Home Buying in Urbana>Question Details

Tt, Home Buyer in Urbana, IL

I have recently signed a purchase agreement recently. For home owner insurance purpose, I tried to ask the

Asked by Tt, Urbana, IL Thu Aug 27, 2009

seller the age of roof. Surprisingly, the seller did not provide the age, instead, they provide an odd answer saying a 2 year ago inspector told them the roof can last at least another 5 years. My question: is there any other way that I can know the age of roof? Are the sellers required to disclose the information by law?

Answers

2
Tt’s answer
Thanks for the answer. It's very helpful. A little bit more clarification:
The seller has lived in their house for 20 years. And I don't have an inspection contigency in the purchase agreement. However, the seller did a inspection right before listing. On the roof, it reads "General condition appears serviceable with signs of weathering, and aging. Regular maintenance and inspections are advised. Age of roof not known, it appears roof hs two layers of shingles. Algae along north side"
I guess my question: is it look like a sign of trouble? Are there laws in Illinois that requires seller to disclose similar information?

Thanks again.
Dear Home Buyer,
Well here it goes, if the Seller has lived in the home for a very long time, he or she should know when they put a new layer on the roof, or had a full tear off done.
On the other hand if when they bought the home, they bought it from someone who was in the house only for 2 years and did not know from the Seller before how old the roof was, then they do not know either...

An inspector, if you and I hope for your sake you did have an inspection done for your peace of mind, then YOUR inspector will be able to give you an app. idea of the what the roof looks like and how much you may still get out of it no exact age or exact life though.... So that just to explain that the Seller can really only disclose what they know, and this sellers case it may just be that when they either bought the home themselves their inspector told them how long the roof would still app. last....

You have two options a) call one or two roofers and have them look at the roof and hear what they have to say, (remember though they would like to get a job.... so careful - but it would not hurt to get an estimate from them at that same time, at least you know how much it would cost you and if you can live with that expense in a few years from now... b) then you have your own inspector go up on the roof and you listen to him

If the general information is that there is currently nothing wrong with the roof, and it has several years of life left (then here is my recommendation: Find a good solid roofing company in your area, and have them come in every year to check the roof, most companies do it for free, if there are little repairs to be done, they will do them at a minimal cost, but those checks and little fixes will extend the life of your roof! And then if and when the roof needs a new roof you can use that company.

Oh by the way one important issue
You can definitely find out if the roof has one layer, two layers or three layers, i. e. when there are problems do you only have to add a layer of shingles, or at that time will you have a tear off which is more expensive.

Good Luck to you and I hope my answer helped a little.
Edith Karoline, YourRealtor4Life
working always in the very BEST interest of her clients!
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
PS If you come across anyone who is moving to the city of Chicago, or any of the N and NW suburbs, or anywhere in Northern Illinois, please refer them to me... Thks!

These are usually my recommendations to my buyers and I am a Buyers Agent at heart...