Home Buying in Walnut Creek>Question Details

nirea1982, Other/Just Looking in Walnut Creek, CA

I live in San Francisco and know I cannot afford a home in San Francisco where are the best areas to look?

Asked by nirea1982, Walnut Creek, CA Fri Aug 24, 2012

I'm looking to pay under 100K for maybe a 2 bedroom hopefully 2 bathroom. I've been told Walnut Creek is nice. I have a friend who got a bedroom condo for this price but I work from home so would like to have an office and a yard. I've never bought a home and am hoping to figure out all my options. Paying my $1300 in rent a month for my studio is insane since I could probably live in the East Bay or North Bay for half the cost and own a home, but I want to stay away from Condos as I want my own private yard etc. If anyone can help would be great. If it proves to be too difficult I may look more towards moving to Portland but would prefer to stay in the Bay if possible. It would need to be a property I could easily rent out if I ever moved out of the area as well.

Answers

5
Try looking in Concord, Pleasant Hill, or Martinez. There are unincorporated areas between these cities that will have a lower price. Look at the town of Pacheco.

Stay away from Pittsburg or Antioch.
I am curious about that price point. The market is fierce for anything in that price point and with the high desirability of homes in this area, what is it about that 100k number that keeps you there? Financing, cash, closing costs?

What your money will buy will be a factor. I recommend sign the Trulia Local info tool to begin the screening process. There are places around this are that are very nice but there are always compromises. The sooner you know what you can give away, the easier it will be to make a decision.
I'm trying to keep a low number because for one I am single, most people buying a home are married and have two incomes. Why take out a loan for a 200K home when I can find one for around 100K. It's funny that people ask this um yeah so many homes are in foreclosure all over the country could it have been because people have more debt than they can handle? I have spoken to a few lenders who have told me I would more than likely be able to get up to 150K My goal is to pay less in mortgage than I do currently in rent. I have decided to wait until next year to get pre-approved as my debts should be all paid off in a few months. Also I had mentioned Portland but no one seems to have any comments on whether it's smarter to buy there or east bay
Flag Wed Sep 5, 2012
I would welcome the opportunity to work with you. I have several clients currently that I found condos for in the Concord area (North of WC) They are all 2/1 or 2/1 for approximately $100k
Pls call me and we can discuss further. DeAnn J Simpson, Realtor 925/974-7653
Thanks DeAnn, I'm currently in a year lease till February but around the time it ends I will begin looking. Is it a good or bad idea to see what I am approved for or should i wait until beginning of next year? I can definitely check in with you then on seeing what's available I'm open to Concord I've heard good things about it also.
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
I definitely think condo or town home is the way to go, but agree with the other gentlemen here that under 100k is unrealistic and it's hard to tell without talking to a lender. See what you're preapproval for and then go from there. I live in the north bay and see many affordable options. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions. Rrook@c21mm.com.

Have a good day!
I will be blunt and to the point. You need to speak to a lender first. 100K may not be realistic for what you want. However, 150 to 200K may be realistic and cheaper than your current rent. There really are too many variables without talking to you more.
I can send you to a very good lender. I work in East County where there are still very nice homes that will meet your stated needs for under 200K. Now I don't know if you have to commute to SF everyday, in which case East County may be too far for you.
Give me a call at 925-260-4321 if you would like.
I'm flexible as to where I can live which is also why I'm debating to stay in the Bay area, I know technically I can afford more than 100K if I get approved but I'm waiting till I have all my debts paid off first which should be by next April or so. I'm not sure if having debt really would cause a problem but I assume without debt my interest would be lower, My goal is basically to have a place to live in for a year or two so I can save up and fix up what i've purchased to rent out or flip, If I would stay in the Bay I would possibly live there longer. I'm not looking for a brand new home more of something that's cheap because it needs updated, also it's just me and I really want to pay less than I do in rent so for the right home I could pay more, I don't care where I live I just have lived in SF for 8 years and love it but would be more than happy moving elsewhere as long as good area close by so if I decide to rent it out it would be easy
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012