Home Buying in Las Vegas>Question Details

Mysusan, Other/Just Looking in 91801

I have these awesome, original wall-mounted lamps, like back from the 30's. They work great and add charm.

Asked by Mysusan, 91801 Mon Sep 9, 2013

Is there any "rule of thumb" about updating fixtures in the home, like how many years old?

Answers

7
I am assuming that your home is for sale. Since these are antiques and may be worth a lot of money or may be more sentimental to your family (i.e. how they were collected, family gave them to you, etc), my first advice to you would be to get those fixtures off the walls and ceilings and replace them with something else. The things people see in a home, they want. It becomes a sticky issue when selling (even if disclosed that they don't go with the home) that people will make an offer based on getting those fixtures thrown in with the price of the home. Replace these fixtures before the home goes on the market with serviceable and inexpensive fixtures that people won't get excited over. The same thing goes for custom mirrors as well. Your home will sell faster and with fewer problems if things like this are gone before the people start coming. Your question is excellent. Few people realize how important it is to get items like this removed from the home before the showing starts.

I had a listing where the homeowners had a $8,000 dining room chandelier. They did not want to take it down before they actually moved. Every offer we got (even though disclosed that it didn't come with the home) was worded "property to include the chandelier currently in the dining room." We lost 2 cash buyers before they finally took the chandelier down and we then sold the home w/o the expensive chandelier, but with another one that looked nice as well (but didn't cost $8,000).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 9, 2013
There is not set rule. The beauty of it is, it is your home, choose away. With that being said, some HOA's are specific about outside fixtures and some electrical outlets have to be up to code. If you are interested in adding value for resale, it may only appeal to some buyers. Also, do they hold sentimental value to you, may be worth keeping if house is listed.

Chad Roberts
Broker/Salesperson
Realty One Group
There is no rule of thumb for this. It is different case by case.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Robert Adams
Broker/Salesman
The Adams Team at
Rothwell Gornt Companies
C:702-349-9175
F:702-932-8826
RobertAdams@LVrealestateHELP.com
http://www.LVrealestateHELP.com

CONNECT with me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-adams/2a/971/a93/

LIKE me on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Adams-Team-at-Rothwell-Go…

FOLLOW me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShortSalePros
This post is in the Las Vegas section so I assumed you were in NV. I wish you all the best with the sale of your home and the move. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me. Take care.
Flag Fri Sep 20, 2013
It will be a while....I need to put some money together to pay for my move and storage and some fixes. I am not in Nevada!
Flag Thu Sep 19, 2013
I think it all depends on the home. If the home is all original and of the same era as the lamps, you might want to leave them. Alternatively, if the home is more modern, replace the fixtures and keep them.

Jeffrey Sklar
It's half and half, Jeffrey. I got rid of all of those awful linoleum floors, yuck and replaced them with tile. It had been a rental for a period of time and I still sometimes am doing clean-up from abuse!
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
I totally agree with Myra, Take if down if you want it. What people dont see, they wont miss.If you want to add them , then make sure the Agent really talks them up, it may help sell the house.

One year I put this womans house up for sale, she had two huge pineapple palm trees in her front yard, they were so beautiful, and she told me she had some people from MGM properties offer her 6,000 for each one. I said and you didn't take it ???? She said she will. I told her if you are thinking about doing that, I need to hold off on listing the house till she has them removed, so she called the people and told them if they wanted them they would have to come remove them immediately and they did lol. But can you imagine you fell in love with the curb appeal right away and then when you move in the trees go out ....not a good situation :)
Some people like the vintage look. If they are operating well and they blend in with the charm of the home, leave them. More or less you want to update things that get worn like carpet and counter tops. Wall paper if it is yellowing, or dated replace it.
I agree with Tanya. Some Individualization may be a bonus.
It depends on the home. If you have recently updated it to be more of a 21st century home if it is something that stands out (in an open area) and you are trying to sell said home, you might want to have it removed and stored. However if it is something that is in a room that is individualized I think this could be seen as a bonus and lead the buyer to seeing more vision in the home.