Home Buying in Chatsworth>Question Details

Michelle Mon…, Renter in Panorama City, CA

I just found out that my offer has been accepted on a HUD home. The power and water are off. How am I supposed to do a home inspection?

Asked by Michelle Montoya, Panorama City, CA Sun Sep 9, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


On a HUD home it's your responsibility to turn on the utilities for inspections.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 17, 2012
That's something your agent needs to discuss with you and should be discussing with you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
I would suggest you and your agent refer to the terms of the accepted purchase contract . As an agent dealing with short sales on a regular basis, I try to anticipate potential problems, such as utilities, etc. and establish in the initial offer and subsequent counter offers, who is to be responsible for utilities being on at time of the inspections.

Some utility companies will allow services to be turned on by a 3rd party, even with an outstanding unpaid utility bill. In some areas, especially Palmdale, Lancaster, the water company will not allow water to be turned on in the name of a 3rd party unless the outstanding bill is paid in full and the water company does not care that the party who pays the outstanding bill was not the previous account holder who failed to pay their bill.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012

I have run across this situation with increasing frequency. The seller is not willing to pay to keep the utilities on so if buyers want to conduct inspections that depend on them being on it is on the buyers to reactivate them. It is a risk because you want to know that things are in working order, but you have to bear the burden & expense of the utilities in order to make that happen. I would have my agent talk to the listing agent and see if they might be willing to assume the responsibility of reactivating the utilities. If not, you need to decide how much you want the house - enough to pay to reconnect the electricity so you can comfortably move forward? I feel like this is becoming a new expense for due diligence. It is a tough spot to be in.

Good luck.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Ask your agent. The listing will usually state who they want to be responsible for power and water to be turned on.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
It is best you ask your Real Estate Agent for utilities to be turned on. It is usually done by listing agent.

Hope this info will help you!

Please contact me anytime!

Free Consultation 424-777-9377

Help with any Real Estate Transaction Buy & Sell!

Thank you for your time.

Should you have any questions - please feel free to call me Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 (1-855-878-7855)  ext. 777.

Sergey Fednov
President - Realtor
- Trust Sale Realty -
Residential & Commercial Real Estate
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55
Toll Free: 1-855-878-7855
Phone: 424-777-9377
Fax: 310-356-4925 http://www.TrustSale.com 
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
You need to contact the listing agent and ask him to connect the water and power.
If you need more infor call iriscat 818-224-4600
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer