Linda Jeffer…, Home Buyer in Greenwich Village, New...

I just received my Ph.D at NYU, and would like to stay in the village. I don't know if I want a loft or regular apt, what are the pros &

Asked by Linda Jefferson, Greenwich Village, New York, NY Mon Jan 2, 2012

cons of each? I would need a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom

Hi Linda

Happy New Year and Congratulations on your Ph.D!

Welcome to making a new choice/decision in your life. As many of my colleagues below have pointed out the pro's and con's of owning a Loft apt vs a 1-bedroom home, I think its best if you visited them all. I have had buyers say to me " I want a loft" and ended up buying a traditional cookie cutter one-bedroom. And vice versa. So my advise to you is make the time to view them all and you will be happy you made an informed decision. I also concur with the others that you are be best off working with a Buyer broker to guide and navigate you through out the process one step at a time.

I have represented buyers mostly and worked the downtown market since 2001, and would love to be of service to you. Should you wish to, feel free to contact me at I can assist you by sending you all the available listings in your price-range both co-op and condo, set-up and accompany you on the showings, give you sold and active comps, help you with mortgage brokers/bankers/attorneys and making offers. All the way to the finish line.

All the Best in your search and Good Luck,

Veena Prakash
Associate Broker
Rutenberg Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 3, 2012
Hi Linda, congratulations on your accomplishment.
Are you looking to rent or buy?
My office is located in the heart of Greenwich Village and i have been doing this since 1997, i know of every best deal in our area; rentals or sales.
For rental info check out or for my sales exclusives in the area at 180 Thompson St or 177 Thompson St.
I would love to help, but you will have to contact me.
I am easily reachable at 646-739-7622 or

Once again, sincere Congratulations in your accomplishment.
Please call me at 347-903-6736. My name is Padmini and I would be happy to help you. Thank you and good luck.
Dear Linda,

While it is an excellent accomplishment to receive your Ph.D at NYU, the buying power you have at this very moment depends on a few factors. If it were up to me, someone who has not earned a PH. D., I can recognize your earning potential and stability in your potential as a stable citizen in the neighborhood. However banks do not think along those same lines, and hence, is a factor as to why they are in so much trouble financially. With that said, your best approach to deciding on what type of property to purchase is to first get pre-qualified for a mortgage. In this way, you will know in advance what you have to spend, and can purchase. Once you know your price point, you can then begin to focus on whether or not a loft or an apartment is best for you at this time.

Let me conclude by recommending to you that the most important thing you can do for yourself at this time, aside from getting pre-approved for a mortgage commitment, is to choose to work with a Buyer's Agent. A Buyer's Agent works on your behalf, and is free for buyers because the seller pays the commission. It is important to know that if you planned on responding to apartment listings online, in the NY Times, etc., etc., you will be responding to ads placed by the Seller's Agents. These agents work for, are paid by, and represent the Sellers, in order to sell the properties that they represent, for as much money as possible. A Buyer's Agent works to save the buyer time and money while helping them find, and purchase their dream home. The Buyer's Agent is motivated to do this because it is far more valuable to get the referrals, and the future sale listing, from the buyers that they worked with.

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch... I hope you consider letting me work for you.

Lindsey Newman
Senior Real Estate Sales Associate
It all depends on your budget. There are not many loft buildings in Greenwich Village but rather in Soho, Flatiron, and Tribeca. Mini lofts tend to run 3000-4000 and larger lofts broadly range from 4500-The Moon. Its all about your budget. I beds in the village start for tiny 1 beds at 2300 and lux 1 beds 4000-7k
Hi Linda!

Congratulations on your achievement!

Now that you are ready for your next step in life, choosing an apartment has a lot of options to decide. However, there are 2 things that are very important: your financial situation and what you like. That takes me to your question: loft or regular apartment? Many of my colleagues below mentioned many pros and cons, like the lack of privacy in a loft or the preference by more buyers for a regular apartment.

Buy what you like and can afford.

Trust in a real estate broker to represent you and work in your behalf. Have in mind that sellers might have representation too.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to work with an agent or for any additional questions.

Laura Thierer
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Homestate Properties
p: 212-693-9000
f: 212-693-9010
m: 914-426-0075
Hello Linda, Great question. It comes down to what budget you are carrying and if you want to climb a ladder each night before retiring. There are a variety of listings available. Would you like to have a conversation about Village listings? I would be delighted to share any information that you may need. 917-294-4225.
Take a look at a few lofts & see if you like the setup. Remember lofts may be larger but lack a lot of privacy as they are basically just one room.
I'm going to be contrarian here because I've had enough people say to me, "No lofts." People with young children in the household, or frequent house guests, or a room mate, or who want as much privacy as possible for their at-home work or musical practice, or who plan a traditional decor, all tend not to want lofts. That's my experience.

As I love to say: Real estate is an investment whether you like it or not. I believe one bedrooms are easier to resell than an equivalent loft, especially since the loft owner expects people to pay a premium for owning one.

That said, if you plan to be there for at least 5-10 years, it probably doesn't matter from an investment standpoint which configuration you choose.

Consider inviting a broker to help you--we all work with buyers as well as sellers. The sellers' broker happily works with buyers' brokers, it's normal in Manhattan, and both agents share the commission, which is paid by the seller.

Your own broker/agent will be able to pull data about the history of the property you're interested in, and help you choose a reasonable offer to make, and will negotiate hard on your behalf. This is the biggest investment of your life (perhaps even more than you invested in your education) , and you want to be as informed as possible.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg LLC
212-688-1000 x146

You have some great answers here, First of all I want to Congratulate you on your great achievement and now that you are moving forward to the next chapter in your life, get an expert in your area of preference. Once you make the connection with an agent, there are no boundaries!

Best of Luck!

Millie Valentin
RE/MAX Voyage
1930 Williamsbridge Road
Bronx, NY 10461
Hi Linda,
Sounds like you have arrived at a new phase in your life. Personally I think you need to look at both lofts and regular apartments and see what feels most comfortable to you. Finding a home is a very personal and visceral experience, I have been a downtown broker for over 12 years and would love to talk to you about your priorities and budget to better advise you. Please contact me
Brahna Yassky
VP Brown Harris Stevens
Dear Linda,

Congratulations on your Ph.D. The Village is a wonderful area of the City and you will have some decisions to make before considering looking for an apartment.

1. How much money are you alocating for a downpayment?

2. Coop or a Condo?

3. Coops require a minimum of 25% down and you will have to show a full finacial statement, go through a board approval proccess. Coops are cheaper, price per square foot but you will need to have a more substantial financial statement to show with funds in liquid after closing. Coops are conservative, in most cases require the apartment to be your primary residence.

4. Condos: much easire for a buyer, less requirements, you may purchase in your name or in an LLC, with a family member, a board package may be require but no board approval proccess. You will need to simply show that you have the money to purchase (no extra funds needed after closing).

Once you have established what is the best for you, even if financially both coops and condos are of interest, then you consider looking for the best one bedroom/ one bath on the market in the area.

Being a loft, a brownstone apartment or a doorman building. Wish you the best for 2012 and happy to represent you on the search for a new home. If you wish to reach me may I ask that you email me at

Best regards, Maria Pashby
Hi Linda,

My answer is pretty much the same as the rest. It will depend on the individual space that you see.
Everything is a factor, neighborhood, building amenities, the actual apartment, etc.
Please feel free to call me and I can assist you in viewing several apartments to help find you the right one.

Annette Holmgren
Bond New York
401-837-9445 c

Everyone's answers are pretty much on the money. Only you can answer what the pros and cons are to each living space, and to do that is would behoove you to get in contact with a real estate professional and go view a few apartments and a few lofts. Usually you will find lofts in low rise buildings rather than high-rise buildings. If you would like to further discuss or would like for me to find you some samples of both, please contact me at your convenience.

Thomas Sourasis
Bond New York Real Estate
Rather than focusing on the pros and cons, consider your finances and lifestyle; in what arrangement would you be happiest residing. Keep in mind that the choice is really a matter of personal preferences, do you find the openness appealing....
Hello Linda,

I would have to concur with Jennifer. Your best route is to contact a local real estate professional to assist you in the process every step of the way.

A big part of this is just personal preference. I personally love the industrial feel of a loft and like to work with raw spaces. If you're creative the possibilities are endless with a loft because it's really more of a raw space as opposed to a structured apartment. Many have high ceilings and large windows - both which are a plus for many. On the other hand high ceilings and loft spaces can be more difficult to heat & cool as effectively as a traditional apartment and there is less division between rooms so for individuals that need privacy and quiet that might be a challenge. Also, very often a loft space will have one wall of windows & 3 walls that are interior and so the light is concentrated on one end of the apartment. I could go on and on feel free to reach out if you want to discuss further @ Good luck!
It's not so much what are the pros and cons of a loft or a regular apartment in the W. VIllage. It is what you can afford. Loft are more coveted in Manhattan, especially the W. Village--so they will command a premium.

You now have the opportunity to search approximately 20,000 exclusive listings, representing the entire database of residential listings available through the membership of the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY).

These are the most accurate listings you can find in NY because they come from the brokers themselves; there is no bait and switch, no duplicates, and no opens; and are updated every hour.

If there is anything that you are interested in seeing via the listings which have building information, taxes, floorplans, etc. Pleas feel free to reach out to me at your convenience.

Jennifer Chiongbian
SVP/ Associate Broker
Rutenberg Reatly NYC