Question Details

Eddiewelder, Home Buyer in Menifee, CA

I herd interest rate will be going down to 2.50 is this true

Asked by Eddiewelder, Menifee, CA Tue Oct 2, 2012

Answers

5
Good afternoon Eddiewelder,

I've been a Mortgage Banker for 23 years. There is not one person anywhere who can predict future interest rates. If you'd asked me in 1989 if I ever thought interest rates could be as low as the 3's and 4's we're seeing today I'd have looked at you funny but I would have said the same thing: no one can predict the market.

Trevor Curran
There's not a single Realtor on this site, nor any economist in the country who can answer your question with any degree of accuracy.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
If it were possible to predict where mortgage interest rates are headed then that person could make a killing in the bond market.

2.5% seems exceedingly low. Investors would demand greater yields (even 3.5 percent, after bearing through risks, seems a paultry sum by historic standards).

The Federal Reserve Bank's QEIII initiative may be able to push rates just a little bit lower (by flooding bond markets with cash) but its doubtful whether 2.5% would ever come to fruition. Bear in mind that even if rates went down to 3 percent, a flood of new applicants looking to refinance their properties would quickly push the rates back over that threshold.
I have spoken with many direct lenders over the past 5 days and they don't expect 30 year fixed loans to decrease below 3.0% - 3.25%. If you are open to other loan products you will definitely be able to obtain a conforming loan (up to $417,000) under 3.0%.

Now is the time to take advantage of historic record low home mortgage rates.