Nicole, Home Buyer in Brokklyn,NY

I have to relocate to Philadelphia and wondered about the University City area. Specifically the 4900 block

Asked by Nicole, Brokklyn,NY Sun Jun 29, 2008

of Chestnut between 49th and 50th. That area seems to border another neighborhood.

.’s answer
Hi Nicole,

If you haven't found a home yet and are still interested to live in University City, we're renting our home on Osage Ave. Please see the following web-site for more information:

The University city district is a fantastic area. Depending on your time frame to move here, I have a couple opportunities for you that only a real estate investor, like myself, can provide. 1 is a 3 bedroom on the 4700 block of OSAGE that you could be in for $215,000. I could even hold the mortgage for this one for 24 months if you don't want to get a mortgage right away. The other is a 4 bedroom on the 400 block of 48th street that is being totally rehabbed, that will go for $315,000 once it is complete in early October. Check out my website for more details
Web Reference:
This block is within the boundaries of The University Special Services District. The District provides extra security, street cleaning and neighborhood support. Millions of dollars are budgeted for area improvements.

You can read more in their 2008 Report. I can send you of you like - or - they have a storefront office on Chestnut @ 46th.

If you need help in finding a suitable house, write me @ There is no commission charge to House Buyers.
Nicole, I lived on 48th St in 1991, and owned a home on 46th St from 1994 - 2004. 49th - 50th around Chestnut is not safe at night. It's too close to some really horrible projects a couple blocks north. My sister lived on 49th St. a couple blocks north of Baltimore Ave. and didn't feel safe there either. I wouldn't live west of 48th St (although its okay to go there during the day - but really, there's nothing there to go for - no shopping or recreation there), and then the parts from Walnut south to Baltimore Ave are the safest. And I have a more liberal-larger idea of what's safe than a lot of other people I know. But the areas east are very nice. If you get something in the "catchment area" for the Sadie Alexander school, you'll pay more but you'll be in the nicest nice area.
I know you have had several answers. I live in University City close to 49th and Chestnut. So if you would like a tour, just let me know, no obligation to anything. Have a great 4th of July!
Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods similar to Brooklyn. Neighborhoods can change from one street to the next, but with more and more people moving into the urban centers the boundaries are shifting and neighborhood characteristics are changing. Sometimes, it's just better to walk the various neighborhoods with your Realtor one weekend just to get a flavor of them and define your search area. Hope this helps.
Web Reference:
Hi Nicole,
First, welcome to Philadelphia. This is a great City with much diversity, as is Brooklyn; I visit my sister from time to time when she performs there. In response to your question, the area you are asking about is revitalizing, because there is a mixture of students, as well as the homeowners living in the area. The area has many shops, diverse eateries, and is accessible to public transportation. It is all relative to what you are interested in, type and price of home, and what you prefer to do in your spare time. If you may have any questions feel free to give me a call, there is no obligation. Again welcome to Philly and have a safe and enjoyable move.
Hi Nicole,

I've sold a number of homes in University City and I agree with the Somers - you should drive around that area during the weekend and evenings. If you're not already working with a realtor - my business partner has done alot of relocations and can give you a tour of that neighborhood and the rest of University City.

Please don't hesitate to call me on my cell or e-mail me any questions you may have.

Carolyn Perlow
Keller Williams Realty - Center City
215-219-0660 cell

What particularly would you like to know about the area? What type of home are you looking for? I'd be happy to assist you in finding suitable housing that fits your criteria. Feel free to visit to see all the available homes for sale. or You can call me toll free at 1-888-818-0957.

Jeremy S. Hill, Realtor
Keller WIlliams Realty

A have a close friend that owns a home on 50th & Osage avenue. His family is very happy there. They have two children and they walk the streets daily without hesitation. As long as your not a virgin to city living this neighborhood is a great buy. You'll be living on the fringe, but the neighbors I have got to know are very nice. The area is diverse by choice, and younger families are buying here. Good luck and welcome to Philly!

I would recommend to visit the block at night and on the weekend. That block certainly stretches the boundries of University City. Also, your price ranget would be an important consideration. Closer and in the heart of Univercity city will be much more than the borders per se. Conversely, the room for growth and appreciation would certainly be on the borders and edges as well. It will come down to personal preference.

I would suggest to visit the crime statistics at the following link:

You can also search all the properties in that area and Philadelphia at our website at the following link:

Feel free to call or email with any specific questions and view our website below for more helpful hints.

Good luck !