Michael Sans…, Real Estate Pro in Wilton Manors, FL

I live in Broward and have a homestead exemption on my condo. If I move to a house I have already own, does my exemption remain continuously?

Asked by Michael Sansevero, Wilton Manors, FL Wed Jun 8, 2011

I would then rent my condo and live in my house, and want to move my homestead exemption from the condo to the house, and hopefully with no gap in the exemption?

Answers

3
you will have to contact your property appraiser and transfer your homestead exemption. You will have the homestead on your condo this year and your house next.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 8, 2011
You need to transfer it. Pretty easy, just go to town hall and change it.

Good Luck

Kevin
If the new home's market value is the same or greater than the old home's market value, the homeowner may be able to transfer the entire difference to the new home. If the new home's market value is less than the old home's market value, the homeowner may be able to transfer a percentage of the Save Our Homes benefit, so that the assessed value is the same percentage of market value for the new home, as it was for the old home. In some cases, the amount a person can transfer is limited to his or her share of the old homestead's assessment limitation difference, based on the number of owners. See your local property appraiser for details on how to determine your transfer amount.

Homestead Owners Who Move after January 1, 2008 Have through March 1, 2009 to
Web Reference: http://nancysheehan.com