Home Buying in Diplomat>Question Details

Boat Guy, Home Buyer in Diplomat, Cape Coral,...

I know it is kind of broad, but please give me the pros/cons of waterfront in the $400k range in Cape Coral vs. Port Charlotte.

Asked by Boat Guy, Diplomat, Cape Coral, FL Fri Dec 9, 2011

Answers

14
Cape Coral has more Waterfront Properties (you have more choices) than Port charlotte and it is closer to the Islands of Pine Island, Sanibel and Captiva from here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
I hope that since posting your question in December you have been able to weigh in on the positives and positives!! of waterfront living in Florida. Could there be any negatives??
As you may already know, Lee County real estate is my specialty and I get a tremendous amount of enjoyment from helping home buyers like yourself find the perfect house. I especially enjoy helping retirees find the perfect destination in Florida to enjoy their golden years on a golf course, beach, or wherever their heart desires.

I can honestly recommend living in most parts of Southwest Florida. But the best real estate in Lee County that I’ve found, is right here in Cape Coral. In my new eBook, I give you the Top 12 Reasons to Retire in Cape Coral, Florida. In this FREE eBook, you’ll learn:

•How Floridians benefit from no state income tax and low property taxes

•How low the cost of living is in Cape Coral compared to other cities in America

•Where to find the best restaurants and places of entertainment

There is plenty more in this eBook to pique your interest. You can download it for absolutely free by clicking the icon to your right. OR you can simply stay tuned to CapeCoralRealEstateInformation.com over the next few months as I share the tips from the eBook with you.

If you’ve been searching for a home in this area and you need a Lee County Realtor® to answer all of your questions, I’m more than happy to help. Please contact me online or call (239) 565-7867. I’ll even send you a FREE Cape Coral Map if you’d like!

A.J.
Web Reference: http://ackermanswfl.com
Hi there fellow boating guy ;)

The pros and cons will vary based on how you plan to use the waterfront! I primarily focus on the Fort Myers/ Cape Coral market, but wanted to send you a link to my Boating Guide. For years now I have been documenting the waterways all over South Florida - from Gasparilla to Key West.

I love/live to fish and enjoy the water with my family, so what is important to me in a waterfront home may not be what's important to you.

My best advise would be to make sure you not only tour the homes by car, but also by boat. This will help you determine if the home fits your boating needs! For 400K you will have plenty of options - so I am sure you will find the perfect home and be admiring the water very soon!

Make it a great day!
Shane "Waterfront" Wilson

Below is a link to my Boating Guide, check out the posts about Little Gasparilla Island, there are tons of pictures of the sunset, the fish & crabs we caught (and yes - they were delicious!)
cape coral waterfront is declined the most in value so getting more bang for buck is possible down there.

Here is complete list of Cape Coral Waterfront. http://www.house-guy.com/Cape_Coral_Waterfront

best of luck, we just helped some out of state buyers get a beautiful home for $350K under contract, direct access home, little older but the value for them was location. We would be happy to assist you in any way we can.
Hello Boat Guy,
I agree with the others, you really need to visit both areas and see what clicks for you. Both areas offer great boating access. Have you visited the areas in the past? Cape Coral was noted as being the second safest city in Florida. It was one of the top ten places to retire from Money magazine. You just need to figure out if its right for you. If you would like, I can mail you a map of Cape Coral that has the canals all mapped out with bridge heights, just let me know. I would be happy to help look into Cape Coral to see if works out to be the right fit.

Have a great day,
Nancy

nancy.doyle1@comcast.net
239-209-2237
http://www.nancyd.listingbook.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hi Boat Guy,

According to my information: Port Charlotte is about 6% cheaper than Cape Coral (as far as cost of living), and housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference between the two, which is about 20% cheaper in Port Charlotte. So, based on a $400K range home, that can be an $80,000 difference in price.

I live on a waterfront property in the Cape and boat here as well. Both communities are very nice and have beautiful waterfront properties. I specialize in waterfront properties all over SW Florida so if you are interested, please feel free to contact me. I hope my information provided some pro/con detail you can actually utilize!!

Have a great day and be sure to visit my website for more interesting facts.

Therese A Clapp, Licensed Florida Realtor
MBA, GRI, SFR, AHWD, REPM
Member of REBAC: Buyer Representative
Century 21 Sunbelt Realty, Inc
725 Cape Coral Pkwy W
Cape Coral, FL 33914
Primary: 239-542-4777
http://www.thereseclapp.com
Web Reference: http://www.thereseclapp.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hello Boat Guy,

First, what kind of boat do you have? I do business in both cities and like each while I myself decided on Cape Coral for my personal residence.

I love the activities of Cape Coral and the river life.

I also have a condo 2/2 coming on the market with a 50' boat slip in with deeded water rights, power, water, protected marina, 15' beam and 6' draft. So if you have a sail boat, no bridges and your in the river in a couple minutes tops. The condo is being completely redone and it includes an allowance for the buyer to pick the furniture!

Looking forward to hearing from you directly at kevin@kevincloutier.com or call at 239-246-6639

Cheers

Kevin Cloutier, REALTOR
Southern Premier Realty
Cape Coral, FL 33914
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Cape Coral offers over 400 miles of canals and in the 400k range you can get a beautiful home with quick and easy access to the gulf.

If you are undecided between the 2 areas I highly recommend you check out both of them. I know a really great real estate agent that handles Port Charlotte and we have shown numerous buyers properties in both areas. She shows the buyer property in Port Charlotte and I show them property in Cape Coral and then the buyer decides what area is best for them. Sometimes they end of choosing Port Charlotte and sometimes they end up choosing Cape Coral - every buyer is different.

As a resident of Cape Coral for over 23 years I know the area extremely well and would be more than happy to show you property. And if you would like, I can have the agent I know in Port Charlotte show you homes there.

Feel free to email me or call me - I look forward to hearing from you.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE
Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
cell: 239-707-4575
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hi Boat Guy,
What you will probably notice from some of the other answers, is that agents from Cape Coral will say that the Cape is best, and Port Charlotte agents will say their city is better! Danielle is right, it is a very personal decision. Your best bet, if possible, is to visit both areas and get a feel for what you like and don't like about each one.

If you are a true 'boat guy' and want to be able to get out to the Gulf quickly, then Cape Coral probably will have more choices for you. You can get a beautiful waterfront home with a pool in Cape Coral in the $400's that can get you out to the gulf in just a few minutes.

If you have other criteria that are important, give me a call and we can discuss it. I'd be happy to try and be objective - coming from an agent who lives and works in Cape Coral! Also, you can check out our website for some of your Cape Coral options.

Margie Birch
mbirch1@comcast.net
239-691-1303
Web Reference: http://teamaubuchon.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Hi Boat Guy,
Have you considered Punta Gorda? Right between Cape Coral and Port Charlotte. Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles have some great buys. You can have either Sailboat or Power Boat waterfront. If planning on buying Waterfront Property, you must check it out before you decide. You'l be happy you did.
Call me for a list of the best deals available.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Genevieve Ramachandran
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Cape Coral is the best waterfront and Boating Community in Florida. 400 miles of canals.
Lots to do!!!! Community events, plenty of restaurants and shopping. 30 minutes from the international airport.
Cape Coral has been my home for 29 years. Great prices on Waterfront property. friendly neighbors and to sum it all up, just a great town.
Please visit my website for detailed information about Cape Coral at http://www.LiloRealtor.com
Web Reference: http://www.LiloRealtor.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
Port Charlotte and Cape Coral are not what I would consider comparable. Cape Coral has far more waterfront available, access to beaches and there seems to be more community events, shopping and dining.

Deciding on a city is a very personal decision though. If your ideal city is a boating community Cape Coral would be the best destination for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011
The biggest pro is you will get MUCH more home for your money in the Cape.

Also, with Cape Coral recently being rated in the top 10 best places in the nation to retire as well as having the 2nd lowest crime rate in the state I feel it has the best chance of preserving the value of your investment.

Additionally, you will be close to the amazing beaches at Sanibel and Fort Myers beach and there are literally TONS of things to do, such as the monthly Art Walk and Music walk in the historic Fort Myers River District, the great nature trails at Six Mile Slough preserve.

If you would like to discuss the options and have a detailed report of what is available that would suit your needs please feel free to email me or call my direct line at 239-362-6481 and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Respectfully,
Anthony Cincotti
Realtor ® Maxim Realty
anthonycincotti@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 9, 2011