Home Buying in Culver City>Question Details

Heather Sant…, Both Buyer and Seller in Los Angeles, CA

I like the schools in Culver City but there are not many homes for sale in the area. Is it worth investing in a fixer upper ?

Asked by Heather Santos, Los Angeles, CA Tue Oct 23, 2012

Answers

9
Yes, at the rate the market is appreciating fixer-uppers are a good investment.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 19, 2013
Hi Heather,

Investing in a fixer in Culver City may be an option, if you can get it at the right price.
Just because its a fixer, it does not mean that it makes good financial sense to buy it.
An experienced agent can guide you in the right direction for homes in Culver City.

What school age is/are your kid/s?

As for middle school, Culver City Middle is highly ranked, but bear in mind that its located right next to the high school, and the CC Adult high school. Meaning that 17 & 18 year old kids would be mingling with 11, 12, & 13 year old middle schoolers. Not all parents feel that that may be a good situation.
Just something that you should know and consider, before you make a decision to buy in any city.

Douglas Lagos
Realtor, Certified HAFA Specialist (CHS)
Coldwell Banker Residential
Web Reference: http://www.douglaslagos.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
The answer is YES YES YES! Culver City,Ca has a terrific school district !I can help you find a fixer upper and great investment in Culver City. The market has been increasing and in the long run you won't lose. If you need help in finding a great fixer upper in Culver City, I can help provide you with some options to get the money to fix it up. There is a PURCHASE loan that is geared especially for fixer uppers.

Feel free to contact me directly at 323-608-4881 and I can point you in the right direction.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
As a current resident in Culver City I frequently come across this question. If you can find a property in Culver City that makes sense financially, then definitely. Along with the school district, shops, restaurants and new developments, this is becoming an L.A hotspot in a Sellers market. Here's a tip ! As we fall into the holiday season be alert for properties in that area. As Realtors and investors tend to take time off, Sellers are anxious to sell there home. Do not be discouraged, be prepared.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 23, 2012
Dear Heather,

Residents in the area for years(10+) have seen their homes appreciate tremendously. The city has undertaken revitalization/redevelopment and Culver City is a real "hot spot" right now, both in Commercial and Residential arena's.
The problem is inventory, there is not enough for sale in the area, so you will have some stiff competition for the homes that are available. As far as your question is concerned, it depends upon the individual property and what needs to be repaired and the costs.
Take my advice and work with an excellent "Buyer Agent", who knows the area, on your purchase so that you can get the guidance you need.
Hi Heather,

Properties in Culver City are not "hot" as they seem in the replies here.
you find properties that are not moving for months-on-end. prices of properties are down 100-200K and there are no buyers.
I have a 3 bedroom condo that if you want I will sell to you at a 150K loss. Interested?
Hi Alexi,
You're right it does depend upon where you are in Culver City and also if you are in the Culver School district. Sorry you are having trouble....can I be of service?
Flag Thu Dec 27, 2012
Hi Heather,

I have lived in Culver City for 13 years and have 2 children in elementary school. I am Executive Vice president of our school's PTA and can tell you that we have an awesome school district where the administrators listen, the teachers are engaging students and the parents are involved.

Schools are ranked on their Academic Performance Index (API) scores which ranges from 200-1,000. The 5 Culver City Elementary Schools are in the range 847-942. For more information, visit http://www.ccusd.org or feel free to contact me directly.

Lezlie Brazil
DRE $01748609
T 310-991-4263
E lezlie@lezliebrazil.com
W http://www.lezliebrazil.com
Have you considered the South Bay? The homes in West Torrance and North Redondo are relatively affordable and have excellent schools.
If you can find a property in Culver City that makes sense financially, then definitely. But inventory is extremely low there in general and anything that does come on the market is going to have a ton of buyers. The market everywhere is tough right now for buyers.
Web Reference: http://www.homejane.com