Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Jaysonblondg…, Renter in Denver, CO

I live in Denver Colorado and would love to start a construction business but to be honest I really don't have the foggiest idea on where to

Asked by Jaysonblondguy, Denver, CO Mon Mar 10, 2014

start any suggestions please

Answers

9
Work with a Builder/Developer for a few years and then when you think you are ready break off and start your own company.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Hi Jay,

Always working for someone else first will help you immensely. Also, to be general contractor you will have to pass states exams and be licensed in each county you intend on working in.

Jacqueline, also gave you some great advice!
Best way to learn a business is the ground up. Pay your dues and work for someone that can mentor you, take a small business class
Get a job with a builder, learn the trade.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. This answer is my personal opinion, has not been reviewed or approved by the company I work for. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/
Pick a location. Within that location pick a specialty, condos, houses, high-end houses. Learn the materials of that specialty. In Chicago suburban GCs suffer because they do not factor condos rules, extra requirements and elevator wait times into their costs.
Start a construction business? Do you know how many are out here that don't know what they are doing? I'd hate to be the one to hire you only to find out that you didn't know what you were doing! I'd have to hire someone else to re-do what you did! It's easy to slap a sign up and say you're in construction
The best try to get the license and after that . Work for sometime with a company like a partner
Jayson,
Start by working for one an learning all you can. Many business fail every year with people who have an idea, but not the knowledge, skill or background to see it through. You can learn on the job or go to school as Matt suggested, both are helpful but you need to work in the field in either case to learn on someone else's dime so you have a chance to be a success.
I would first go to school and get some kind of degree. Then I would shadow someone who does this while in school. After school I would intern for that person. Once you graduate, I would work at the very bottom of said company. I would then work my way up and master each aspect of the business until I knew exactly how each job was done. I would say a year at least in each position would be required. This way you would really know how each level and thing is done. Then from there I would try to manage the business for that guy. Once you got a good grasp, say after about 5-7 years, I would try to become a partner if you were good enough at what you did. Then maybe start your own firm. Nothing comes easy. Start at the bottom, work your way to the top. Those who try to start at the top never last.