Home Buying in Grand Prairie>Question Details

Jessica, Home Owner in Decatur, GA

I just recently found out that my house is in violation of a building code regarding the installation of the plumbing.

Asked by Jessica, Decatur, GA Sat Feb 19, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


T.E. Sumner’s answer
Depending on what the violation is, you should remedy it or not. Here is the reality: the national codes change every few years and add requirements for builders that weren't there years earlier, and municipalities have the power to ordain additional requirements that are not in the national codes.

So, what was considered safe and effective years ago may not be considered that now. Does it really mean that everyone must drop what they're doing and change their water heater so its 18" off the floor or add arc interrupters in their bedroom electric? Safer is better, but there is a point where we all just grandfather those old ways, rather than change our electric and plumbing every few years to keep up.

Usually code changes indicate that some problems were found and the powers that be decided to force everyone who builds new or touches that item to bring it up to code. No, they don't normally force you to comply, unless you are building or re-modeling and touch that item.

Should you? This is your call. If it made sense years ago the way it was built, but not now that's one thing, but if it was built wrong to that old code, you should definitely have it remedied. Talk to a professional about the consequences of not changing if you have a choice and then decide.
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 20, 2011
You need to address those issues with the city

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
This is more of a statement than a question. What are you attempting remedy?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
Perhaps your question was cut off--what particular information are you looking for...if looking to sell, it's in your best interest to rectify the violation--if you just purchased and weren't aware, you may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
Check with your local zoning and planning department in your area. Some states have grandfather clauses wherein, if it was installed according to the code at the time, you may be exempt. They should be able to give you the answers you are seeking.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer