Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

mcdherr, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I know the specific building/block where I'd like to buy a condo. Is there a way to find out about listings that never make it to the MLS?

Asked by mcdherr, San Francisco, CA Mon Dec 30, 2013

Answers

10
There are some ways to find out about listings that do not make it to the MLS.

The first is through a realtor typically they will know what is available or who to contact about specific off market sales. There may be a realtor who specializes in sales in the building you are looking at, or who can find out for you.

The second way if you are looking for properties that may have sold that are not listed is through the county recorder's office or a title company. All purchases even off market will have a trail as to who the new purchaser is and you can often times back end into the purchase price from the tax assessors office by using the current property tax rate.

The third way is the MLS will sometimes collect the off market information after closing and mark it as an off market transaction.

Best of luck.

Gregory J. Bryan
GB and Associates
Cell (415) 640-4341
gregorybryan@gbandas.com
DRE#01797646
http://www.gbandas.com
Web Reference: http://www.gbandas.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 30, 2013
The best way is to get connected with a local Realtor that has the right connections in the City. I know of a very successful agent that does a fantastic job for her clients and mine. I would be happy to pass along her information to you if you like. She specializes in SF. Just click on my profile and send me a message.

Jason Walter, CPA
REALTOR
The only thing you can really do is to get a real estate agent that is well connected. They will be able to help you the most in acquiring a specific property or condo complex.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
mcdherr,

A lot of informed answers below, but I think the takeway has to be that you need to be working with a strong Realtor in the area. Beyond that, know that it is beneficial to have your lender take a look at your preferred building or complexes. By doing that, we can assess if conventional financing will be possible when you ultimately locate the unit you desire. A little bit of work up front can save a lot of headache later on. RPM has a great reputation for getting condos financed in the city and we'd be happy to help if you've not settled on a lender.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Aside from things that people hear, there is a specific network for the top agents and brokers in the area to get upcoming and off market listings. This is the main venue for getting these listings and if you want access to them you have to work with someone who belongs. As one of the top producers in the area we do belong and would be happy to help.

Lance R. King – Broker/CEO
King Realty Group

BRE # 01384425
415.722.5549 - Cell
lance@king-realtygroup.com
Mcdherr,

I would echo what my fellow Realtors are saying that your first stop should be with an experienced Relator who specializes in the area/street on which you're looking. I can't speak for all companies, but I do know where I work at Vanguard Properties there is a very collaborative and open environment when it comes to off-market and pocket listings. This gives me and my brother (and business partner) first hand access to some of the best listings in the city from some of the best agents. I'm always happy passing along any and all the information I have to clients who may be interested in a particular off-market listing.

The real key is finding someone who you connect with, and can trust throughout the buying process so speaking with one or more Realtors until you find a good fit can be a good strategy to employ as you two will be working closely together throughout the process. I hope this helps, and please feel free to reach out with more information, and I would be more than happy to assist you in any way that you need!

All the best and good luck with your search!

Aaron Bellings
Realtor, Vanguard Properties
Aaron@vanguardsf.com
BRE #01915431
(415) 601-3000

Often agents are notified of off market listings through colleagues or relationships they've fostered with other brokers in the area. My recommendation would be to contact an agent and discuss with them exactly what your looking for and if they're aware of units in the respective building your considering.

You'll want to keep in mind that a vast majority of sellers prefer to market there properties on the MLS as this will garner them the highest pool of buyers.

Lizete
Web Reference: http://www.LizeteSantos.com
I'd be happy to run an MLS search as well as using other databases for recent comparable sales and nearby sales that otherwise would not be included in the MLS. Best, David
I agree with Eric. A realtor can help you in condo search.

Best wishes,

Elva A. Wormley
Mortgage Consultant
(408) 615-8500
C2 Financial Corporation
2845 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 209
San Jose, CA 95128
NMLS #331981 / DRE #01274093
I would get hooked up with a realtor you trust and have them identify all the condo buildings in that block. Then they can set up a search to watch for things that are coming up in the building. They can also look at history to find out if there are any agents who have sold more in that building who may have the inside track on listings that may be coming up.

Best of luck

Eric Castongia
Zephyr Real Estate
BRE No. 01188380
Web Reference: http://SFHotBuy.com