Home Buying in Laguna Woods>Question Details

Sun.kang.949, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I just started looking for a home in Laguna Woods and I had a really bad experience already with a Listing Agent that works for the onsite Brokerage.

Asked by Sun.kang.949, San Francisco, CA Tue May 27, 2014

Not sure why you are not working with an agent of your own....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 27, 2014
Sounds as if you could benefit from having a Buyer's Agent, who will represent your best interests, keep your information confidential and be your advocate. The Listing Agent works for the Seller and is going to be looking for the best deal for the Seller.

If you know anyone in the area who has bought in the community, you may want to start by asking who their agent was and what they thought of them. Definitely consider getting your own representation to work in your best interest.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 27, 2014
I have a listing coming up for a 2 bedroom in Laguna Woods, give me a call and we can discuss. it is not on the MLS as yet. Frances 949-456-9777
I am an Exclusive Buyer's Agent, a Resident Broker here in Laguna Woods Village with over 20 years experience. Feel free to call, TEXT or email me at your convenience for private showings: dawn@afrcapital.com CELL: 760-707-3040

Dawn E. Stanley
AFR Johnston Stanley Realty
CalBRE 01164589
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am a Resident/Broker. Sometimes there are Agents or Brokerages that get too comfortable with convenient business - such as they are located in an area where the public believes they are working with an office or agent that will give them better service whereas the opposite is true. Sometimes you can tell by how much detail is given in a LISTING - Agents that are too lazy to write much about the home, or show only a couple photos are in my opinion doing the Seller a disfavor, this is also a way of just holding onto the Listing for Buyers as it gets their phone to ring - some agents even make it difficult to show a home, after awhile, other agents/realtors will just avoid working with that agent or that office, which is sad, because it hurts the Sellers and the Values within the community.

Good Luck with your search. I have over 20 years experience, which does make a big difference. I live right here in Laguna Woods Village and as the Broker/Owner - I have low overhead and flexibility to negotiate more easily.

Dawn Stanley
CalBRE 01164589
You are the FOURTH party lately to have unfortunate experiences with that local LW agency. Luckily, there are professional realtors who are happy to help and are knowledgeable. When they think they have cornered the captive audience no matter how they treat them; it can be a recipe for disaster and poor service. There is no excuse for unprofessional behaviour particularly when they represent LW to outsiders who do not know any better.
As a Resident/Broker, I take great care to build relationships to last a lifetime. I have over 20 years experience, which does make a difference! Some agents are new, yet you would never know... this puts the Buyer and Seller at risk. You can look up any Agents license on the California Bureau of Real Estate to see if they have any violations. I have never had a violation in over 20 years. I have a home office and love Laguna Woods Village. I am a Buyer's Agent, so I do not try to steer Buyers to any listing in particular, which most agents are trained to do...
Flag Tue Sep 16, 2014
Hi Sun,

You do need to have your own broker representing you, as many of the other realtors have advised in this forum.

Laguna Woods is a special real estate practice because of the income and asset requirements and numerous other rules set by the homeowner's associations here.

To feel secure that your interests are the only consideration, and to help you understand the unique issues here, select a broker-realtor who lives here and has lots of experience working in Laguna Woods.

We have a number of Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and Taiwanese-speaking agents because of our large and growing Asian-American communities, in case you're more comfortable doing business in a native tongue. My late partner Nicole was conversant in all these languages and I know many of our clients felt more relaxed in communicating with her.

In any case, I've lived in Laguna Woods for more than 10 years and for all that time served as a realtor for homebuyers from all over the world.

Website: LagunaWoodsRealEstate.info

Please contact me if you'd like more advice, information and help with your search.

Jeff Yoncich
(949) 636 3770
3121 Via Serena North, Unit B
Laguna Woods, CA 92637
BRE Broker #01414118
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 31, 2014
Hi Jeff,
We are senior couple in Nevada and like to find a right place for retirement living, would you please give us a phone# which we can speak in Chinese or Taiwanese
here is our email:foxtrot1552@yahoo.com
Thanks and Regards
Frank Lin
Flag Wed Jun 11, 2014
All it means is that you met an agent who isn't right for you. You'll want to work with a buyer's agent whose job is to represent your best interests.

Interview some agents to determine who is the right fit for you. My broker is very familiar with Laguna Woods and is also a resident there. If you'd like him to contact you let me know.

In the meantime, don't let your initial experience sour you. There are good agents out there who will represent you well. Pick one and go shopping.
Hi Sun!

Great that you are moving down here! This is a great place to live. Quite different from SF, but great nonetheless! Anyway, are you working with your own agent? That can really help if you have had bad experiences with a specific brokerage or listing agent. I generally recommend that people use their own buyers agent anyway, because a buyers agent will look out for your interests and negotiate on your behalf. If you work with the listing agent, you should know that the listing agents loyalty is always first and foremost to the seller. This can put the buyer in an awkward position.

Anyway, if you need a local buyers agent I would be happy to represent you. I am based out of Laguna Beach and very familiar with this area. Otherwise I can also give you some recommendations for agents based in Laguna Woods.

Please feel free to contact me anytime!

Have a great day,
Jaleesa Peluso
Laguna Beach Realtor at Berkshire Hathaway
You should use us we give free granite countertops or a commission refund.

Neal Prochoren
(949) 500-1680