cacabella, Home Seller in 11377

I have submitted my board application for a co-op. They already cashed the move in deposit which is refundable.Why would they cash this check now?

Asked by cacabella, 11377 Fri Aug 31, 2012

I have submitted my board application to purchase a co-op in Queens. They have already cashed most of the checks associated with the fees, but they also cashed the move in deposit which is refundable in the event we are not approved. Why would they cash this check now? Is this typical?

Answers

3
Not really, most co-ops wouldn't cash the move in check unless you moved in and there was damage. However, some might. Tell your agent to push for a meeting with the board, if you have an agent. If not maybe your attorney could assist with this, although most attorneys would not get involved with this aspect of the transaction.
You may ask the Co-Op board for refund depends how the check was paid for. Many times the check is for the possible damage to the building in the process of your moving in. If that's the case and you didn't damage anything in the process then you should be entitled to get the money back.
To find out if the Check is good.
When you've already moved in, it would be too late to find out.
thank you
Flag Fri Aug 31, 2012