Home Buying in Palm Harbor>Question Details

Sailingx, Home Buyer in Palm Harbor, FL

I live in TX but like to move closer to relatives. I'm looking at Palm Harbor, FL. My question: being close to the gulf, etc. what are?

Asked by Sailingx, Palm Harbor, FL Sat Mar 12, 2011

insturance prices like, etc. Thanks, Susan

Help the community by answering this question:


Well if Alma Kee isn't just the sweetest thing! And one of our absolute favorite Tampa Realtors. It's a rare bird these days that understands the power of helping fellow agents out.
Web Reference: http://pinellaspeach.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 13, 2011
Hi Susan,

Julia and Matt Fischel are great agents to help you with your relocation.

I see you're a sailor and you will have access to inexpensive boat storage in Palm Harbor.

I believe Matt FIshel is also a very experienced sailor!

Go with them and you will not be disappointed.

All my best,
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Future Home Realty
Tampa, FL 33626
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Hi Susan,

We live and work in Palm Harbor where taxes and insurance are quite reasonable. Just like Texas, Florida also doesn't have state income taxes, which can be factored into your decision.

There were a few answers posted here that said flood insurance is generally required West of US Hwy 19, when in fact while there are some homes West of this road that require flood insurance, most don't. The more accurate cutoff in most instances is Alternate US Hwy 19, which runs parallel to US 19 but further to the West and runs alongside The Pinellas Trail. If needed, flood insurance can be nominal to quite expensive - it just depends on the house. Flood insurance policies are assumable from the previous owner, so if that owner is locked into a great policy/rate, you can reap the benefits of that when buying.

As a very rough guide (which I hesitate to provide because there are so many factors), you can estimate that 2% of purchase price will be your annual taxes and 1% for property insurance. Better yet, here's a link to blog site with detailed information on how to estimate Pinellas County property taxes. http://pinellaspeach.com/2009/09/02/how-to-estimate-pinellas… .

Send us an e-mail and we'd be happy to provide you with a copy of our Tampa Bay Relocation Guide E-Book. Palm Harbor is a beautiful place to live!

Julia & Matt Fishel
Suncoast Partners @ Keller Williams Realty
Web Reference: http://PinellasPeach.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
I own a Three bedroom home that has an inground pool. It is 1400 square feet, and has a fireplace. I do not live in a flood zone, and my Taxes are $1310.00 per year, and my homeowner's insurance is $1827.00 per year. Most home in this area do not need flood insurance, and it is still very affordable to own in this area. I have lived in this County since 1977, and I would be available to speak with you when you are ready for more information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
The State of Florida has a great website to help with your question.


You can click on the county on the map and get a summary of Home Owners Insurance rates. If you click on the provider you are given contact numbers for each provider writing insurance for that county.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 6, 2011
Some communities require flood insurance on top of property insurance. If you check the map, any communitities or neighboorhoods west of Alternate 19 require the flood insurance. For a typical $200,000 home w/o flood insurance the property insurance is aprooximately $1500/ yr.; $350,000 to $500,000 the insurance is $2500 aprox,. I need more information from you to give you better answers. Look forward to hearing from you.
Web Reference: http://www.bonnieneiman.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 20, 2011
Hi Sailingx:
Insurance prices vary, in Palm Harbor as well as most markets--in this area we have a nunber of factors which impact coverage. Flood insurance is one necessary evil if you choose to live on or near the water, but is based on the elevation of the home, not on proximity alone.
In some areas wind insurance is also a requirement, and of course, the condition, age, building style of the home itself will always be a factor. So, there are your three biggest factors: flood zone, wind mitigation, and construction.
I have found, as both a waterfront and non-waterfront resident of Palm Harbor for over thirty years, your coverage premium should fall between .5-1% of the property's market value, depending on whether the additional coverages are necessary (so a home of the average local market value of $250,000 a yearly premium of $1250 - $2500 can be expected. This is of course a very broad ballpark, and should be used for generic estimate only.

If you are indeed a sailor, please visit SuncoastSailing.com for local sailing news and events, and feel free to contact me with any questions at all you may have about the local waters or real estate!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 14, 2011
Hi Sailingx,

I work in Treasure Island so I am around the water and can help you in any location of Pinellas County.

I would be happy to get you some courtesy quotes on insurance depending on the type of water you

would like to live on.

My direct line is 727-647-4795 -call me anytime to discuss your needs.
Web Reference: http://sheriray.remax.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Hello Susan;

Insurance quotes will be determined by the size of the property; location; elevation. With this your insurance agent can help you with the correct quote for flood; wind; etc. Please feel free to contact me with the information I would need to find you the correct home and I will email listings to you. Thank you.

Mary Ann Lemon, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Palm Harbor from Tarpon Springs to Dunedin has all water front properties, beaches, etc. Single Family Homes, Condo's, and Town Homes are all available. The zip codes primarily are 34684 and 34683. I represent Buyers and Palm Harbor is my speciality. If I may answer any additional questions, or could you some properties that are available feel free to contact me, or check my website http://www.55OverRealEstate.com.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Susan, it really depends on size of home and location. If you are on the West side of US Hwy 19, most likely it would require flood insurance as well. Once I can determine your specific needs I can give you an approximation of your costs. I too live in Palm Harbor and think it is a great place to live. I am a buyers agent and would be happy to help you in your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011

Insurance is less expensive if you stay east of 19, by rule of thumb. It is still more expensive than Hillsborough county. Elevation will be the issue, as well as, type of home. I would be happy to give you some insurance brokers to talk with so that you can get a better idea. We would be happy to help you in your search. We have helped many of our customers move to Texas, as well as, from Texas.

Let us know if we can help you.

Bill Szydlowski
Web Reference: http://www.tampamyhome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Good morning
If you can provide a price range and type of home please
I then can provide the info you have requested
Web Reference: http://Www.stevebusse.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer