell it to anybody. They also own a vacant property on the other sided of the house. 5 years ago the 2 lots were probably worth $1Million. Now, of course, they are probably worth 1/2 that. Here is more information and pictures -

Can anybody guess how this property effects the value of my house next door?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
Hi Lives. Wow. That sounds cool and spooky. What else can you find out about this house? I used to spend some time in Deerfield and Riverwoods, too, when I worked in Des Plaines many years ago. The area is beautiful and desirable.

Are you interested in buying this property? Are taxes being paid on it every year? Very very very odd story. I've seen them vacant for 5 or 10 years max, never 30. That's amazing.

An eyesore like this (if it's visible) is never great to live next to, but maybe you can get the ball rolling and move it onto the market for sale.

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 9, 2010