doc067, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I have seen several properties in the 400-550 range that do not have garages, or any covered parking at all. How important is it to have a garage?

Asked by doc067, Chicago, IL Mon Jun 4, 2012

Answers

14
Matt Laricy’s answer
A garage is pretty important in that price range, as the majority of buyers in that range have a car. I would really value a place with a garage spot or at least a covered spot at that price point.
Garage parking in Chicago can REALLY come in handy in the winter! You can avoid frozen windows, snow, fighting for a spot, etc. And even in warmer months we can get a lot of rain (not this year!), which can leave water spots on your car after a nice car wash!

A private spot in general is good to have if you like to just park and walk into your home. And a garage is if you want that added protection from the elements. We have a lot of elements in Chicago, so you may want covered if it is a nice car. However, parking is one thing many people have to either sacrifice or pay more for when you move into the city. GOOD LUCK!
This depends entirely on your lifestyle and also what you intend to do with your property in 5, 10 or 20 years. Roscoe Village is currently easy to score a parking spot in, but who knows what the neighborhood will be like in 10 years.
It truly depends on the area and your need for a car. How easy is it to use public transportation or walk to where you need to go. Is there parking nearby that can be rented? Parking in certain neighborhoods is at a premium and does add value to the home. Many buyers in this price range will not even consider a home with no garage.
Having no garage would be a deal breaker for many home buyers, and will limit the resale pool. If you are ok without a garage and the home is a great deal when compared to other homes that sold without garages, then it certainly should be considered. Just be sure your Realtor and you do excellent due diligence on this.

If you require an agent to assist you and set up home tours and work with you on the research, we would love to assist.

Michael

Michael Vrielink
Managing Broker
Chicago Real Estate Artists
mvrielink@chicagorea.com

It depends on the neighborhood, some areas are easier han others to park on the street. For resale reasons, buying parking will make it easier to find a buyer when you go to sell in the future.

I am happy to help you find a place, my services are free to you as a buyer.

Ivan Sagel, ABR, SFR
312-515-7823
IvanSagel@DwellOneRealty.com
in your price range up to 550 K especially with the way our winters are often, and parking on the street is not only often difficult because of available space and more difficult in heavy snow falls. So it may be
ok for you now, but if you want to think about resale, you want to have at least one garage and hopefully additional parking space in the drive way.

By the way since you are asking the question here, I am wondering if you are working with a Realtor,
one who is familiar with the city and who will not only find you the right property for you and show them to you, but who will also give you advice, answer all your questions as that above and guide you through the entire buying process, protecting your interests and needs, and representing only YOU.
There will be negotiations for price and terms, discussions after inspection, the lending part etc. etc.

Do not do this on your own, and remember the buyers agent provide so many valuable services,
and he or she will be paid by the selling side at the closing table out of the proceeds for the seller.
So in other words the services are free to you, but make sure you do commit to one Realtor and
loyalty on both sides will lead to a pleasant and successful closing.

If you need a recommendation for a Realtor, let us know we gladly give you some good recommendations. My brokerage has several Chicago offices and many of our agents are
wonderful Buyers agents and know your area of interest Roscoe Village very well.

Good Luck to you and we hope your question was answered.

EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com

Covering the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes of the North Shore and with
partner agents all states of the US and properties worldwide
Free Advice, free market evaluations for Sellers and free daily listing info for Buyers
Edith speak French, German, Spanish & More

Edith - YouRealtor4Life! Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients and she always
goes the X-tra Mile with a SMILE for all her clients, buyers, sellers and

Have wonderful Day :)
Interested in my expertise, services, want to sign up for automatic home searches go to my website below.....
As an agent, I would recommend that in that price range, you should have at least one garage space. I am selling some amazing 3 bedrooms in the West Loop that are in that price range and we have had people walk away from buying because they were limited to only one garage space.

Granted street parking is easier in Roscoe Village for now, but it may not be forever.
Garage parking in Chicago especially in this area, is important to have for many reasons besides the luxury of having the snow off your vehicle come winter. One reason is to avoid any parking fines because Chicago is set up to make money off your side street, main street, lakefront, anywhere they are there enforcing fines. Crime makes it another reason why a garage pays, it much safer for you and your family to come in and out of the vehicle from the garage as well as less car break ins.

Garages do more than house your car, they can be used for other purposes besides putting that xmas tree in there till next year.

When you go to sell your property that garage is going to up your value.
Contact me to learn more about Chicago properties.

I am a garage lover! PRO GARAGE!

Emery Yost
I found 5 that do have garages. Let me know if I can email them to you. Garage is a big plus for many folks, yet as long as you have a dedicated parking space it's usually ok for most people.
Its important to most, especially car owners!
Do they at least have a deeded parking spot? Having a garage is nice cus you don't have to worry about your car getting hit randomly or broken into. Garages are great from my experience.
It is mostly a matter of personal preference. If none of the homes in that price range have a garage then it would be a consistent value added item.
very important..its a search parameter people use