Home Buying in Wallkill>Question Details

Lauren, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I just found out my realtor, is going on vacation the day of my closing. Is this typical? He said the lawyer can take care of it. Is this right?

Asked by Lauren, New York, NY Fri Oct 9, 2009

Answers

7
Hi Lauren
When I go to a closing, I usually just sit there, smile a lot, and take my commission check back to the office! I am not trying to be facetious, (well, maybe just a little humorous) but there is very little, if anything , the agent does in regard to the actual closing. That's the attorney's big day! From what JR told you already, it seems that NY works the same as NJ in that respect.

I have been to some closings where the attorney didn't even invite the agents into the conference room! (the nerve!). Fortunately, most attorneys are a lot friendlier, and pull up a few extra chairs for us.

The one thing that is important, though, is the final walk through. If you're the buyer, not the seller, make sure your agent has someone covering to do the walk through with you. If there are any issues, they can be called in, ahead of time, to the attorney, and worked out at the closing table.

Good luck with your closing..............
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
The truth of the mater is that all the agent does at the closing is sit on the sidelines and offer moral support. We all would like to be there because honestly it's payday and not many people wants to miss that.

Everything that needed to be done by the agent has been covered prior to the closing and if there is some sort of question that may come up it will be of monetary value or legal issue and would be decided by the folks selling or buying with the guidance of their respective attorneys.

At some closings there are only the attorneys, providing that the buyers, sellers or both have given their individual attorney the power to sign for them.

In the case where an agent has had unforseen circumstance arise he/she will usually contact their broker or another agent to fill in the gap with a walk through.Phone service is usually available at most places so feel comfortable that your agent will be checking to ensure that the closing is going smoothly.We're only human and have life issues as you do.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 11, 2009
PS Lauren...in regard to the final walk through..............I just did a recent blog, here on trulia, on what exactly to look for when doing that.......feel free to take a look.
Hope it helps!
Good luck.........
Debbie
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 10, 2009
I agree with the answers above that the agent has very little to do at closing. However, the agent is responsible for the walk-through. Even if the walk-through is done a day or two prior to closing, someone
needs to check the property on the day of closing to make sure it hasn't burnt down (it's happened!) and
to ensure that the property is in the same condition as it was when the offer was made. In my opinion, the
agent should have one of her colleagues cover for them.

Nancy Brenner
Coldwell Banker Village Green
Web Reference: http://www.nancybrenner.com
Sometimes scheduling conflicts occur and are beyond our control. The agent may very well have had this vacation planned long before the closing was scheduled. As much as many agents would like to go to closings, it's really just for support and to see the deal through to the end. The title company and attorney handle everything business wise at a closing.
Greetings,
Unfortunately the lawyer represents the money, not you. You should check to see if your agent has a 'friend' who can attend the closing with you.

The attorney should be willing to take the time to answer any questions that you may have.

Why don't you ask the attorney for the closing docs in advance so that you can read them. It will not be a popular request, but you do have that right...ESPECIALLY since you will be unexcorted and already feel SLIGHTED by your realtor.

Sounds like this is your first home...

Good luck...it's not scary...just make sure the MATH is right on the HUD-1.
Speaking as a NY Realtor, I can tell you that in lower NY, there is very little an agent does at a closing. Your attorney will be doing all the work.