Question Details

Stephanie, Home Buyer in Reseda, CA

I live in the San Fernando Valley. We can't afford very much because we are a one income family. I stay home

Asked by Stephanie, Reseda, CA Mon Jun 16, 2008

and homeschool the children. I want to live in a nice area where I feel safe and where the home prices will hold their value in the next 7 to 10 years. A place where our house would even appreciate. What areas are affordable for a one income family. Is Lake Balboa, Reseda, North Hills nice? I've been told by some to stay away from those areas. I would love to be able to afford West Hills, Chatsworth and parts of Northridge. Any advice on those areas would be great. Right now they seem filled with REO's and Short Sales which are very competitive and drive the prices up with the bidding. Should we wait until they clear out of the area and then look?

Answers

2
Hi Stephanie,
I hope your wishes come true one day, and I do agree with Diaz in suggesting getting a job. See affording a house and making ends meet is an issue, qualifying by lenders is another hurdle.
Personally, I always keep an updated resume handy and keep it posted on the major job boards such as Monster.com, CareerBuilder and HotJobs.com.
If you get one good break, it could increase your pay by 10% or 20% or more with one job move. Think about it.
I like Altadena personally

PS Pasadena High School Alum